Author Topic: Experience markings  (Read 19665 times)

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Experience markings
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2005, 10:58:52 PM »
Burnside tried it with the important Training type of markings, ie. highest level of training so you had a 1, 2 or 3, RCR, BA or HZ (obviously if you have hazmat you already have BA) and first aid green square.... the official respose by CFS HQ. "We don't need to look like boy scouts, take them off!" Ok, so they worked well, looked good, easy to use and was officially granted by the ROPO a while before hand but yeah.... CFS Opinion was straight to the point!

When did this trial take place and for how long? Have you removed these markings as yet?
I ask because in relatively recent (don't know exactly how recent, going on memory) photos I have noticed them.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 10:26:52 AM »
They could have been on to something there.

We all seem to want to look professional, like our sister service,but we don't see them running around with boy scout badges on.

Self examination time - is there not a slight desire among some to say, look at me, I have skills you don't. Could this be a reason that some would really like this system rather than operational reasons. Not that there's anything at all wrong with being proud of the training you have undertaken.
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 05:17:59 PM »
We all seem to want to look professional, like our sister service,but we don't see them running around with boy scout badges on.

The MFS don't need them, as they are all trained in everything... ;)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »
Kalangadoo used to have the qualification patches such as RCR, BA and First Aid sown on the overalls but after Millicent and Penola groups merged to be now know as Wattle Range Divsion and for safety reasons the issuing of patches that signify what your qualifications are were discontinued

It's a real shame as that very year when the patch issuing was stopped i attained my Senior First Aid certificate while doing Youth Conservation Corps training

I think that they should bring back the experience markings as I've been a senior first aid officer for 3 years having just gained me re- accreditation while doing Green Corps earlier this year

Plus it would prevent confusion if a brigade say for example Kalangadoo was paged to an RCR and first aid officers were appointed to treat the patients prior to SAAS arrival, having experience markings which say that the first aid officer or officers have first aid training the patches would give paramedics a clear idea when they arrive that the first aiders have training in first aid
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2005, 09:01:56 PM »
The MFS don't need them, as they are all trained in everything.

Not to sure about that maybe in Adelaide but I know of one station where that may not be right. Only one is for Hazmat but they all still do it if needed.
But I don't see the need for the markings on the uniform maybe a colour stripe on the helmet.

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2005, 09:05:43 AM »
I hate the boy scout patches, with about 5 million courses these days you would look like a patch quilt

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2005, 02:07:31 PM »
I hate the boy scout patches, with about 5 million courses these days you would look like a patch quilt
As has been said before, you don't have a patch for everything... that would be stupid... you just have markings for the important stuff, and the highest qualification, ie, level 3, Hazmat, RCR... If you have those three, you have to have done levels 1 & 2, BA, Snr First aid etc...

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2005, 11:42:48 AM »

you just have markings for the important stuff, and the highest qualification, ie, level 3, Hazmat, RCR... If you have those three, you have to have done levels 1 & 2, BA, Snr First aid etc...
So you would have
Level 3
BA
RCR
Hazmat
Snr First Aid
Advanced Resuscitation
Chainsaw
Sector Commander
Plus other scout badges

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2005, 12:02:33 PM »
Not sure about all other patches..
i think maybe it would be good to have
RCR/HAZ/BA on your helmet, but probly not all the other crap...

im all for station names on helmets though...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2005, 01:14:44 AM »
So you would have
Level 3
BA
RCR
Hazmat
Snr First Aid
Advanced Resuscitation
Chainsaw
Sector Commander
Plus other scout badges

No, because if you have HAZMAT, you HAVE to be qualified in BA, if you have RCR, you have to be Snr First Aid qualified...
Minor courses like Chainsaw, or defensive driving etc, wouldn't need patches.. they only become boy scout badges if you make them so... Does that mean we should try to recruit members because that makes us like Jehovah's witnesses?  Why refuse to do something that is functional and potentially life saving because it reminds you of the scouts?

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2005, 11:43:46 AM »
life saving ?? because you have a patch lol
Any officer/SF will/should be  able to give crew members jobs without looking at patches.
And where would you have the patches, you can't put them on the new PBI or the nomex turnout coats.

