Author Topic: Recruitment 2010  (Read 60026 times)

wicky

Recruitment 2010
« on: July 04, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
thought i would get it started.

Gasman are you having another go at it.

who else is trying.

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »
At this stage i will say a definite maybe...
All depends on wether the family is willing to put up with my moods and also if my business can cope with being ignored for several months in the hope of getting a job.
What about you you wicky? 8-)
I just want to help

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 12:19:14 AM »
lol @ gasman "definite maybe".

im hoping to have another shot 2010.

i like rollercoasters.

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
good for you Josh, how many times have you had a crack, how far into the process have you been?
Will be going for number five myself with cab ranking as far as i have been before.
Rollercoasters are a pain in the neck.
I like the fear of the unknown myself :wink:
I just want to help

wicky

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 02:17:20 PM »
At this stage i will say a definite maybe...
All depends on wether the family is willing to put up with my moods and also if my business can cope with being ignored for several months in the hope of getting a job.
What about you you wicky? 8-)

:|mmm good question unsure at this moment. knee still a bit funny, 3rd interview for new job tommorrow which if i get it, will mean my aspirations to be a firefighter will be gone. CFS dont want me either :?, maybe it will stay a dream to become a firefighter. :cry:

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 04:13:48 PM »
why dont CFS want you?
You too good for them? Or do they have too many members in your area. :|
I just want to help

wicky

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 09:02:38 PM »
why dont CFS want you?

a high number of exceptional candidates that live close to the station and have good availability to respond to incidents, my application has been unsuccessful.

im welcome to apply next year.

if i didnt get in this time its pointless applying next year.

wicky

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:03:40 PM »
SES look out here i come  :-o

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:34:19 PM »
why dont CFS want you?

a high number of exceptional candidates that live close to the station and have good availability to respond to incidents, my application has been unsuccessful.

im welcome to apply next year.

if i didnt get in this time its pointless applying next year.

Sad isnt it that people are turned away from volunteering their time...and theres brigades out there that cant get a truck out of the shed..

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:16:31 PM »
It dissapoints me to no end that there are people out there who are willing to give their time only to be told, "sorry come back next year".
Cant they just start you off in the training process to make things easier for next year. Even if they just start you off on the bare basics to get you close to being operational.
At SES we take people when ever we can get them, train them up, when a basic rescue course becomes available, slot them in and send them out to taskings once fully trained to the minimum level required. Might take six months before they get to be operational but if they are still there you know they are keen.
I just want to help

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 10:24:07 PM »
It dissapoints me to no end that there are people out there who are willing to give their time only to be told, "sorry come back next year".
Cant they just start you off in the training process to make things easier for next year. Even if they just start you off on the bare basics to get you close to being operational.
At SES we take people when ever we can get them, train them up, when a basic rescue course becomes available, slot them in and send them out to taskings once fully trained to the minimum level required. Might take six months before they get to be operational but if they are still there you know they are keen.

Some times there is just no room in the "boys Club" for new members...Sad but true.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2009, 10:32:27 PM »
by the same token....if the Brigade is at or over stupid SFCE limits and you arent within 5 or 6 minutes of the station....then its going to be difficult mounting a case to bring you onboard.

Sadly the CFS will only provide limited PPE, pagers, training and just about everything else to Brigades to meet there SFEC....after that, you are better not joining now just to be pissed off and leave because u cant do or get anything....better to try again next year when u can maybe get a slot and get trained as per everyone else.

The process isnt any different to the Mets......dont get in, try again....

wicky

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 12:08:38 AM »
by the same token....if the Brigade is at or over stupid SFCE limits and you arent within 5 or 6 minutes of the station....then its going to be difficult mounting a case to bring you onboard.

Sadly the CFS will only provide limited PPE, pagers, training and just about everything else to Brigades to meet there SFEC....after that, you are better not joining now just to be filtered off and leave because u cant do or get anything....better to try again next year when u can maybe get a slot and get trained as per everyone else.

The process isnt any different to the Mets......dont get in, try again....

yeah im in the boundary, 4min drive, unemployed they were looking for people who can do day call outs i saw all the other applicants on same night and some were not sharpest tools in the shed. they were under the sfce limits even said they would go over that because people leave during training.

their loss not mine ill go somewhere else.

PS i have a family member in MFS 31 years in service and he said i would make a good FF.
but thats his opinion.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 12:33:48 AM »
Sad as it may be, we have had to turn down vollunteers locally also, due to SFEC limits on numbers... CFS will only provide so much PPE and training.

