Author Topic: New CFS pumpers  (Read 41776 times)

Offline BundyBear

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: New CFS pumpers
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2009, 10:01:11 AM »
there are more and more pics of this type of truck popping up on ozfire. looks like a good starting point but only has 2ba in the ones i have seen. also all most of the hose is flaked and i don't know how that would be accepted in CFS.

Flaked hoses aint a bad thing Yakka I've worked from an applaince that had flaked 64mm hose so it was quick to run out those hoses from the appliance to a hydrant.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2009, 10:27:32 AM »
yeah personally i like the idea but i have got the feeling that CFS is largely in favor of rolled hose.

are there any smaller truck dual cabs that could fit BA seats? just throwing it out there?

ltdan

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2009, 12:16:54 PM »
yeah personally i like the idea but i have got the feeling that CFS is largely in favor of rolled hose.

are there any smaller truck dual cabs that could fit BA seats? just throwing it out there?

Now wouldn't that be nice.  :wink:

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »

Only if you mount the seats at right angle to the direction of travel ;)....4 seat cabs ;)

Offline Darcyq

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2009, 01:29:22 PM »
BA seats, one can only dream... Failing that it wouldn't take too much to rejig the locker to fit in another two sets. (refer new photos on ozfire) Sounds like it might at least have a decent pump, and possibly a two stage at that. The information I read quoted it to be a Rosenbauer N-25 series pump, wouldn't that make it the model down from the pump fitted to the Type 2 pumpers?

Offline fireygal

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
Its a pity that it only has 2 in 2 out, I would hope that if CFS went down this path they changed it to 4 in 4 out, then it would be a very good appliance.

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2009, 12:31:20 PM »
I don't understand what the fuss is about pumpers in CFS.  MFS has spent the effort and money developing a good urban pumper, why doesn't CFS just tack on to their orders (in white)?  Instead either the I&L staff or volunteers like Burnside members put in so much time and effort, free usually, reinventing the wheel. 

How much does/did the following cost:
- an MFS pumper?
- Burnside's pumper?
- now what was the real cost of Burnside's pumper if you include all the volunteer time (and brigade fund-raised money of course)?
- Stirling pumper? (including all the repairs and volunteer time)
- refurbishing the Dennis?
- a newly designed 12 pumper type appliance?  including staff time/wages writing the specs, inspections, volunteer consultation etc etc

I bet if you work out the real costs then buying white MFS pumpers would be cheaper, quicker, a lot less hassle for all concerned and result in a far better outcome for the community.

These are just hear say prices and i don't have these on paper but would be very close.

- MFS pump $400K (we could probably reduce this a touch with on 2 ba seats, just a
  foam pro etc)
- Burnside pumper $500K + (not sure why, maybe coz of one off)
- Stirling $500K and still climbing (new pump being fitted)
- Dennis $would have to be 400K + by now (started at about $250k i think)
- New proto type one $pricless... hehe

Just a pity we did not get a decent dennis, our problems would have been solved long ago and we would now have spare parts and mechanics that have worked on them and would be bringing in mid 90's models by now.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2009, 12:38:27 PM »
Tas Fire Service / TFS Engineering / "3.1.P"  : $150,000-ish    Very good consistant quality

SA CFS / SEM.MilsTui.Varley  / 34 Pumper      : $275,000-ish    Good, filtered, Good, filtered, Slowly getting better

Very similar appliance....over $100,000 price difference,  go figure.   

Which one looks the most practical and...like a fire truck...the award goes to TAS FIRE SERVICE!!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 12:40:37 PM by Zippy »

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2009, 11:35:18 PM »
Tas Fire Service / TFS Engineering / "3.1.P"  : $150,000-ish    Very good consistant quality

SA CFS / SEM.MilsTui.Varley  / 34 Pumper      : $275,000-ish    Good, filtered, Good, filtered, Slowly getting better

Which one looks the most practical and...like a fire truck...the award goes to TAS FIRE SERVICE!!

zippy....have u seen one up live, or worked off one?.....don't be too quick with the adulation....good, but not great

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2009, 04:12:04 AM »

Apparentley these builds were specified lap seat belts only, not lap sash seat belts............something to do with the sash, aggravating scar tissue!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 23, 2009, 07:41:47 AM »

zippy....have u seen one up live, or worked off one?.....don't be too quick with the adulation....good, but not great

