Author Topic: Fewer volunteers join CFS ranks  (Read 9612 times)

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
Fewer volunteers join CFS ranks
« on: December 07, 2009, 07:30:48 AM »
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,26449023-5006301,00.html

VOLUNTEER firefighter numbers across the state have fallen over the past year despite expectation of a surge in the wake of this year's Victorian Bushfires.

The SA Fire and Emergency Services Commission report, tabled in Parliament, reveals the total number of CFS volunteers dropped by 296 to 15,415 in the financial year ending June.

The number of SES members fell by 205 to 1623. Emergency Services Minister Michael Wright, above, said the state was "fortunate" to have as many volunteers as it did.

"Volunteering, by its very nature, is cyclical, with membership highs and lows largely dependent on operational activity and public profile of the organisation," he said.

"Other factors contributing to fluctuations include people who volunteer for one off events such as a major natural disaster.

Despite an overall fall in numbers over the year, Mr Wright said there was noticable increase in SA volunteers following the Victorian fires.

"Individuals may also opt to volunteer for shorter periods of time and are more likely to volunteer for several different organisations in their lifetime.

"All of our volunteers do a fantastic job in helping to protect our community. Their efforts, often in extreme and life-threatening situations, should never be taken for granted.

Images are copyright

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fewer volunteers join CFS ranks
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:11:13 AM »
I can see why the number of CFA volunteers have dropped as result of the Black Saturday fires due to half of them being traumatised from fighting those fires back in February but it is a real concern to see CFS numbers dwindle by 296 to 15,415  :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 08:44:17 AM »
Consider how many of the 15,415 volunteers can actually respond to day time jobs

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 02:23:17 PM »
before you get to that, I wonder how many are firefighters. 15,415 includes auxiliary, ops support, IMT etc, the whole lot.  I reckon we'd be lucky if 10,000 were actual firefighters, then after that look at how many are active members.  Then after that you can look at daytime/weekday availability.

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 03:52:41 PM »
I wonder if the number of volunteers reflect the population growth in the state?

This begs the question why are volunteers leaving or becoming less active and what could we do to support the volunteers further so that we can retain a few more than we loose or recruit. What ever needs to happen can not be small brush strokes to the organisation but wide brush strokes that can be applied from the smallest and quietest brigade to the largest and most busiest brigade
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline Jules4

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 04:52:13 PM »
Probably got a lot to do with the 'adjustment' of member lists prior to awarding of new medals.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 03:54:01 PM »
Having just gone through a volunteer recruitment process and spoken to potential volunteers that were rejected after completing a course, some are annoyed by the process to the extent they will not try again.

Yes, I am one of them so this posting is biased. Some people would have been rejected based on their abilities because we are an emergency service.

It seems metropolitan or near metro brigades / units cannot take on majority of people that apply.

It is stated by volunteer managers that the LHQ's do not have the space/facilities (eg toilets) or the budget to take on more volunteers. So the brigades/units are at capacity in volunteer numbers. I have heard of at least 10 volunteers who have been advised they cannot join in the southern metro area during the past three months.

I would suggest you have a shortage in the country regions but a surplus of potential volunteers in the metro area.

I am still a SES volunteer, but now 2nd response to a Ops Unit.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Darren

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »
We have the exact issue that you describe Bajdas, in fact are probably one o f the southern brigaes you describe, we have a constant stream of people wanting to join, but we can only take so many, and simply don't have room, we will be very selective, and some will be dissapointed, or angry, as they don't get it, CFS is seen to be losing members yet we are knocking people backk.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2009, 09:59:23 PM »
We have the exact issue that you describe Bajdas, in fact are probably one o f the southern brigaes you describe, we have a constant stream of people wanting to join, but we can only take so many, and simply don't have room, we will be very selective, and some will be dissapointed, or angry, as they don't get it, CFS is seen to be losing members yet we are knocking people backk.