Give your local SES a crack, and failing that, depending on how keen you are, vollunteer with SAAS perhaps.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 12:34:43 AM »

PS i have a family member in MFS 31 years in service and he said i would make a good FF.
but thats his opinion.

Maybe if you take a note from your mum, that might make the difference! :-D

Keep trying!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 04:24:10 PM »
Can you get your mum to write me a note JAFF ? :-D
I just want to help

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »

Multiple SES Units are doing recruitment drives at the moment. So the SES level 1 courses in some Units will start soon.

Not sure where you are, but have a look at http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/site/join_the_ses/ses_unit_locations.jsp to find your closest Unit.

If you are interested in Operations or Dogs, then specific Units are available. Some country Units have horses & motorbikes involved.

Volunteers are also being encouraged to look at higher rescue training. So an expansion path beyond the local Unit response now exists.

Has 'gasman' as found, the orange people are not that bad & it is fun.

If you need further information, give me a PM & I will try to help.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

wicky

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 12:12:18 PM »

Multiple SES Units are doing recruitment drives at the moment. So the SES level 1 courses in some Units will start soon.

Not sure where you are, but have a look at http://www.ses.sa.gov.au/site/join_the_ses/ses_unit_locations.jsp to find your closest Unit.

If you are interested in Operations or Dogs, then specific Units are available. Some country Units have horses & motorbikes involved.

Volunteers are also being encouraged to look at higher rescue training. So an expansion path beyond the local Unit response now exists.

Has 'gasman' as found, the orange people are not that bad & it is fun.

If you need further information, give me a PM & I will try to help.

Thanks. already spoken to my neighbour who is a member of SES, will be applying with them soon.

Unfortunatley my mum has passed on so i cant get her to write me a letter :-( im sure it would have helped  :lol:

Offline josh

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
good for you Josh, how many times have you had a crack, how far into the process have you been?
Will be going for number five myself with cab ranking as far as i have been before.

in 2007 i did the shuttle run, the interview & assesment, then pat 2, then personality profiling & testing. didnt go further than that.

from what i read on here, the order of testing has now changed.

this will be my second shot, i am in a much better position to try out again it think. i have picked up a lot since then & there was a massive stuff up i did in one of the tests as well. still enjoyable to do it all tho, doing pat 2 was a massive rush. 

Monger

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 12:45:41 PM »

in 2007 i did the shuttle run, the interview & assesment, then pat 2, then personality profiling & testing. didnt go further than that.

from what i read on here, the order of testing has now changed.

this will be my second shot, i am in a much better position to try out again it think. i have picked up a lot since then & there was a massive stuff up i did in one of the tests as well. still enjoyable to do it all tho, doing pat 2 was a massive rush. 

The only part of the recruitment process that changed in 2009 was the way the interview was structured because out of the 190 they interviewed 100 were interviewed in 2008 so it wouldnt have been fair on the first timers to have the exact same interview process

Offline jt1717

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »
Gasman, Josh, Wicky and others:
I was also applying for the SAMFS for a number of years.  It is very frustating to be unsucessful at the final stage and being told to start again from the beginning at the next recruitment whenever that might be.  I starting applying interstate also (qld and vic) and have now just finished my first year with Queensland Fire and Rescue Service and really enjoying it.  It is another option applying interstate, the procedure is similar, it will give you something to do while waiting for the SAMFS If you are not sucessful interstate it is good pratice and you will be more ready for when the SAMFS recruits again.  I'm glad I didn't give up.  It was definately worth persisting with.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:16:31 PM by jt1717 »

Offline lummox

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »
I was also applying for the SAMFS for a number of years.  It is very frustating to be unsucessful at the final stage and being told to start again from the beginning at the next recruitment whenever that might be.  I starting applying interstate also (qld and vic) and have now just finished my first year with Queensland Fire and Rescue Service and really enjoying it.  It is another option applying interstate, the procedure is similar, it will give you something to do while waiting for the SAMFS If you are not sucessful interstate it is good pratice and you will be more ready for when the SAMFS recruits again.  I'm glad I didn't give up.  It was definately worth persisting with.

Great point jt1717, at the moment the Northern Territory fire and rescue service are recruiting click here to check it out

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&p=281&m=35

wicky

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 06:14:52 PM »

thanks for telling us your story, just shows perserverance pays off. :-D

Great point jt1717, at the moment the Northern Territory fire and rescue service are recruiting click here to check it out

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/index.cfm?fuseaction=page&p=281&m=35

Offline MRF

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »
Applications for aviator firefighters are open now for S.A. positions.

wicky

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 09:09:24 PM »
website address ?