Toast

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2005, 05:54:33 PM »
I believe that the original suggestion was to have some form of identification, not a sew on patch, as ,obviously, it cannot be sewn onto any of our PPE.

Of course any one in your own birgade should know what you and the rest of your crew can do, the problem arises when you are dealing with other brigades. Its difficult to know what the other 150+ members of your Group are trained in.

In a service like the CFS where training is both optional and non-standardized (In terms of who has done what courses.) I think it would be very beneficial to have some indication of what people have done. No, not to a stupid extent, but merely the basics. First aid, RCR, BA, HAZMAT and perhaps level 1/2/3.

This would mean that you would have a max of three small stickers on a helmet or such. If you have RCR, then you done need a first aid sticker, if you have BA you dont need a lvl 2 sticker, and if you have HAZMAT you dont need a lvl 3 OR a BA sticker.

Courses such as chainsaw are usless because most incidents requiring chainsaws are handled at a single brigade level.

strikeathird

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2005, 01:34:50 PM »
BA can now be done with a minimum od BFF1 I believe....

I still stand by the fact that the stickers option would just look poxy.  If their is any doubt, just ask the person what they are competent in, instead of WASTING more funds which could be used for a BETTER cause, and looking like tools.

Offline CFS_fire32

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2005, 03:51:38 PM »
If their is any doubt, just ask the person what they are competent in...
Exactly.
And although it is only a small thing, simply going up to someone unknown to you and asking them what qualifications they have, rather than looking at their helmet promotes inter-brigade/group communication and interaction. This leads to better inter-group relationships etc.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2005, 01:04:46 AM »
I generally don't have time to stand around having an interbrigade chat at an incident.. there's usually a job to be done, and it needs to be done in the most efficient, fast and professional way... I don't want to spend my time at an incident going on a treasure hunt to find out who is trained in what...

Can anyone suggest another way to mark what training people have had?  It seems there is a big anti-helmet-sticker movement... ;)

Toast

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2005, 11:26:04 AM »
Having a bit of chit chat and a picnic on the side of the road when you get to an incident appears to be the prefered method...

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2005, 11:29:02 PM »
When you are at an incident, and you want to find a paramedic, do you look for someone in green overalls, or do you start asking everyone if they've done the Paramedics degree?

strikeathird

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2005, 12:20:11 AM »
Depends if they are a paramedic...  They could be MTS, ATS, Ambulance Officer, Paramedic, IC Paramedic....

At the end of the day, the only 'sure fire' (pardon the pun) method is to ask somebody...   What if a member is wearing anothers gear, and they have all these "markings" when they aren't qualified in any of them !! ??

At the end of the day, communication is the best way...

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2005, 11:17:01 AM »
I still don't understand why you need to know what 150+ people have trained in. And be clear there - all the badge, sticker, whatever can show you is that they've been to a training course (that's assuming it's even their helmet) not that they are capable or experienced operators.

ICS principles with their 1:5 ratio should mean that you are only dealing with 5 lots of resources not 150 people. The OIC will know that their SC's or STL's or whatever are qualified to do that. The STL's will know that their crew leaders are qualified to do that. And the crew leaders (or appliance officer, or Brigade OIC whatever) will know what their crews can do.

If you need to run around 150 people looking for BA operators then there is something seriously wrong with the incident management :-)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2005, 02:33:40 PM »
So what your saying, is if I need to know where spare BA cylinders are on another brigades truck, I should go to the IC, who will ask the OIC of that appliance, who will then designate a crew member to show me where the BA cylinders are?

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2005, 02:45:54 PM »
or you could just look?

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2005, 02:48:39 PM »
or you could just look?

Are you suggesting I do something logical? But this is the CFS! ;)

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2005, 05:05:22 PM »
So what your saying, is if I need to know where spare BA cylinders are on another brigades truck, I should go to the IC, who will ask the OIC of that appliance, who will then designate a crew member to show me where the BA cylinders are?

No... re read my post several times and that's not even close to what I was saying  8-)

strikeathird

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2005, 12:16:31 AM »
Cfs_fire  ...  Its not like trying to find a needle in a haystack...  BA cylinders on appliances are usually fairly easy to find...

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2005, 07:44:56 AM »
I took it as tongue in cheek comment...... :D

anything