Author Topic: SAGRN - Motorola  (Read 5606 times)

Offline COBB

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: SAGRN - Motorola
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:45:53 AM »
The article describes Motorola as a sub-contractor to Telstra previously. So cut-out the middle man makes less disputes & more efficent (in theory).

For me it depends if the upgrade to Digital is included in this 3 year contract.

It makes sense to employ the delevopers of the radio system to maintain and upgrade it.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 04:21:52 PM »
so pay a shiteload to implement a crap system.....and then lets employ the original designers of the shite system even more money to maintain it?

OK...got it now i think

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 10:08:43 AM »
The article describes Motorola as a sub-contractor to Telstra previously. So cut-out the middle man makes less disputes & more efficent (in theory).

For me it depends if the upgrade to Digital is included in this 3 year contract.

It makes sense to employ the delevopers of the radio system to maintain and upgrade it.

it's just maintenance and support, an upgrade to P25 is not part of this (the network already does digital just not P25 digital)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:17:45 AM »
so pay a shiteload to implement a crap system.....and then lets employ the original designers of the shite system even more money to maintain it?

OK...got it now i think

Compared to what.....if you compare to the old VHF & HF systems that SES had previously, hell I could not talk from Yankalilla to Adelaide on VHF....now I can talk to Ceduna clearly... yes SAGRN has gaps, but to me it is a huge leap froward compared to what we have....esp now that emergency services are using VHF & HF to fill the gaps and do some TRAINING of OPERATORS (rather than everyone think it is like a mobile telephone system with unrealistic expectations).
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 11:24:54 AM »
ahh yes, I too can talk to ceduna, or mt gambier or other exotic parts of our fair state....but every now and then at a fire with more than 4 appliances attending, it would be nice to be able to talk to the truck I can see through the smoke.

Sorry GRN is seriously flawed for major incidents (which was the supposed reason for having a multi-agency common radio network). For the minor ones like I'm sure represent most of your calls, and our calls, then VHF like we had was fine anyway - with a bit of training! Lots of money bleeding out of a system that is underfunded to pay for a service foist upon us....with little real return in capability.

anything