Author Topic: 3rd Alarm Factory Fire Mt Barker  (Read 33717 times)

Offline jason

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
3rd Alarm Factory Fire Mt Barker
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:47:33 PM »
MFS: *CFSRES INC047 27/11/09 12:39,RESPOND COMMERCIAL FIRE,42 LIGHT CR,MT BARKER MAP 173 C 11 TG128,CNR WITH SEEKER AVE. WELL ALIGHT REPORTE,D,NAIR00 LTHT00

MFS: *CFSRES INC047 27/11/09 12:53,RESPOND COMMERCIAL FIRE,42 LIGHT CR,MT BARKER MAP 173 C 11 TG128,LARGE PAINT SHED ALIGHT CNR SECKER RD. A,SSIST OTHER BRIGADES. BA CREWS REQUIRED,ECHG00 BRDG00 OAKB00

Looks Like Barker have had a busy day - 6 calls so far including the factory fire....
Not good that so many Support brigades had crewing issues/ lack of BA ops...

Darren

Re: 3rd Alarm Factory Fire Mt Barker
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »
Yeah looks like they didn't have much in the way of BA backup, but most of the CFS is in a bad way when it comes to BA, something that needs to be looked at rather urgently.

You would almost have to wonder, with all the stuffing around getting crews together, would it really take someone like Glen Osmond that long to get there.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »
sigh
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 09:54:14 AM by Zippy »

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 10:39:42 PM »
What did Heysen Group do to get spanked so badly today with calls right across their Group area?    :evil:

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline big bronto

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:22:12 AM »
Yesterday was another situation that highlighted SA needing some sort of paid fire service in large country centres to get a sufficient response for fires.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 08:37:50 AM »
From what i heard, Mt Barker themselves did a fine job of crewing,  it was the support responders from 2nd and 3rd alarm brigade's that had crewing issues...The brigades NOT in the large country centres.

Mt Barker, Good job on Crewing.

If it was paid service, the only thing you will improve, is having a single appliance ready on standby all the time...or in Mt Gambier's example, day time only.

So, to the support brigades, keep getting members trained in BA...and more of them,  reach your SFEC maximum.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 08:41:26 AM by Zippy »

Darren

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 08:46:08 AM »
Thats the hassle, we aren't allowed to reach our maximum, and if your minimum is there and not many of them are around in the day, then this will continue to happen.

Offline jason

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:42:36 AM »
Yeah looks like they didn't have much in the way of BA backup, but most of the CFS is in a bad way when it comes to BA, something that needs to be looked at rather urgently.

You would almost have to wonder, with all the stuffing around getting crews together, would it really take someone like Glen Osmond that long to get there.

I heard both barker trucks arrive within 5min... Glen Osmond would have been the third arriving appliance if they were called straight up.. bit scary… Talking to barker guys they had to "Dig in" for a while before they got some help. Guess that’s what happens when they have to prop up so many other brigades during the day. It’s a big area to cover…. . I don’t know how they manage to do it all the time. CFS need to look at something… take some pressure of the Brigade…

Darren

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »
Yes its not a good situation, a large town like that relying on fairly limited numbers and limited resources (lets face it a 34P and a Type 2 is hardly adequate) and limited back up, like you said, if 441 was turned out straight after arrival they would have arrived 3rd !

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 12:22:47 PM »

Talking to barker guys they had to "Dig in" for a while before they got some help.
LMAO - What was it John Wayne Time?

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
From what i heard, Mt Barker themselves did a fine job of crewing,  it was the support responders from 2nd and 3rd alarm brigade's that had crewing issues...The brigades NOT in the large country centres.

If it was paid service, the only thing you will improve, is having a single appliance ready on standby all the time...or in Mt Gambier's example, day time only.

So, to the support brigades, keep getting members trained in BA...and more of them,  reach your SFEC maximum.

