Author Topic: private fire appliances  (Read 59991 times)

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: private fire appliances
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2006, 10:23:08 AM »
Thats what i am trying to say oz fire im gonna have my own private unit but im going to have it checked by CFS to see if it meets OHS&W Rules and Regulations for private fire units

Im also gonna have my own private fire fighting PPE... the only reason behind me saying that i might use my CFS PPE if there is the likelyhood of my unit being asked to be registered although that is unlikely  :-)

medevac nearly all private units in this state carry a UHF CB or a scanner and as for purchasing a lightbar & siren that aint gonna happen  :lol: cause im only going to have a simple amber coloured beacon
Kalangadoo Brigade

strikeathird

« Reply #76 on: March 03, 2006, 12:06:29 AM »
god i give up reading this thread !!

Robert, you cant use CFS PPE, you cant act on the info gained from a Scanner.. You cant / won't be reconised as a CFS QAV..

Turn out with your brigade!!  Don't waste the time and money !

Unless you, yourself, have a property of such proportion that it requires that you take such means to protect it..

But in a fire just turn out with the truck !  What good is the truck if it can't turn out cause it needs one member, and he is scooting off in his ute, with 200l of water, no ppe, and a UHF radio !

Honestly mate..
 :roll:
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 12:09:44 AM by strikeathird »

rescue5271

« Reply #77 on: March 03, 2006, 05:53:14 AM »
Robert the new guidelines are out and before you run out and make a private unit I would read them as they are clear as to how you may take ya applinaces to a rural fire but you can not just roll up and start firefighting ... You need to have a few things before you go onto the fireground. You can not wear CFS ppe but you have to buy ya own set...

Robert if I was you mate just turnout with ya own brigade because if you dont and other members do what you intend to do you may find that your town will lose the cfs appliances that you already have...... :evil:

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2006, 06:57:03 AM »
I know it seems like an impossible thing to do strikeathird there reason i am wanting to build a QAV is because our brigade have a real hard time getting a crew during day time hours in summer and on some occasions we dont even have a driver rock up

At the risk of once again being told off for saying contraversial i am just gonna say that we do have a truck driver but he is kind of a panic merchant  :-(

Hey rescue5271 where can i get a copy of the new guidelines or if posible can you send me a copy via mail as i'd very much appreciate it so im able to sit back and read the new guidelines before doing anything

Oh yeah just for the record this QAV will be my own unit for when im out of town out& about during summer time & fire season and to far away from any fire station  :-)  :wink:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline nomex_nugget

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2006, 08:05:28 AM »
Hey Robert, if drivers are such a problem in your brigade then why not get your truck license and help solve the problem.

I know many brigades will contribute $$$$ to the process, some will pay for the last lesson and the test. It's a win win, you get your license and the brigade gets a driver.

Bring it up with your operations or management committees.

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2006, 08:21:09 AM »
unless you do have a large property robert, i think it is in both yours and the communitys best interest for you too continue responding on the brigade appliance as a brigade member, since it sounds like they have such large crewing peoblems.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2006, 08:54:07 AM »
robert - forget the one boy fire service (it dangerous to be out on your own) - focus on assisting your community by crewing the town appliance, that would be of more use to the community and the greater CFS!
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2006, 09:10:33 AM »
Hey strikeathird can you do me a favour mate lock this thread as im getting sick of it  :-)
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2006, 09:16:18 AM »
only th original creator of the thread or a mod can lock threads.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2006, 09:17:55 AM »
Sorry Global Moderators - but it has to be said

Robert - if your sick of it, don't read it, no one if forcing you too :-o
Then we may also get back on track and stay focused on the topics posted :-D
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2006, 09:36:14 AM »
Please keep things on topic..

I will lock this thread if need be.

strikeathird

« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2006, 10:52:40 AM »
I cant mate, only Mike, FireFrog, Kat or yourself can lock it.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2006, 06:51:49 PM »
Hey Robert, if drivers are such a problem in your brigade then why not get your truck license and help solve the problem.

