Author Topic: private fire appliances  (Read 59960 times)

rescue5271

Re: private fire appliances
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2006, 01:13:53 PM »
robert,before you do that I would make sure that you have insurance and that your units meets the new guide lines on private fire appliances....

strikeathird

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2006, 01:26:40 PM »
Thats a whole new thing robert..  You are basically saying you are going to form a private fire service.. !!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2006, 04:26:24 PM »
Im very much aware of needing insurance and that my unit meets standards rescue5271 im currently in the planning stages of how to design it

You almost have hit the nail right on the head strikeathird yes i am saving up to build my 14 unit but im gonna buy the equipment in pieces and build it my way which not only meets standards but also provides me with enough room to work and store extra equipment e.g. rakehoes and knapsacks

Being i might be going to Mount Gambier tomorrow im gonna buy a couple things to build a scale model one of these quiet possibly will be a scale model size ute like the ones that are sold in K-mart & Toy World

There is no set time frame for the launch of my 14 unit but im really hoping if i get this job as a trainee car detailer i'll be able to have enough money to start buying fire equipment such as a 600 litre tank, fire hose,pump and a ute to place my slip on unit on  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2006, 06:27:29 AM »
Robert,you can always buy a good seconh hand qav or tanker from the CFA in Ballarat

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2006, 07:06:03 AM »
True rescue5271 i could go to Ballarat and buy a secondhand QAV from CFA but secondhand ones from there cost alot of money  :-)

Plus i have no idea how much one is  :-(
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »
Robert it comes down to how much you want to spend one local farmer here picked up a good 4wd 300lt tanker with pump for $9000 and it goes well.You could always check what the CFS has coming up for sale....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2006, 05:14:41 PM »
Went to Mount Gambier today and brought bits and pieces to build my prototype scale model QAV.... after building 2 versions i got my parents to say which prototype was best and surely enough number 1 was best for my needs

I brought a pull back white toy ute from Toys Stampede and a small black project transformer from Anvil Electronics along with some wire cover and used my imagination

The end result after doing it over and over again was perfect

My model scale design is as follows.... a 600 litre model tank made out of wood with a piece of wire cover acting as a hose connecting to the pump a.k.a small black transformer with a long piece of string acting as the single hose line connected to pump

I hope you love the sound of this design as my actual design my be different cause the one i have described is only prototype  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2006, 10:13:37 PM »
can you post a picture of your model

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2006, 06:02:33 AM »
Sure tillerman as soon as i gain access to my dads digital camera ans scanner ill save it onto a disk and upload it onto this site some time today
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2006, 11:18:18 AM »
It seems that i cant place the pics on this site for some reason... would it be alright if i sent them to you via email tillerman  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2006, 04:29:51 PM »
You have to upload, and host it.

Go to photobucket.com   .. create an accoun (its free)  .. Upload the photo in that.. (its like a big photo gallery)..

Once uploaded, copy the image tags it puts underneath the thumb nail shot, then put them in a post in here...

should look like     .. 

Unless this board uses http or html image tags ??   Firefrog ??

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2006, 10:27:48 AM »
Can anyone tell me where i can obtain the new guide lines for private fire appliances cause it seems that my employment is imminent and as soon as i start working a little bit of my pay each week will be set aside to purchase equipment

Is there a website that has the new guide lines  :?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 11:20:28 AM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2006, 11:23:17 AM »
It seems no one has given me an website to go to for the new guide lines some im gonna ask real nicely again

Can anyone tell me if is there a website i can obtain new guide lines for private fire appliances from or do i need to write to my regional office and ask for info
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline fire03rescue

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2006, 11:43:48 AM »
If it your own appliance you can do what you want, it has nothing to do with the CFS

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2006, 12:45:38 PM »
true fire03rescue but it's better to be safe than sorry but the question is do i need to go to a website to get then new guide lines or something
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2006, 07:27:48 PM »
Robert the new guidlines are not up and running yet best you contact the region H/Q and have a chat to the once staff there.....

strikeathird

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2006, 07:52:53 PM »
Robert, if no one replied, chances are no one knows.. Cant really have 100 board members go .. I DONT KNOW.. easier for them not to reply..

I personally wouldn't go to all the hassle to spend money on / create and build up a private fire unit mate.. Thats what the CFS appliance is for.. You are still in the brigae aren't you ?  Wouldnt you turn out with them when the need for the unit was there any way ?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 05:43:59 PM by strikeathird »

Offline Lt.

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2006, 10:03:33 AM »
well the Country Fires Act does give an CFS officer the power to remove person or persons from a fireground/incident/dwelling if they are hindering rescue/containment efforts and if life is threatend... SAPOL should and majority of the time will be more than happy to assist with this. but it's a touchy thing to do.
There is always one more thing you can do...!

rescue5271

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2006, 10:58:35 AM »
If we all ran out and did this we would only open a can of worms,better to try and fix some of the problems that we have at the moment. Dont get me wrong private units have their place but they need to follow a set of SOPS and they are not allowed to charge or ask the local community for money.. If a community has a CFS brigade they should support and maintain that rather than run out and buy a private unit... support what you have at hand first...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2006, 12:17:36 PM »
Thats deadset true rescue5271 but bear in mind not all communities support their CFS brigade for certain reasons i should know myself because the town i live in doesn't support our brigade at all 

Whoops i might have said something contraversial :oops: (runs and hides before a shotgun is pulled out)  :-P
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Lt.

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2006, 01:50:06 PM »
no thats right, as the saying goes many hands make light work.... as long as they are all working for a common goal and are doing it safetly...thats all that really matters
There is always one more thing you can do...!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2006, 07:44:12 PM »
Personally once i get my quick attack unit up and running the first thing im gonna do is get it checked by Region 5 if it meets OHS&W requirements i'll fit a UHF CB Radio & a trunk tracker scanner in it
for communications purposes

If allowed i might make use of my CFS overalls & Helmet as fire ground PPE... this will happen if my quick attack is recognised as a registered CFS 14 QAV unit

its gonna be a few months before equipment is purchased so im looking around between start & mid of next fire season possibly for my units debut  if not then maybe further down the track
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 07:48:02 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2006, 07:12:46 AM »
firstly,,, you will never get a private (personal) unit recognised as a CFS vehicle.

and secondly, therefore wearing CFS PPE would be a big no as well, and would effectively be misuse of CFS equipment

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2006, 08:39:18 AM »
mmmm - private fire service, operating in CFS area - slight breach of legislation!

As for using CFS PPE on a private appliance - others on this post talk of MFS wannabees - what is this case then????? CFS wannabees from a CFS member who wants their own truck.

Best solution - do your own private appliance and operate it as just that, a private appliance, operated by a private person (there are hundreds of these across the state that operate perfectly) - trying to mix it with CFS will just add more confussion and BS to a system that is overloaded with it!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2006, 09:13:31 AM »
also i wouldnt reccomend monitoring a scanner and then turning yourself out to jobs miles from home... (oh god, as i write this i can imagine you going out and purchasing a lightbar and siren for pirvate use...) most private units are used on there own property's and there neighours... with the exception of the big one where the do travel miles to help out...

anything