Technical Discussion > ALL Rescue

RAPID INTERVENTION...IS IT WORTH IT?

(1/6) > >>

Edster:
Hello all...I am relatively new to the forum people have guessed i am from Norton Summit CFS brigade. I am not here to start any (politcal) issues but wish to ask a few questions rearding getting light rescue into a briagde.
Is it worth having RIV in a briagde i.e. Seaford, Bridgewater etc
How d briagdes like Burnside and stirling manage to have both heavy and light rescue?

How did they get it? was it brigade purchase or funded by the state?

(people may look down upon me for thinking this) but in the other post on "Burnside responding into East torrens it was said that Burnside do cover a fair amount of East Torrens turf but Athelstone and Burnside both are about 15 minutes away from certain parts of Norton Summit and our responding areas i.e. Teringie, Woodforde, Skye (look on SACFS promo site for more info), I had an idea of having light rescue in my briagde. Posotive views much appriciated  :mrgreen:

BundyBear:
Edster,

I looked on the promotions website and my brigade is also listed as having heavy/light RCR gear and we have just the stock set of gear.

I'm not sure of the corporate view on rapid intervention equipment. I think Bridgewater went and bought their own but I don't know how you would go getting crews on courses from there, if you have to pay for your own or CFS will train your crews?

I suggest if you see a gap in the area your brigade responses to and you have a lot of RCR incidents in your area. Put together a case study present it to group then region and see how you go.

Also combi-tools are also good for gaining access into structures with heavy security. A couple of jobs we have used our rescue gear to gain access, plus the MFS station near me has it on there appliance and get to work to gain access for Paramedics before the arrival of our appliance or one of their rescue applaince and the idea seems to work.

mattb:
Seaford received their gear because of the Southern Expressway, the final stage is in CFS area and the response plan is that MFS go to the Beach road exit and CFS go to Old Noarlunga exit. That way whichever direction the traffic is travelling you will still get an appliance to the job. With the Seaford MFS appliance going to be a Rescue vehicle this will negate the need for Seaford to carry the R.I.V gear anymore.

I'm not entirely sold on the idea of brigades carrying it, some of those in Region One that have it are right next door to a rescue brigade who now go to every single MVA anyway. In some of those cases by the time you get your R.I.V. gear setup the Rescue truck will be on scene.

For all the training and cost involved is it worth it?? Considering how much trouble some of the RCR brigades have in getting their own members on courses would it be better to leave those spots available for the RCR brigade guys ?

Do those brigades with the R.I.V. gear do many cut outs ?

bittenyakka:
I believe Bridgewater are very happy with theirs. 

Firefrog:
Im my expereince RIV is vital where second rescue is some distance or time away. I know of a group where RIV has saved the day on many occasions. In one situation the Heavy Rescue pump failed and the brigade with RIV gear did the rescue. Although RIV is not in the resource directory it can be utilised under group and local response plans. The other major benefit is when the rescue brigade is low on rescue trained people the RIV brigade can respond to assist.

Works well in the situation I am aware of. As far as I know it was the first or second RIV brigade approved in the state.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version