I know many brigades will contribute $$$$ to the process, some will pay for the last lesson and the test. It's a win win, you get your license and the brigade gets a driver.

I have come in a little late to this discussion, but for brigades having trouble with getting drivers, CFS will pay to train up to four drivers per truck, excluding officers.  So if you don't have four truck drivers, who are not Officers, get in touch with your Regional Training officer, and get the info.....CFS will fund those places, if you don't have enough!!   :-D
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Lt.

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2006, 07:54:09 AM »
your spot on.. cfs will pay for some of you licence fee or if you live in a remote location ie far north they might even consider paying the whole fee ($110 for test in the far north) thats how I go my truck licence. it's worth the effort. and you'll be suprised at how much the brigade really does benifit from having another driver.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 07:57:12 AM by Lt. »
There is always one more thing you can do...!

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2006, 01:49:32 PM »
I was considering going for a MR licence out of my own pocket but the cost of it was too dear

As far as im concerned it's better to see how our brigade goes in the next few months as there has been talk that it wont last any longer unless we get more members which is highly unlikely due to our community not wanting to help or support the Kalangadoo CFS  :cry:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2006, 11:07:00 PM »
my group (in R1, not the far north) paid for me, and many others, to upgrade from car to MR license.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2006, 09:04:07 AM »
Well i went to a brigade meeting last night and despite it being real fiery over an incident where everyone stuffed up i managed to have the guts to bring about how obtain a MR licence through the group

The reason i brought this issue up was because between 4-4:30pm yesterday afternoon our brigade got dispatched to a fire at CHH Nangwarry below are the pager messages

1909366 16:08:39 08-05-06 SHQ: *CFSRES: PENOLA, NANGWARRY & KALANGADOO RESPOND FIRE AT CARTER HOLT HARVEY NANGWARRY

1909366 16:26:09 08-05-06 WRGC-P: KALANGADOO RESPOND STATION CFSRES

Normally one of the members who is on the captains good side would be first down the shed but on this occasion i was left standing around for 5-10 minutes waiting for extra crew to turn up or at least an OIC to give me authorization to set the siren of

If no one turned up literally full stop i would have set the siren off at the risk of my getting my donkey kicked by the captain for setting it off without a minimum 2 crew and no driver

But after making a phonecall home and informing mum who's pager was in her car that we were needed she came down and the siren was set off however the one thing that gets me is that our Admin Officer who is the Captains wife has a MR licence & CFS Level 1 yet she didnt turn up after hearing the siren instead rocked up when our captain arrived   

I always thought that after Admin Officers do their level 1 & have a MR licence are supposed to be emergency drivers and rock up when they hear the siren but in this case it didnt happen which is real sad  :cry: because god knows how bad the situation was as we had no idea until our captain in asking if we were still needed
Kalangadoo Brigade

probie_boy

« Reply #92 on: May 09, 2006, 09:53:32 AM »
Well i went to a brigade meeting last night and despite it being real fiery over an incident where everyone stuffed up i managed to have the guts to bring about how obtain a MR licence through the group

The reason i brought this issue up was because between 4-4:30pm yesterday afternoon our brigade got dispatched to a fire at CHH Nangwarry below are the pager messages

1909366 16:08:39 08-05-06 SHQ: *CFSRES: PENOLA, NANGWARRY & KALANGADOO RESPOND FIRE AT CARTER HOLT HARVEY NANGWARRY

1909366 16:26:09 08-05-06 WRGC-P: KALANGADOO RESPOND STATION CFSRES

Normally one of the members who is on the captains good side would be first down the shed but on this occasion i was left standing around for 5-10 minutes waiting for extra crew to turn up or at least an OIC to give me authorization to set the siren of

If no one turned up literally full stop i would have set the siren off at the risk of my getting my donkey kicked by the captain for setting it off without a minimum 2 crew and no driver

But after making a phonecall home and informing mum who's pager was in her car that we were needed she came down and the siren was set off however the one thing that gets me is that our Admin Officer who is the Captains wife has a MR licence & CFS Level 1 yet she didnt turn up after hearing the siren instead rocked up when our captain arrived   

I always thought that after Admin Officers do their level 1 & have a MR licence are supposed to be emergency drivers and rock up when they hear the siren but in this case it didnt happen which is real sad  :cry: because god knows how bad the situation was as we had no idea until our captain in asking if we were still needed

jesus :-o

are you guys in Kalangadoo or freakin Iraq?!?!

