Author Topic: Fire Bunkers/Shelters  (Read 3532 times)

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Fire Bunkers/Shelters
« on: December 29, 2009, 07:36:40 PM »
Was wondering what are everyones thoughts on fire bunkers?

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Bunkers/Shelters
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:59 AM »
As long as they meet the standard is a good thing, but many out there trying to make a quick buck at peoples expense :-o
Images are copyright

Offline straps

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
There is no standard thought, thats the problem...
They are not endorsed within SA and I have been led to belive that companies / businesses are going around stating that they build them to the "Standard"... Bit hard to do when no such standard exists.

7 people died in bunkers in Vic...

A bunker is generally regarded as an outbuilding and may not require approval, unless it is to be buried more than 1 metre then a Development Approval must be sought from Council.

Personally, I think if you choose to defend your well prepared home in accordance with all the usual caveats (physically / mentally fit for task, etc etc) then a bunker could be your very own 'Refuge of Last Resort' if everything else goes to crap.

But they should be the absolute LAST option and only in the example I cited above, not used as a primary or secondary strategy on your Bushfire Plan...

Just my thoughts,
Cheers
Shane

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 05:36:39 PM »
Lets face it the Salvo's have been using them for years and they havent lost a can a  SPAM yet! :-D
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Numpty

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
I would have thought that the government could have got all the leading designs together considering it's a national issue. Then have one of the government agencies test and evaluate each one and come up with the benchmark design. They then could have a list of companies that are approved to supply and install this particular bunker/shelter across the country. I guess the government does not want to go there as they would be held liable if it all went pear shaped.

cheers