Author Topic: MFS Retained SO hangs up boots after 50 Years  (Read 3329 times)

Darren

MFS Retained SO hangs up boots after 50 Years
« on: January 15, 2010, 07:42:20 AM »
media alert
SA Metropolitan Fire Service
Hanging up the boots after 50 years
Wednesday, 13 January 2010

This Friday, one of the Metropolitan Fire Service’s (MFS) longest serving firefighters will hang up his boots for the last time after 50 years of service to the community of Mount Gambier.

Retained Station Officer John Elliott’s remarkable length of service will be celebrated at a special ceremony at the Mount Gambier MFS Station on Friday, 15 January from 2.00 pm. Media are invited to attend.

The Minister for Emergency Services, the Hon. Michael Wright MP says Station Officer Elliott’s half century milestone is an amazing achievement.
“The community of South Australia is very fortunate to have enjoyed 50 years of service from Station Officer Elliott. The level of selfless dedication he has shown to his work and community is remarkable,” Minister Wright says.

*Retained Station Officer John Elliott commenced his service with the MFS at Mount Gambier on 16 January 1960, and will officially retire on 16 January, 2010.

MFS Chief Officer, Grant Lupton says Mount Gambier has been lucky to have such a reliable, experienced and committed firefighter and leader serving the community.

“Retained Station Officer John Elliott has clearly demonstrated his professionalism as a firefighter and his dedication to serving others, he also has the highest attendance percentage at his station.

“Over the past fifty years Retained Station Officer Elliott has given far more to his community than we could ever measure, fulfilling duties such as fighting structure fires and bushfires, containing hazardous material incidents and responding to road crashes.

“He has always been available to help the people of Mount Gambier and has successfully managed hundreds of incidents with the help of his fellow firefighters. Mount Gambier MFS and the wider organisation will miss John’s service,” Chief Officer Lupton says.

John Elliott has been recognised for his dedication to the MFS with the Australian Fire Service Medal (AFSM), a Lions Senior of the Year Award and a Mount Gambier City Council Outstanding Service Award. He also has a National Medal and a First, Second and Third Clasp marking the first 45 years of his fire fighting service.

MFS South-East Regional Manager, George Rodis says, “John has been the operational officer in charge since I have been in Mount Gambier and the enthusiasm he has for his role and responsibilities in serving the community is amazing.

“This milestone of serving the community as an operational firefighter for 50 years is a rare feat and I will definitely miss his experience, compassion and friendship. I wish John well in his retirement,” Regional Manager Rodis says.

Well done John on 50 years ACTIVE service, not many can say they have been ACTIVE firefighting for 50 years. I am sure you will be missed by your crew.

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: MFS Retained SO hangs up boots after 50 Years
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 09:39:09 PM »
filtered good effort I say!!
Not something that is likely to occur much these days.
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!