It sounds like you are all at war with each other, and waiting for a chance to go off at each other.

The sheer fact that you needed to have "the guts" to ask about how to get an MR licence at a meeting is just plain ridiculous.

Perhaps all your in-fighting is the reason why attendance at calls is poor? It sounds like all your members are too afraid to screw up at the risk of being yelled at so they just don't show up.

By all means, correct me if I'm wrong here, but it sounds like you guys all need to meake peace with each other.

stop drinkin hateorade!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:30:42 AM by probie_boy »

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2006, 11:36:05 AM »
Thats really true probie_boy we need to make peace with each other but the feud only started when 2 members (not mentioning any names)some how got all of their levels as well as leadership certificates in a space of 1 month ahead of each course

I can assure you this i did make peace with one of the members but it was shortlived as the Captain was told about this incident where everyone stuffed resulting in myself & the member getting both our butts kicked and let off with a warning  :-)

Cant we just put this thread behind us and get on with important ones as this one is months old and i dont want to start any arguements  :cry:
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2006, 01:04:01 PM »
Cant we just put this thread behind us and get on with important ones as this one is months old and i dont want to start any arguements  :cry:

if you want the thread to die you'd better stop posting in it.  And don't you think it's a little bit strange you say you don't want to start any arguments and yet have described your brigades response to a callout that, shall we say, does not present your brigade in the best light.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2006, 01:34:04 PM »
Final comment on brigade isssues:

Time to stop focusing on all the bad things that have happened and try working on how to get things back on track.... and if it hasnt happened to you, maybe a little constructive advise perhaps!

Think about it....

If this thread strays off topic again it will be closed!

Now, I believe a draft copy of a training package for private fire appliances was sent to a few people (not sure who). From what I have heard around the traps it was basically a re-hashed level 1. The general consensus seemed to be that it was not appropriate for the people it was targeting, and they would more than likely think it was a load of 'that stuff you find on the ground that no-one likes to step in'!

This is only information that has come through the ranks..... is anyone able to shed some more light???

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2006, 04:11:58 PM »
I'm not able to shed any light on it Mike as I'm still trying to locate the new private fire appliance guidelines myself so i can read them

From what i can recall going back to late 2004 when i did my level 1 re accreditation in Millicent we had other volunteers from forestry companies like Woakwine where they only use 14 units as first attack

What the CFS maybe trying to say is that any land owners or small businesses who utilize private fire appliances must make sure that their crew or crews are trained up to CFS Level 1 or as it is called now Basic Fire Fighter 1 standards

This is to avoid any injuries or fatalities happening on the fire ground... i hope this sheds some light on it
Kalangadoo Brigade

rescue5271

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2006, 06:08:57 PM »
MMMMMMMM what can I say????????? :?

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2006, 08:55:03 PM »
i reckon i can hear the bangos from here...

i dont see why you need a minimum crew to set of the siren... becasue surely the siren means "mopre crew required.." perhaps more ppl should just wear there pagers in the first place  :roll:

im off track... anyway, unless other ppl on this forum know your particular brigades policies and procedures we cant help ya at all and just get very bored...

probie_boy

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2006, 09:56:47 AM »
Is it just me, or does it seem like robert34 has his heart set on this and none of our comments are going to sway him?

Personally Robert, listen to the majority here. A good portion of these ppl are experienced firefighters just like you. GETTING YOUR OWN FIRE APPLIANCE AND STARTING A LITTLE VIGILANTE BRIGADE IS A WASTE OF YOUR TIME, EFFORT AND MONEY. Your clearly willing to spend a lot of time and money on this, instead why don't you add that time and money onto what your doing at Kalangadoo? It would be of greater benefit to you and your community.

rant over

anything