Author Topic: New Private Ambulance Award  (Read 6324 times)

360Joules

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:14:03 PM by 360Joules »

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: New Private Ambulance Award
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 08:53:58 PM »
lol....less than $20 an hr as an AO...theres an award worth living on...lolol....dont believe that theres too many companies operating in SA that have too much to worry about not exceeding that particular clause.

If all you're gonna do is pay THIS award....it will be hard to attract quality people..lol

Offline medic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:36:21 AM »
Hi I am student para I am looking for work. Who are these private companies or where can I find them please

360Joules

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »
 :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:14:19 PM by 360Joules »

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 10:32:41 PM »
360J,

I am sorry, but I resent the fact that you refer to RMT, maybe without directly knowing but Paramedical Services is the only RTO provider producing RMT's.  We pay according to the "PRIVATE AMBULANCE SERVICES PROVIDERS CONSENT (STATE) AWARD" and often above it.

Regards,

Ben

Offline EmesisBag

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 11:40:48 PM »
Doesn't look like this award would apply to those companies that do event stuff though 360J?
Only says "ambulance and patient transport industry"... I reckon that'd be their loophole. Of course if you're running a private PTS service then you're covered by it. One would assume the kicker is whether they hold an ambulance licence or not.

:?

Offline disOrderly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 12:58:29 AM »
Wow, I am surprised that the pay rate is so low. Even if we take it as a PTS only company, they would need a Cert IV BEC correct?

So as a casual Orderly with no qualifications at all I make more money than an Ambo with at least a Cert IV and more responsibility. That is going by the example you displayed however.
Check out the Australian Healthcare Forums: http://aushealth.forumup.com.au/

Offline EmesisBag

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 01:55:33 AM »
Wow, I am surprised that the pay rate is so low. Even if we take it as a PTS only company, they would need a Cert IV BEC correct?

So as a casual Orderly with no qualifications at all I make more money than an Ambo with at least a Cert IV and more responsibility. That is going by the example you displayed however.

IIRC some PTS services in vic have staff with cert 3 level qualifications as their basic PTS officer...

360Joules

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 03:26:02 PM »
 :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:14:41 PM by 360Joules »

360Joules

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 03:53:03 PM »
360J,

I am sorry, but I resent the fact that you refer to RMT, maybe without directly knowing but Paramedical Services is the only RTO provider producing RMT's.  We pay according to the "PRIVATE AMBULANCE SERVICES PROVIDERS CONSENT (STATE) AWARD" and often above it.

Regards,

Ben

Ben no offence to your specific company intended. I'm glad you pay award rates. In fact checking out the NSW rates you linked to, shows how companies can pay above the national rates and obviously get better and happier staff.

Offline EmesisBag

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 05:50:25 PM »

EMBag... nope I rang Fair Work Australia today and has nothing to do with what your company does or if its licenced or not, its what your work duties and qualifications are. So yep even event work is covered by the award at first aid officer, patient transport officer, paramedic and IC Paramedic level (assuming its not work for state government service i.e. SAAS and then your coverred by a separate award). If your a Doctor or nurse you must be have pay and conditions to their respective state awards. There are also other awards that cover paid First Aiders.

EMBag you raise my previous point  that some of these companies doing PTS and events don't have appropriate government licences, perhaps as you suggest to escape such awards

Remember awards as the basic rights for an employee. So for example the SA Nurses award gives a pay rate of $21.55 per hour (weekday day shift) for a senior RN. Believe me no RN works in public hospitals for this rate more like $33.00 hour (weekday day shift).

So the award gives a minimum and basic pay rate and conditions. Most employers know they need pay way more than the award to get the best staff. My concern is that if these private are going to compete in the open market they need to pay the award rate and conditions i.e uniforms, penalties rates, casual rates etc. It appears many of them are not. Its not about sour grapes of loosing PTS and event work (even though I still believe SAAS should be doing this until someone can convince me otherwise). Its more about longevity of pre-hospital care. If companies are paying scab wages their staff will either not hang around or they will hire undertrained incompetents willing to work for a pittance. Meaning me and my SAAS colleagues will have to pick up the pieces. I'm also not a fan of companies shafting their workers wages and conditions, this happened to me in a previous life before I became an ambo.

I have raised these issues with Fair Work Australia and the AEA.
Not my company in any way shape or form, just a curious onlooker.