Author Topic: Search at Paney Station 8th Sept  (Read 5624 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Search at Paney Station 8th Sept
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:25:51 AM »
Multiple volunteers paged this morning for a 12 hour shift in a land search at Paney Station. I think this is in the Gawler Ranges area.

Pt Lincoln SES
Whyalla SES
Pt Augusta SES
CFS Yalanda James
CFS Warramboo
CFS Wudinna
CFS Waddikee
CFS Warramboo
CFS Mount Damper
CFS Kimba
CFS Minnipa
CFS Cootra
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Search at Paney Station 8th Sept
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 12:19:04 PM »
CFS received stop call for the search via R6HQ at 1130
Andrew Macmichael

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 12:24:32 PM »
OK serious question...one wonders if I will get a serious answer from this forum...or just more baiting..... :-D    8-)

Some SES Units will have pre-made boxes that they swap into vehicles for land search (eg compasses, welfare, tents, maps, pencils, vertical, water, etc) which would not ordinarily be in the vehicle. Which boxes go in and which go out is dependant on the search area and information given.

With the distance that some of the CFS trucks would be potentially travelling to this search location, would you empty some water out of the truck to make it travel lighter ?

Andrew Macmichael

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 01:21:20 PM »
Wudinna is right next to the Gawler Ranges, - much closer than the bulk of the SES units that were called, so speed is not of the essence in this case.

Also, I reckon some of the appliance will travel more comfortably full then empty.....(or worse, half full!)

There were a number of pager messages last night, warning of a potential search today.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 01:27:32 PM »
pfft, out there, if you dump 2000 Litre's of water...you'd get shot.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:04:36 PM »
....Also, I reckon some of the appliance will travel more comfortably full then empty.....(or worse, half full!)....

Pip

Thanks. I was more interested in how the truck would handle for comfort of the passengers & 4wd capability rather than speed. I also assume the fuel range of the truck would increase with less weight.

In the past, on strike team deployment (eg KI, interstate) were the fire trucks driven full of water and fully loaded ? Or were they topped up when they got to staging ?
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 06:01:51 PM »
The strike teams I've been on have mainly been full tanks (not a good look if you come across a fire on the way to your main incident, and have no water!!!)

Although not a particular issue right now, in terms of rural fires.... !

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline calspec

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 09:16:40 PM »
From the AdelaideNow website....

"A KANGAROO surveyor has been found safe and well in the rugged Gawler Ranges after going missing for a day.

The Murray Bridge man, in his 60s, was last heard from about noon yesterday via his UHF radio.

He was part of a survey to determine the number of kangaroos in the Gawler Ranges National Park, about 200km west of Port Augusta.

STAR Group police joined in the search with Department of Environment and Heritage staff.

State Emergency Service volunteers also were called in to help in the search, with two spotters in aircraft.

A forward command post was set up at the Paney Station homestead."

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 12:14:41 AM »
pfft, out there, if you dump 2000 Litre's of water...you'd get shot.

Not if you 'dumped' it on a cocky's crop this time of year...every little bit helps.....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 10:57:38 AM »
With the distance that some of the CFS trucks would be potentially travelling to this search location, would you empty some water out of the truck to make it travel lighter ?

I'm not sure how much difference it would make for a 24/34, but we'll often leave our Tanker empty for a long trip home from a strike team.  (after assessing the risks of course...)

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 03:18:04 PM »
Dont travel with half a tank as it makes for a uncomfortable ride, and always travel home full, one of the neighbouring brigades found out the hard way when they arrived in their town empty were prompotly paged for a going domestic to arrive first and be absolutly useless.
Lt. Goolwa CFS

anything