Darren this maybe true of the more peri-urban brigades, but sadly it certainly isnt for the vast majority of the state!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Benji

• View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 07:38:47 PM »
If you cant take them on board due to reaching membership limits, do you promote other services to them? This is a legit question and not an attempt to start a bum fight by any means. But surely getting a member of the public that is wanting to assist their community but cant because of limits could go to another organisation to fulfil this and gain skills until such time as they could join CFS.
Ben(B2)
Crossdressing SES & CFS member

Darren

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »
Yeah, usually suggest the SES or similar.

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »
So I take that their is no problems in a certain part of the state along if it is in 100 k's of the GPO!  :evil: 

Don't want to sound too sarcastic or negative but what about the rest of the state. I am always on the look out for new members for the Brigade so that the workload of is spread across many not just a few. It just not only the lookout for new members our equip coord has done a great job looking into better equipment to make life easier for members i.e. lighter tools easier carrying techniques. I was speaking to a an SES DUM the other day who said that he needed to have a break and that he will be taking it come hail or high water as he is burnt out. I know the feeling as my boss give me funny looks every time I get caught doing ESO stuff at work.

Darren

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 10:13:06 PM »
I am not saying things are perfect, we still run light during the day, but who doesn't, we have the issue of hundreds wanting to join, but limited numbers during the day. We rely solely on shift workers for day crew.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 08:50:11 AM »
start a bum fight

oh the mental images ;)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 07:04:55 PM »
I wonder if the number of volunteers reflect the population growth in the state?
.....What ever needs to happen can not be small brush strokes to the organisation but wide brush strokes that can be applied from the smallest and quietest brigade to the largest and most busiest brigade

Given my recent experience and other comments made. I would suggest that the recruitment needs to be aimed at the country regions specifically and not a broad brush stroke approach.

This has been discussed (eg TAFE Colleges, Secondary schools, mums at home, etc) but unless a volunteer manager does it, it does not happen.

Sadly many voters exist in the metro region so the more publicity for the government the better in the metro regions.

By the way, what happened to the extra metro volunteers being trained within CFS for strike force deployments idea of 12 to 18 months ago ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2009, 08:33:00 PM »
By the way, what happened to the extra metro volunteers being trained within CFS for strike force deployments idea of 12 to 18 months ago ?

Well if I am into tin foil hats and bubble wrap jump suits then I would say that was a CFS cover up for something else they mucked up on  :evil:

Yes you are right bajdas if the volunteer manager went out and hit the pavement then maybe some of the regional brigade / unit would be a bit healthier. Maybe if some of these manager also started using some volunteering best practice  then we could retain some of those we recruited.

I find it quite amusing that we have volunteers doing their best for volunteers and we have a highly structured organization that has no idea about how to manage volunteers. Maybe we are critter of our own self doing  :roll:

Offline Blue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 10:01:39 AM »
The landholders I talk to in regional areas (south east) don't want to join the CFS as that means their own property and often total financial livelihood could be left to perish duirng a bushfire. We are told repeatedly that the CFS wont save you (we don't have enough appliances to protect every house, etc etc) so people are moving more toward the 'save yourself' line of thinking : prepare your own home, act to save your own home, and survive.

Gone are the post-war days where small groups of farmers shared resources to protect their immediate area. On an appliance we can be called well out of our own neighbourhood to respond to all manner of emergencies, and this leaves our own homes, and potentially our families there, very vulnerable.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 10:08:46 AM »
Plenty of fire appliances for sale for the farmers now too. :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 11:11:38 AM »
The landholders I talk to in regional areas (south east) don't want to join the CFS as that means their own property and often total financial livelihood could be left to perish duirng a bushfire. We are told repeatedly that the CFS wont save you (we don't have enough appliances to protect every house, etc etc) so people are moving more toward the 'save yourself' line of thinking : prepare your own home, act to save your own home, and survive.

Gone are the post-war days where small groups of farmers shared resources to protect their immediate area. On an appliance we can be called well out of our own neighbourhood to respond to all manner of emergencies, and this leaves our own homes, and potentially our families there, very vulnerable.

That's all fine and well,  but it opens a whole different can of worms....