Im going by "ease of use" by the firefighter ;) the fricken pump is more straight forward than ever.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 23, 2009, 08:50:17 AM »
the old dakka dakka pump on the plastic 24s was pretty easy to operate too.....but that a good pumper doth not make

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 23, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »
the old dakka dakka pump on the plastic 24s was pretty easy to operate too.....but that a good pumper doth not make

CnD, a devotee of the old Bard.......I thinketh! :-)
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2009, 12:00:56 PM »

CnD, a devotee of the old Bard.......I thinketh! :-)

meh....whats a bit of mum love between friends  :-D

pumprescue

« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2009, 08:35:14 AM »

So whats any different to what we have now, good but not great....

firefighter21

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2010, 10:31:20 PM »
 :-D 14 pumpers i agree wid making them a 12 instead just like the METS appliances i say go ahead and build them and stow them with a full rcr and urban stowage
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 09:33:12 PM by firefighter21 »

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2010, 08:19:16 AM »
:-D 14 pumpers i agree wid making them a 12 instead just like the METS appliances i say go ahead and build them and stow them with a full rcr and urban stowage i say my brigade at Stirling north could do with one of those we could do with a extra fire fightng apparatus to go with our 24P and 34P

The only drama with these 14 pumpers is the actual size of the truck once you load the mup with BA, RCR gear etc they are bogged down with weight.

The idea of these small pumpers only works in some hills brigades where the smaller size helps them get into tight driveways access points etc.

Offline JJD

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2010, 04:30:26 PM »
Rumour has it (from a pretty reliable source) That there are a couple of "village pumpers", built by the Tasmanian Fire Service, ordered by the CFS as prototypes for trialling (similar process to the two QRVs from CFA which were used in the tour down under). They were due last november but are yet to be seen. They would be based on a canter type (could be a hino) chassis, dual cab and probably 4wd to allow for some rural use. They would have a 1000lt capacity and a large (undisclosed capacity) pump.
I believe the idea is that brigades in rural areas but with significant town-based assets (large schools, hospitals, etc.) would be the target recipients, as the pumper would aid in structure type incidents while it would have similar (note i said similar and not identical) capabilities to the CFS 14s of similar size in a rural incident.
As i said this information came from a VERY reliable source (no name as per forum rules, so dont bother asking) but i havent heard any new developments for several weeks.
Cheers

BTW i like the look of that CFA light pumper 'cept for the shortage of BA sets...

edit: typo
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:29:10 PM by JJD »
Hmmm, a large unused document that is extremely important, but knowone knows what is in it or what it does.

Must be related to some sort of government department... - Footy

Judge me on the service....not my payslip - misterteddy

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »
Rumour has it, the CFS don't actually know the first thing about Appliance build ups, or how to actually put a 'Fire Truck' together...
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2010, 10:45:23 AM »
Rumour has it, the CFS don't actually know the first thing about Appliance build ups, or how to actually put a 'Fire Truck' together...

Are you sure that wasn't from a reliable source, and not just a rumour?

I like the idea of these "Village pumpers".  Sounds like a good replacement for the ageing 12s in the fleet, and especially good for those areas with urban assets and narrow streets.

Darren

« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »
Well if the guys in Tassie are anything to go buy the pumps aren't anything worth talking about, certainly won't do anything like boosting.

They are just the normal pumps 14's come with, can run 2x38's and have 1 inlet, not anything like the current very old 12's.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »
They are just the normal pumps 14's come with, can run 2x38's and have 1 inlet, not anything like the current very old 12's.

If it's just the normal pump 14s come with, how does that make it any different to a 14?  JJD?

Darren

« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2010, 11:56:44 AM »
They have a different body on them, room for BA and an urban kit.

The CFA version would be more in keeping with the old 12 concept.

It only has 2 airsets though so you would need to turn out both your primary appliances to get 4 airsets, or ensure dual response.

I asked a question of a Tassie vol who's brigade went from an ACCO pumper to a Canter 14P...I asked if they liked the change from the ACCO to the Canter, this is the answer....

"Answer one, no we dont, one inlet 2 outlets and 2 BA. The pump can only just cope with 2 x 38mmTFT's. "

So yeah, says it all really.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »
Hmmm a rumour that CFS is going to get some more Type 2's built soon....watch this space I suppose :|
Images are copyright

Darren

« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2010, 05:44:51 PM »
With word of massive budget cuts I think that might stay a rumour for a while.

anything