Author Topic: Career Structure SAMFS  (Read 28638 times)

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Career Structure SAMFS
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:01:44 PM »
G'day All,

Was wondering how the career structure works and how advancement up the levels/ranks works do you have to do a minimum time in each rank?. Also what is the rough income per year for each rank level.

Thanks in advance

Offline Hazmat206

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Adelaide 206 respond to reduced Hazmat...
    • View Profile
Re: Career Structure SAMFS
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »
Numpty,
You start of as a "firefighter", then after 6 years you to progress to a "senior fire fighter", after 2 years in that role, you are eligible to apply for a "station officer" when the job is open for applicants, then after 2 years in that role you can apply for "district officer" when the job is open for applicants.
Other roles that can be progressed in include fire commander, chief incident commander e.t.c

Hope this helps :wink:
206 to Adelaide fire,Incident #59,situation found 440, action taken 41,K45, over

Offline 24pumper

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 04:57:33 PM »
Numpty,
You start of as a "firefighter", then after 6 years you to progress to a "senior fire fighter", after 2 years in that role, you are eligible to apply for a "station officer" when the job is open for applicants, then after 2 years in that role you can apply for "district officer" when the job is open for applicants.
Other roles that can be progressed in include fire commander, chief incident commander e.t.c

Hope this helps :wink:

Chief Incident Commander, where does this fit into the picture?

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
Yay, lets make things up..

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 05:29:15 PM »
chief incident commander? filtered lol....sounds like...an aviation firefighter..."as much chance of a going job as winning the powerball"....and FYI..i bought Murphy an extra beer last night just to keep him sedated for the next century......
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:07:39 PM by Zippy »

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:54:34 AM »
Cheers Hazmat,

So as a senior firefighter what is the pay per year?

Thanks

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 12:05:23 PM »
Start as a trainee [drill squad] on 37k, then progress through the 7 classes [years] of firefighter, increasing salaries from 4th class at 55k, to senior [assuming you complete the required learning] where salary is roughly 70k

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 05:49:52 PM »
Start as a trainee [drill squad] on 37k, then progress through the 7 classes [years] of firefighter, increasing salaries from 4th class at 55k, to senior [assuming you complete the required learning] where salary is roughly 70k

Hmmmm....that 'put the nail in the coffic' of me ever joing MFS....not waiting 7 years to get back to current wage...I assume that is base wage though & shift allowances are additional ?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 11:16:58 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Monger

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 07:42:45 PM »

Hmmmm....that 'put the nail in the coffic' for me ever joing MFS....not waiting 7 years to get back to current wage...I assume that is base wage though & shift allowances are additional ?

No shift allowances on top of that. Most people who enter the MFS take a cut in pay, but i bet none of them regret it. You can always work in another job on your days off like a lot of guys do.Being in the SAMFS is not about the money. Its about the lifestyle.Do you currently work 4 days a week, followed by 4 days off for your 70k? Get paid to keep fit? Continous training and learning? Many other benefits that i wont mention, but believe me i went from about 80k a year and have just entered the MFS and i couldnt be happier. Why do you think hundreds of people apply each year to join, with many taking 3 or 4 or more attempts to get in. Think you should change your comment to "put the nail in the coffin" of me trying to join the MFS!!!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:50:09 PM by Monger »

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 10:21:38 PM »
Cause they obviously have nothing better to do with their time and they need a boost in the bedroom? :?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 11:15:41 PM »

Hmmmm....that 'put the nail in the coffic' for me ever joing MFS....not waiting 7 years to get back to current wage...I assume that is base wage though & shift allowances are additional ?

No shift allowances on top of that. Most people who enter the MFS take a cut in pay, but i bet none of them regret it. You can always work in another job on your days off like a lot of guys do.Being in the SAMFS is not about the money. Its about the lifestyle.Do you currently work 4 days a week, followed by 4 days off for your 70k? Get paid to keep fit? Continous training and learning? Many other benefits that i wont mention, but believe me i went from about 80k a year and have just entered the MFS and i couldnt be happier. Why do you think hundreds of people apply each year to join, with many taking 3 or 4 or more attempts to get in. Think you should change your comment to "put the nail in the coffin" of me trying to join the MFS!!!

Whoa...that was a personal opinion for myself. No offence intended. I have modified the original post as suggested. But obviously you saw what I mean't. Touchy....

I am glad you have the work-life balance you want. Yes, I have some of the advantages in my current workplace that you mention above. Not all though.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Monger

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 07:13:29 AM »
Sorry if i came across as being touchy or having a go at you, didnt mean to. Not many other jobs you can do a 3 month training course and start on around 60k(with travelling allowances). If you are thinking about applying next intake go and speak to some blokes already in the job and i am sure you will forget about the drop in pay. Best job in the world!!

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 11:23:41 AM »
It just goes to say, not everything is about money, and/or, money doesnt buy you everything.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 12:42:25 PM »
Being a firefighter is not the most skilled job
Entry level
CFS – 3 days and you can play
MFS - 14 weeks and you can play
Army 4 to 11 weeks, you can get shot at
Police 33 weeks, get shot and abused
Most Trades – 3 years
Ambo – 3 Years, than you get bandages

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 01:51:06 PM »

Hmmmm....that 'put the nail in the coffic' of me ever joing MFS....not waiting 7 years to get back to current wage...I assume that is base wage though & shift allowances are additional ?

All penalties are 'rolled in' on the salary, so thats it per year, plus any OT. As Monger said, i think the job is more so a passion and a lifestyle for most than about the money. Plus probly 2 out of 3 guys run second jobs.

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »
Now I'm confused  :? so 70K as a senior firefighter is the Max salary per year including shiftwork allowances/penalties. I would have thought that is a good wage?. So it's at least 7yrs after recruit training until you reach 70K?.

Cheers all.

Monger

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 06:48:50 PM »
Now I'm confused  :? so 70K as a senior firefighter is the Max salary per year including shiftwork allowances/penalties. I would have thought that is a good wage?. So it's at least 7yrs after recruit training until you reach 70K?.

Cheers all.

Yeah after the 14 weeks recruit course you start on about $56,000 plus travel allowances. The pay basically goes up $2000 per year as you move up a level. Obviously this does not include EBA pay rises.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 11:11:02 AM »
I would have thought that is a good wage?.

pretty good if ya ask me ;) ;)

anything