Author Topic: anyone hear this one on the radio?  (Read 18960 times)

Offline riptide

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: anyone hear this one on the radio?
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 01:53:17 AM »
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 02:00:45 AM by riptide »

Offline firestorm

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 02:07:47 AM »
eppulaptes on green uniforms???
cadets do not where green uniforms and as for adult members and is a quick and easy way to see rank and skill level. as RN ambos and doctors each have diffrent markings...

As for the cadet may or maynot of been in an area of a stabbing...i myself was a cadet from the age of 11 i am now 21... i was always in the presence of an adult member...
in the case of the stabbing not cadet is allowed at an event where the risk maybe to high....any cadet under the age of 14 is not allowed on duty after 1800... as for a stabbing at the show...How often have we heard of any stabbings or any other incident of a high risk nature....some things are just unavoidable...HENCE THE SHOW IS A FAMILY EVENT....

Are we forgetting other services also use people of a youth in a support role under supervision... the royal life saving is also another service which uses them very heavly with a great outcome....

CFS cadets- yes arent exposed to that situation as it is a diffrent buisness altogether....as you do not use your people under 16 in an active role... but as for each service there is a parent permisson and im sure each service looks at each youth member indiuvally and accesses what they are and not capable of.....

as for st john cadets they are quite often 'off duty' and admistering first aid until further medical assitance arrives, which can be anything from a minor cut, to the old lady fallen over with a heart attack!!! Risks are apart of everyday life, all we can do is take precautions and minimise the effect that they may pose...

IAM also a cfs member, as for each organistion there are going to be negatives and positives to each organisation, I think we could all think of a few brigades or members where thinks could be improved...

if you can remember what organsation is there with cfs at large incidents providing first aid and eye washes....

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 02:50:41 AM »
if you can remember what organsation is there with cfs at large incidents providing first aid and eye washes....
dear God let it be that cute blonde SAAS Para that was at the Mt Bold fires first rotation....lololo  :evil:

Offline RescueHazmat

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 06:37:12 PM »
St Johns had Doctors, Nurses, Paramedics and ICP's at the event?..

I just had Sting and the Black Eyed Peas round to my house for Dinner too. . .

Offline straps

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 11:12:48 PM »

Hmmm, RescueHazmat - I have no personal reason to embellish the truth...
I can assure you that our State Professional Officer rostered a range of the abovementioned HealthCare Professionals for each day of the Show.

On the day I dropped in for 3 - 4 hours, there were several registered nurses (ED and/or ICU background) and a number of Enrolled Nurses.

Whilst I cannot provide exact figures, I can say that approx 10+ cases were treated on-site (by healthcare professionals) using National Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPG) and as such avoided both a hospital admission and SAAS  transport. These cases were referred to either their own GP or simply discharged back to the event.

In cases where referral on to a higher level of care was warranted, then where there was an accredited CPG clinician onsite, they would commence treatment using the CPG's, then assistance was then sought from SA Ambulance to transport the casualty/ies to hospital.

Cheers
Shane
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 11:15:51 PM by straps »

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »

Boom boom......

Firestorm -  if doctors, paras etc have markings to denote such qualifcations....who knows what these mean outside of the organisation??  You might know that a red bar denotes an RN, or a gold bar a para- but who else here knows that?  

Straps- This brings me back to the point of quality control- just because an RN volunteers their time - doesn't mean they're worth the ground they walk on if they struggle to cope working autonomously as an HCP without a doctor to run to all the time.   one could argue the point that a first aider with a calm demeanour and good communication skills would be more worthwhile!    

And on that note- we all know who your state 'professional' officer is......and trust me- that term is used very loosely around the office where he is concerned...one might even be forgiven for thinking that he only wears a black and white uniform on the weekends so he can fulfil his megalomaniac control issues that he's lost in SAAS with the management reshuffle of the last 18 months....

Offline Chinny

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 02:04:14 AM »
HAHAHA Boredy :-D SO SO SO TRUE :-D

Offline straps

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 07:39:27 AM »
Firestorm -  if doctors, paras etc have markings to denote such qualifications....who knows what these mean outside of the organisation??  You might know that a red bar denotes an RN, or a gold bar a para- but who else here knows that?

