Author Topic: Murray bridge SES  (Read 27221 times)

Offline jason

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Murray bridge SES
« on: January 14, 2010, 02:34:20 PM »
Does anyone know why Murray Bridge SES is folding? Been told they will be fully closed by mid this year? They have already handed over RCR to MFS...

Darren

Re: Murray bridge SES
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:57:43 PM »
What the, is this fair dinkum, bit of a risky area to not have SES for their boat capability ?

Offline Baxter

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • ho ho ho its fire fighting time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »
If it is is true I would suspect that it has become a victim of lack of volunteers. The unit is quite strategically placed in the mallee and service a large area besides the Brigade
keep it simple for sanity skes please

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Just had a bit of a look and found no official indication that this unit has disappear in fact it looks like it still open for business.

I hope this utterance is not based on a page message that responded MFS to a MVA if so it may be a case of MFS being responded to something that is inside the town. This is no different to what occurs in Whyalla where the MFS respond to in town incidents and a joint SES / MFS responce is given for outside town incidents.

Darren

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 07:39:36 AM »
I also enquired with a local and he was of the opinion they are VERY low on numbers, hence the regular off lines.

It happens, hope they can get though it.

By the way Mallee Fire,there is no dual response for RCR in whyalla, the only reason they ever go is for lighting or if the MFS are already busy, but Pt Augusta go for COQ if they are busy so thats rare. Often when they are responded off the bat is a mistake.

If SES in Murray Bridge is offline Murray Bridge MFS is default rescue for all of the SES area.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
Arent CFS and SES....in the same building???

Offline Baxter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
Arent CFS and SES....in the same building???

I think they are next door

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 10:46:29 AM »
Yes, next door.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 12:03:24 PM »
Yes, next door.

Well thats dumb to shut up shop then....the SES should just approach the CFS brigade management and ask, for a merger.   There are integrated station examples in region 1.

CFS and SES Management Commitee's would continue to exist separately, but the membership would be dual.

I bring mr kiesslings good word's of united we stand....into a Inter-Service respect.

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 01:17:49 PM »
It is a little sad if they have closed down but I'm sure the MFS and CFS in Murray Bridge can handle any immediate response that may cause injury or a fatality and anything larger scale you bring in SES units from further out.

How do these dual membership brigades work? Do they still have CFS and SES resources sitting next to each other and cross man them?

How about stop flogging a dead horse and if these SES units can't survive let the local fire services take over so the community is not paying for resources that are hardly used and then if these SES members still want to volunteer join the fire service.

Sometimes you got to take the heart out of a decision and provide what the community needs and unfortunately if that is a service that can't respond so be it!

Darren

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 01:21:30 PM »
You still have to be a member of SES, but in the case of Onkaparinga group you don't, just use the SES trucks.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 03:57:29 PM »
in the case of Onkaparinga group you don't, just use the SES trucks.

Not quite as true as it used to be.... State(SES) decided to make as many of the group as possible SES members - and conduct basic training for them.

Was fairly well attended i believe.

Darren

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 08:28:07 PM »
Yeah but good luck finding someone in orange !! Also doesn't change the fact that the CFS rescue gear is on the SES rescue truck and that its always full of yellow people.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 07:06:15 AM »
it's a wonder state fleet hasn't jumped in and introduced a generically badged vehicle (of varying classes)  for MFS/CFS/SES yet- negating the need for duplicating spare trucks in 3 different services....

...imagine the cost savings!!

imagine the carry on..... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Offline BundyBear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
Yeah but good luck finding someone in orange !! Also doesn't change the fact that the CFS rescue gear is on the SES rescue truck and that its always full of yellow people.

Well that follows my line of thought if SES in areas can't supply manning for rescue get rid of the SES appliances stow the rescue gear on a CFS or MFS retained appliance and the jobs done. Plus the attending Fire appliance in country areas (where crewing can be tight) has then got fire cover for the incident until the 2nd appliance arrives from the same brigade or the next brigade in another town.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »

Well that follows my line of thought if SES in areas can't supply manning for rescue get rid of the SES appliances stow the rescue gear on a CFS or MFS retained appliance and the jobs done. Plus the attending Fire appliance in country areas (where crewing can be tight) has then got fire cover for the incident until the 2nd appliance arrives from the same brigade or the next brigade in another town.

Been there....discussed that...look in old threads...
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2010, 12:50:47 PM »
Yeah, fair call, I cant argue with that.

Murray Bridge very recently suffered a death in the 'family', and I believe it has knocked them about a bit.

Offline Shiner

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2010, 02:03:10 PM »
Well fella's, they just responded to their page to a crash the other side of Murray Bridge and went up Thomas Street priority 1 albeit a few minutes after the CFS truck.
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2010, 08:17:03 AM »

Hmmmm...I might be wrong but I thought it was the heavier duty SES RCR equipment on the SES Onkaparinga truck. Last I heard some CFS gear was on the CFS truck so it was a bit of a double up.

Yes, they wear CFS PPE but who cares...the community is served.
Andrew Macmichael

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2010, 08:22:56 AM »

Hmmmm...I might be wrong but I thought it was the heavier duty SES RCR equipment on the SES Onkaparinga truck. Last I heard some CFS gear was on the CFS truck so it was a bit of a double up.

Yes, they wear CFS PPE but who cares...the community is served.

All the rescue gear is on Loby Rescue, with a spare set for Loby 24P on it sometimes.      Trained by CFS for Road Rescue...but now that MFS/CFS/SES do road rescue training under the same banner...no diff now :)

Darren

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2010, 11:57:06 AM »
Oh well if no one cares can I order a new truck from the SES but not stow it with SES gear or have any SES people on it. Its just a clear ploy for extra gear that the CFS won't provide.....

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »
Oh well if no one cares can I order a new truck from the SES but not stow it with SES gear or have any SES people on it. Its just a clear ploy for extra gear that the CFS won't provide.....

Except the SES have no capital budget to give you the truck or equipment as a new Unit.....
Andrew Macmichael

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
SES in my town were struggling for a while, with local CFS and SES members meeting with an outcome of dual response, to RCR's. I don't like to use the words SES to close down, or the CFS pushing them out but all were in agreeance at local level.  However, when put thru the chain of command there was no way one of the services would sign off.  It has happened now but it seems silly that two agencies in one town have duplicated equipment. I thought this is what SAFECOM were all about.  Hence to say, one of the services mentioned chooses what jobs they respond to!

Offline drmz

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »
safecom what has it done????????? Cost vs benefit? We still have duplication.

Darren

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2010, 10:57:10 AM »
That is a joke MengCFS, here we are saying we need more money and stupid things like that are still happening!!

anything