Author Topic: private fire appliances  (Read 59955 times)

Offline 24P

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: private fire appliances
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2005, 03:28:53 PM »
There's a working party looking into everything, soon there will be a working party looking into working party's.
but do these working parties really work?
Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you.

rescue5271

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2005, 07:25:14 AM »
Not sure if the working parys work or just get togaether and talk about life,funny how come they never ask people to get on these working partys other than the same old faces????? May be they dont like people who speak their mind

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Tailem Bend Country Fire Service
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2005, 12:47:23 PM »
That would explain why I was never invited back to a second working party
:-)
There's a difference between genius and stupidity -- genius has it's limits.

strikeathird

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2005, 12:26:55 PM »
:lol:

corocfs

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 03:03:12 AM »
didnt think anyone in the CFS appreciated ppl speaking there mind???

rescue5271

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2005, 08:01:12 AM »
Why is it that its the same people on all the working partys?? why dont they ask members if they would like to come on board and have a fresh look, fresh view, rather than old faces with old view and who have not been on the frontline for a long time...........

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2005, 11:08:59 AM »
I wonder if it's not a matter of being asked. Often we wait to be invited to participate in something but the invitation never comes. I try to be proactive and make contact myself if I would like to be involved.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2005, 09:39:02 AM »
Many of the people are on the front line blinky - maybe not down your way but certainly the working parties that I have seen have front line people on them and not just GO's. Those who go on them though often let it be know that they are interested - hence get asked.

I am aware of a number of times that requests have gone to brigades from the Region or HQ looking for interested persons - I guess it's a matter of Captains or GO's knowing who of their people are interested and also ensuring that if they recommend them their time and effort is going to be worth it, valued and that they are not just trying to push their own barrow, but are looking at the whole service.
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2005, 07:50:58 PM »
The same old faces on some of these committees and groups are oft heard to comment what a shame it is noone new is willing to contribute.....

strikeathird

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2005, 12:31:38 AM »
Maybe no one "new" is willing to contribute cause the feel that its a load of bollocks, and not going o achieve anything?

Maybe no one "new" is willing to contribute because they are tired of seeing the same people at it all the time?

Maybe no one "new" is willing to contribute because they feel what they do say is ignored any way?

Maybe no one "new" is willing to contribute because they are lazy, and couldn't give a stuff.

Who knows!

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2005, 09:56:12 AM »
Maybe no one "new" is willing to contribute because they are lazy, and couldn't give a stuff.

Maybe it's just easier to sit on the outside and roast those who are doing it than to get into the pot and be prepared to get a roasting!

There are many opinion in CFS - many of the committee, working parties, Groups need to consider all 430 brigades, not just our own individual brigades.

If you want ot go on them, then put your hand up , have a go!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2005, 09:41:42 PM »
I'm a fire fighter with the CFS in Kalangadoo and when ever we get a call out to a grass or scrub fire near Kalangadoo there is at least 3 or 4 private fire units already combating the fire prior to our brigades arrival

Private Fire Units are the backbone of the CFS if we didn't have these units our chances of knocking down a real big fire in scrub land shortly after it starts isn't very good regardless of how many brigades are on scene and plus these private 14 units can go some places where normal 34 or 24 CFS trucks cant go
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 09:45:07 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2005, 10:54:15 PM »
True that !

rescue5271

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2005, 07:41:42 AM »
With sumer now not too far  away and with the two scrub fires that we have had private units will be very handy for us to use them at jobs, As long as they have correct ppe and now something about fire but above all make contact with people so as we know they are there rather than just show up and do what they want.....Yes they are the backbone as this is how most fire services started ....