Zippy.....thats the most sensible post i have seen on this site in ages......great perspective.....paid mfs in Barker = 4 firefighters and one truck....a reduction in service.....

now be a good boy and enough of the sensible posts....you'll get a bad name  :lol:

Offline wayjax

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 08:29:01 PM »
the barker boys again did a great job, its the support that is lacking again, they even managed to have there 24 be first arrival at the Barker Junction fire and supporting appliances for this fire had to be released from the commercial fire as other brigades paged could not crew.

but the lads at barker cannot be expected to keep this up in the long term

Darren

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2009, 09:08:13 PM »
Come on CFS, stand up and give the guys at Barker a hand.....all you seem to do is give them a hard time!

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 07:50:54 AM »
Why did some firefighters not have PBI on when using BA?
Was it because it takes forever for PBI to be returned when getting cleaned?
How hard would it be to have a few spare set at the station, oh that right we don't have enough BA operators anyway

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:48:18 AM »
Interesting that despite reports on the initial page that the building was "well alight" more brigades were not turned out straight away, being a paint factory and the potential for a major hazmat job to evolve had things gone pear shaped. :-o
Images are copyright

pumprescue

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »
More brigades were not turned out ? 2nd alarm on arrival, not that it did much good for all that rocked up !

The deputy Chief attended, wonder how much notice he will take of proceedings.

Hats off to Mt Barker for the work they did.

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »
Tough question to answer about the building was "well alight" from a phone call.
I have been to calls before that this has been stated "well alight"
and it has been nothing.
I have also been to calls on the way to the job 2nd Alarm have been called due to the large amounts of smoke showing.
Also  firefighters have rang 000 and say that the job should be a 2nd Alarm and the response has been wait till the fire service arrives, they will make the decision. I guess they get a few MFA's

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2009, 09:20:30 AM »
Congrats to the barker boys for doing the hard yards, even though they were called after the initial page.
Images are copyright

Offline icur12

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2009, 09:57:52 AM »
Barker boys do very well.

Jason/Darren - What are you alluding to with 'CFS need to look at something… take some pressure of the Brigade…' and 'all you seem to do is give them a hard time'.
What is happening?  What is the solution?

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2009, 11:10:28 AM »

Zippy.....thats the most sensible post i have seen on this site in ages......great perspective.....paid mfs in Barker = 4 firefighters and one truck....a reduction in service.....

now be a good boy and enough of the sensible posts....you'll get a bad name  :lol:

Thanks,  i hear crap being given about brigades like barker the like....even within my own brigade,  it gets me fuming because they have no understanding....

It all comes back to this, Yes we are volunteers, but we should relise entirely "We are THE Fire Service".   The public rely on us.   We are the public, that decide to be replied upon.

Best solution, you have a brigade of trained and enthusiastic volunteer firefighters, whats the cheapest way of improving it...   Better appliances & Retaining those existing firefighters (Not starting up a new retained brigade from scratch).  ...then employ more retained firefighters.

Mt Barker can easily gain a 4th appliance and crew it then....that cover's 2 alarms.

Dad's army, no more.

And CrashNDash....Too right about the "bad name" if you say sensible things...I'm over caring about that..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 11:53:55 AM by Zippy »

uniden

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2009, 07:51:39 PM »

I heard both barker trucks arrive within 5min... Glen Osmond would have been the third arriving appliance if they were called straight up.. bit scary… Talking to barker guys they had to "Dig in" for a while before they got some help. Guess that’s what happens when they have to prop up so many other brigades during the day. It’s a big area to cover…. . I don’t know how they manage to do it all the time. CFS need to look at something… take some pressure of the Brigade…
[/quote]

MFS Stations do use CFS to back them up when they are much closer than other MFS stations..

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2009, 07:57:25 PM »
And CrashNDash....Too right about the "bad name" if you say sensible things...I'm over caring about that..

ahhh...keep the faith Zipster....all will be good in the end

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 08:17:12 PM »

ahhh...keep the faith Zipster....all will be good in the end

I'm putting a decade deadline on that...

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 06:27:25 AM »
The CFS has a duty of care
So not having back up is a problem. The best short term answers is
The Group Officer ask Barker can you crew another appliance. If
the answer is yes, take another appliance from a brigade within
the group that can't crew it.
So it gets a brigade upset they are down an appliance, that they can't crew anyway. It might change a few brigades to get it together

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2009, 06:38:49 AM »
Can you spell.....A M A L...G A M A...T I O N? :evil:
Just Another Filtered Fireman