General Discussion > Women of the Fire Industry

La Trobe University Survey

<< < (2/6) > >>

rescue5271:
Firetruck,you will always have that problem and what the younger members have to remember is that the older members where once like them and that we all get old. The other problem that does and is taking place is that older members are taking big stepps back for the younger member but at what cost to a brigade. We all need to learn to work as a team and not the old and the young.....

TillerMan:
I dont have a problem with older experienced members, but i do have a problem when older new people join.
I am only 22 but have been in the cfs for 8 years and
am a senior firefighter and i cant stand it when someone over the age of 40 joins the brigade and expects me to bow down for them on the fire ground.
Sure these people have life experience which i value but they still have never seen a fire just like a 16 year old that joins. Of course because officers cant disaplin anyone anymore you just have to put up with it.

Sorry off the subject a bit.

rescue5271:
I see where your coming from tiller man but it does work both was,hey may be at the next job ask him how he would do your job.. So who gets to see the results of this survey?? are there any plan's for males to do a survey of this type works both was...

corocfs:

--- Quote from: TillerMan on September 24, 2005, 07:16:51 PM ---I dont have a problem with older experienced members, but i do have a problem when older new people join.
I am only 22 but have been in the cfs for 8 years and
am a senior firefighter and i cant stand it when someone over the age of 40 joins the brigade and expects me to bow down for them on the fire ground.
Sure these people have life experience which i value but they still have never seen a fire just like a 16 year old that joins. Of course because officers cant disaplin anyone anymore you just have to put up with it.

Sorry off the subject a bit.

--- End quote ---

i understand exactly!!! hate it... lucky thing for you is that you have the red stripe that at least lets them know that youve been around.

i have been around for 3 and a bit years asa firie and seen a fair bit of action, got a fair bit of experience, and as you said older ppl join and they just pay absoloutely no attention to anything that you can help them with or teach them.

Firefrog:
This is all quite a generalisation.

When older people join it it not the persons age that determines if they will respect the experience of younger people. It is their character and personality.

I have been in a situation where a retired person joined and I was able to help him go from strength to strength. He never once looked down on my age, rather highly valued what I had to offer.

So it is dependant on the individual not an age bracket. IMO :-)

It's very good to see that CFS is conducting surveys, it hopefully means the powers want things to improve.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version