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2005, 04:43:19 PM »
A wildfire which happened on the Kalangadoo-Glencoe a few years back was spotted by farmers in that vicinity who responded and restricted it to burning so many paddocks and a hayshed... think about what would have happened if these private fire units were non existent Kalangadoo and Glencoe would have been wiped out by this fire in a matter of hours

I would like to also note that when the call of duty was sent out for CFS fire crews to respond at the same time private fire units from other farms around the district also came to help out therefore proving that in a way these farm fire fighters are the real unsung heroes
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2006, 05:23:39 PM »
This topic has been gathering cobwebs for 5 1/2 months so i reckon we should reignite the subject of privately owned fire units just to keep it active

During last month we had many fires around South Australia started by either lighting,machinery or arsonists which burnt out loads of scrub & grassland....every second day while watching National Nine News privately owned fire units popped up on the screen at a grass fire either putting it out or mopping up

It seems that quick attack units are becoming more increasingly popular when it comes to dealing with grass fires even though these slip on units only carry 400 or 600 litres of water they are still good for putting out the head of a grass or scrub fire

What are everyone else's thoughts
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2006, 07:22:47 AM »
They Are Great Little Units & Can Be A Valuable Resource, Providing That Adequate Training Is Provided & The Operators Follow All Instructions Given To Them, We Can't Have Cow Boys On The Fire Ground Thats Our Job. (Sarcasm) :-D

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2006, 07:37:54 AM »
I agree with Cyber...the private units are valuable PROVIDED that they work with us, are appropriately dressed and follow instruction..we have had a lot of criticism from this group following Black Tuesday and we are trialling a system that incorporates them, using magnetic numbers for doors etc...we also have a few problems with them all sitting around watching us work..my crew are landowners and vollies too...when they start this caper, we leave and hand it back to them.

We also have problems with them not being appropriately attired..eg CFS jacket, board shorts and no shoes on the back of a ute...and they would expect to be covered by our insurance if they get hurt...

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2006, 08:15:30 AM »
Very true Capt Com the crews who man these quick attack units should be properly dressed for combating grass fires but there are a few landowners who's crews outfit themselves with PPE e.g Work Overalls and safety helmets or cowboy hats

I know this may seem abit silly but im in the progress of designing my own quick attack unit however i am taking my time with gathering equipment and the right kinda vehicle  :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2006, 12:25:44 PM »
Helmets or cowboyhats...     :lol:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2006, 04:31:04 PM »
When i get my quick attack built im gonna have my own coloured overalls possibly dark orange or light green coloured along with a fire helmet (same style as CFS but with no logo on it)
 :-D
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline kat

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2006, 04:38:30 PM »
the private units are valuable PROVIDED that they work with us, are appropriately dressed and follow instruction..we have had a lot of criticism from this group following Black Tuesday

This must be so frustrating. This sector does seem quick to knock the CFS. Then they're the ones who think we're being over the top (control freak tossers) when we request to know where they are, how we can communicate with them, offer them radios, foam, proper clothing. They often work contrary to the overall aim, and, as you say, sit and watch us in mop up phase (perhaps loudly commenting on how we stuffed it all up).

I wonder how we would go if we needed to remove them from a fireground though (particularly if it was their property). I don't know that it's logsitically posssible. I'm sure our local cops wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole!

Offline CaptCom

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2006, 07:32:51 AM »
Kat, I believe it's one of those situations that is going to find it hard to please everyone...but we are making a Code that they will sign which is their agreeance to abide by what we ask...you need to look at who they are..mostly they are often NOT CFS members and so they think we are all tossers anyway and often over the top...interesting that the 2 firefighters that lost their lives were in a farmer unit...makes you wonder what we go on about really..

strikeathird

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2006, 11:05:19 AM »
When i get my quick attack built im gonna have my own coloured overalls possibly dark orange or light green coloured along with a fire helmet (same style as CFS but with no logo on it)
 :-D

Vigilante fire service mate.. Probably not the best idea!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2006, 12:59:03 PM »
Its not gonna be a vigilante fire service strikeathird as im actually thinking about providinhg fire cover to landowners and contractors who dont have their own fire crews
Kalangadoo Brigade