Author Topic: So, for all you Fireground photographers...  (Read 2464 times)

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
So, for all you Fireground photographers...
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:35:05 AM »
Very interesting. Photo is in link:

http://www.firerescue1.com/fire-attack/articles/680015-Canada-firefighters-cell-photo-causes-flap/

WINNIPEG, Canada — The Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service is investigating the circumstances surrounding a pair of firefighters' decision to pose and take a cell phone photo in front of a Redwood Avenue blaze.

On Thursday evening, Free Press photographer Boris Minkevich took a photo of a defensive fire with two Winnipeg firefighters in the foreground. One posed for a cellphone picture shot by the other while they waited for aerial equipment to be set up.

On Friday, WFPS Deputy Chief Ken Sim said his department planned to investigate in the evening, when the firefighters in question returned to work.

"Our perspective at this time is this was inappropriate," he said. "This is one of those pictures that begs the question, 'What were they assigned to do that allowed them to take the picture?' "

While firefighters are provided with cameras to document evidence, Sim said it appears the camera depicted in Minkevich's photo was a "non-issued device." Sim said his department will take "whatever action is necessary to take" once the firefighters in the photo are identified.

The president of the union representing Winnipeg firefighters shrugged off the investigation, noting the personnel in the photo could not do anything but wait until more equipment arrived to douse the blaze.

"Is it inappropriate? Probably. But we deal with life and death every single day," said Alex Forrest, president of the United Fire Fighters of Winnipeg. "I didn't get one call about (a recent) fatality and the firefighters who risked their lives trying to save someone, but I got a dozen calls about this one."

Free Press photographer Minkevich, meanwhile, said he did not intend his photo to cause any harm.

"It seemed so innocent. There were numerous firefighters waiting for the apparatus to be set up," said Minkevich, a recent winner of an award from the International Association of Firefighters.

"This only lasted a moment. I perceived it as an innocent thing I would do myself. I've been to a lot of fires."

Media interest in Minkevich's photograph came from as far away as the San Francisco Chronicle which wanted a copy of the picture for its website.

So, perhaps the were innocently taking a photo, but at the end of the day its all about public perception!
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: So, for all you Fireground photographers...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 01:30:37 AM »

So, perhaps the were innocently taking a photo, but at the end of the day its all about public perception!

Hear hear. I was at a VA a year or so back, where a looie pulled out a camera and started taking photos of a near new BMW that had been written off. Driver, SAAS, SAPol all on site. Driver wasn't so happy and actually asked if the looie would like him to take a photo of the looie posing in front of the car... funny stuff.

There are times when taking a photo or two make be ok, or even necessary. But more often than not its innapropriate IMO.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: So, for all you Fireground photographers...
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »
I think almost everyone on here would agree with me that theres a fine line between appropriate and inappropriate when it comes to taking photos on the fire ground as long as theres no complaints about photos being taken at incidents
Kalangadoo Brigade

anything