Author Topic: [NSW RFS] Petrol Tanker v Car - Fire  (Read 9335 times)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
[NSW RFS] Petrol Tanker v Car - Fire
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:29:23 AM »
One dead in fiery petrol tanker smash
Article from: AAP

August 07, 2009 08:49am

ONE person is dead after a fiery smash between a car and a petrol tanker near Parkes in NSW's central west.

The car was incinerated and police believe the driver, who died, was the sole occupant.

An investigation is under way to identify the remains of the driver.

The driver of the fully-laden truck managed to escape his vehicle before it exploded and caught fire on Orange Road about 1am this morning, police said.

He was taken to Parkes Hospital with minor injuries.

The blaze took three hours to bring under control, with 20 firefighters attending from the Rural Fire Service (RFS).

An RFS spokesman said a series of explosions coming from the tanker made it difficult to fight the blaze.

A number of firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, he said.

Police, paramedics, State Emergency Service and HAZMAT officers were at the scene and crash investigators were also sent.

Isnt it interesting that "A number of Firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation".  from a RURAL Fire Service.    Shows if we are to do any better than them, CABA needs to become a much higher priority in the CFS to be completed by many more firefighters.

There is also enough chance on our roads to cause a duplicate incident like that anywhere in the state of SA, "Class B" Foam in any highway brigades???
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 09:32:48 AM by Zippy »

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
Re: [NSW RFS] Petrol Tanker v Car - Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 10:04:23 AM »
lol we have 1200lt of A class foam in our station yet only 100lt of B class foam,  yet we cover a airport with Jet A-1 stores and Avgas Stores......sigh.

Anyway zipster its not only highway brigades! nearly every brigade with a decent size town and service station(s) gets fuel delivered by trucks of various sizes, and to put decent size stores of foam in each one would be a waste of time, but maybe a foam storage in strategic places would be good.

But meh in the end just call the air crane if its in summer :-D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:08:18 AM by Alan (Big Al) »
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 11:00:52 AM »
Nuriootpa has to have the best plan,  if its even 800+ Litres of B Class on a Car Trailer or is it just A Class? lol.

Just need to have a low cost airport tender....aka a more advanced 34P,  reduce it to 1500L of water and 1500L of foam.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:14:17 AM by Zippy »

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 11:19:02 AM »
1500L of Foam??? You will use a couple of litres of that with the 1500 L of water..

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 01:31:14 PM »
mmmm but you could say.. it could be the foam tank to all the other appliances at the job...

Aircraft Heavy Job,  1 Foam Tender appliance, a number dakka dakka 24's...all the B class ya want at 6% ;)

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:36:22 PM »
Or keep the truck full of water and bring a foam trailer?

I think dalkeith showed how much of a failure the remote controlled front mounted monitor was..

Also, if we started giving 'aviation spec' trucks to brigades with airstrips, I think you would find the cost astronomical. - There are alot more airstrips out there than people realise..

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 06:17:47 PM »
Plenty of old airport tenders for sale.... anyone for a Walter :-D
Images are copyright

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 06:35:22 PM »
I thought a large CFS trailer (I think with foam or retardant) already exists to support the large helicopter during the summer months.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 07:27:02 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 11:32:16 PM »
trailers....u have to be kidding me....please  :x

pumprescue

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »
Maybe it can be towed by the Hyundai van......

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 04:48:36 PM »
Haha.. Ah the Van.. :lol:

Crashndash: - What are we meant to do, give all these remote rural brigades who happen to have an airstrip which hasn't been used for 40 years, a Crash / Foam Tender??

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »
Haha.. Ah the Van.. :lol:

Crashndash: - What are we meant to do, give all these remote rural brigades who happen to have an airstrip which hasn't been used for 40 years, a Crash / Foam Tender??

why not a $900 shed onsite with some extra foam drums in it? You know....for that one in 200 year plane crash that...well, will frankly be extinguished for lack of remaining fuel, or be a wildfire but the time said brigade turns out and arrives

But then if it hasnt been used for 40 years....why are we bothering again??? Thats why u have command cars that can carry stuff.....other than GOs that are too fat to walk any more

or maybe we could just give them sacks and beaters.....

Offline firegun

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 05:50:18 PM »

I would like to see the $900 shed considering the cost of buildings the CFS do. It might just hold 1 drum of foam :-D :wink:

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 02:03:08 PM »

I would like to see the $900 shed considering the cost of buildings the CFS do. It might just hold 1 drum of foam :-D :wink:

let the Council build it (we all know they build cheap),.....after all its their risk, not ours. They are the ones getting the revenue from the airport users.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 02:56:07 PM »
Isnt it interesting that "A number of Firefighters were treated for smoke inhalation".  from a RURAL Fire Service.    Shows if we are to do any better than them, CABA needs to become a much higher priority in the CFS to be completed by many more firefighters.

There is also enough chance on our roads to cause a duplicate incident like that anywhere in the state of SA, "Class B" Foam in any highway brigades???

We've got plenty of B Class Foam.

I think you'll also find that most RFS brigades don't even carry CABA, let alone offer training, so the CFS is ahead in that respect.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 03:31:00 AM »
Go check your SFEC document. Page 44, 7.12 FOAM EQUIPMENT suggest that in areas with an RCR or Hazmt or High Structural Threat, group B Class (AFFF or ATC) foam stocks should be atleast 500L.

Do you know how many RFS brigades are CABA trained? There are 70,159 RFS volunteers and a mere 1,935 CABA operators...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 12:35:06 AM »
wow....theres 499 litres of expensive filtered that will become landfill then....

Can you explain to me what group doesnt have an RCR risk?.....is there a group without a vehicle or a road in it somewhere?

SFEC

Stupid  who Enjoy Committees

Admin Edit - Don't circumvent the expletive filter.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:32:24 PM by Firefrog »