There has been a roll-out of visual identification for HCP's at major events, A hi-viz vest is worn with the clinical qualification displayed front and back, i.e. NURSE or PARAMEDIC or DOCTOR. This has several aims, 1) display to the patrons / public and event organisers that HCP's are at the event and 2) it additionally reinforces internally to our members that we have HCP's and who they are. At Clipsal 500, signage was also used to display what type of HCP was on duty.

Straps- This brings me back to the point of quality control- just because an RN volunteers their time - doesn't mean they're worth the ground they walk on if they struggle to cope working autonomously as an HCP without a doctor to run to all the time.   one could argue the point that a first aider with a calm demeanour and good communication skills would be more worthwhile!  

Great point Bordey and I accept that as objective criticism. We are starting to move towards a mentoring model for HCP's and student HCP's at events. One possible point worthy of note is that HCP's OTHER than Paramedic are answerable to Regulatory Bodies such as the Medical Board or Nurses Board. The fact that RN's, EN's and DR's are answerable to such a body should be seen (to some degree) as a measure of quality control due to the accountability factor. It's not perfect, and each profession has its rogues.  Paramedics have no such scrutiny and there are varying employers of "paramedics" within SA so accountability is less. Let me say though, there are many aptly clinically qualified HCP's, as well as have the experience and demeanour to perform in the pre-hospital environs.

And on that note- we all know who your state 'professional' officer is......and trust me- that term is used very loosely around the office where he is concerned...one might even be forgiven for thinking that he only wears a black and white uniform on the weekends so he can fulfil his megalomaniac control issues that he's lost in SAAS with the management reshuffle of the last 18 months....

Sorry Bordey but I am guessing that you are referring to our State Paramedic, not State Professional Officer. Our SPO is an experienced ED Nurse and he oversees the rostering / allocation of HCP's at event, as well as a key part of the CPG program. He is also responsible for clinical innovations and new equipment etc etc...

Cheers
Shane
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 07:44:55 AM by straps »

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 08:52:29 AM »
hahahahah gold......fair bump Straps....play on...

although I will say that Clinical innovation and The Jacks arent usually co-located in the same sentence

Offline straps

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 09:08:06 AM »
hahahahah gold......fair bump Straps....play on...

although I will say that Clinical innovation and The Jacks arent usually co-located in the same sentence

Hehehehehe... Fair point CnD.. I figured I would get that response from someone about 'innovation' and St John...!!!  :evil:

Cheers
Shane

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2009, 10:56:56 AM »
lol- by the fact that you can relate to who i'm referring to without naming the puppy - one could be mistaken for thinking that he's more transparent than we give him credit for! 

Having spoken with several people who've left the jacks in the last 12 months(HCP's) - I would hazard a guess that st Jack's professional mentoring programme sounds like a reactive measure to not lose the knuckledraggers who are left.....seeing as the smart one's have already bolted!

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 06:39:34 PM »
For my curosity.... a question for the people that are advocating that private medical firms be involved in major events within Adelaide.

Are you suggesting that paid staff from a private firm do from first-aid through to paramedical ?

Where would SAAS staff who are on site at Clipsal V8 & Glenelg NYE fit in this structure ?

Or are you suggesting (to come at a semi reasonable cost to the organisers / tax payer), St Johns volunteers provide first aid with private firm doing paramedical ? Then SAAS just provide transport to hospital and nothing on site.

I am confused at what level & thus cost you guys are suggesting a private firm be involved.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 11:21:44 PM by bajdas »
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 11:45:30 PM »
i don't know exactly how it would work - but your idea seems feasible-   I think I remember (it's a little bit Fuzzy...) seeing First Care Medical at Future Music early this year with a SAAS crew there as well. The crew mentioned there was a doctor and a stack of paras and RN's.

I have an issue with the events who run their show for a profit- but then rely on public health infrastructure to provide the health coverage - eg: BDO when SAAS provide a few para's to get the bunnies out of the custard.   How is this being socially responsible on the part of the event manager???

I do know that SAAS's new rules around ambulance attendance at events coupled with their new 'cost recovery' model won't make many of the aforementioned event managers very happy- but them's the brakes!   

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2009, 11:10:34 AM »
Isn't it necessary for SAAS to have some input into these events simply because no matter whoever is responsible for first aid SASS will be responsible for patient transport etc?

anything