Author Topic: South Australia Paramedical Services Ambulance  (Read 34125 times)

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia Paramedical Services Ambulance
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2010, 12:35:41 PM »
I cannot believe the jealousy of the different services on the forum. As a newbie to this forum, just reading the comments I believe competition against SAAS is good as it may pull a few heads in and make the paras' improve their skill level and respect the other service providers. A bit of common courtesy goes a long, long way. I acknowledge that SAAS is the main  Emergency ambulance provider for the public of SA and they have the rightful place in society.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:50:02 AM by wjw »

360Joules

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2010, 04:26:56 PM »
 :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:07:19 PM by 360Joules »

Offline Andrew K

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2010, 09:52:49 PM »
Worked with several of the Frist Care Medical guys and girls at the down hill mount bike champs and all of them were great to work with, normally on scene within 60seconds of something happening (and this was in a quarry where they had to carry all their gear in and out), during that time they dealt with some nasty falls one guy had a broken back, broken ribs, dislocated hip and left shoulder, fractured right wrist and no issues there having them on site made our job a whole lot easier

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2010, 02:12:35 AM »
So how will all these other companies affect SAAS? Will it make it harder for people to be employed by SAAS?
Check out the Australian Healthcare Forums: http://aushealth.forumup.com.au/

360Joules

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:07:35 PM by 360Joules »

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 11:41:09 PM »
If you read the Health Care Act 2009 properly, they will be issued with a temporary Restricted Non-Emergency Ambulance Licence which may be review 6 - 12 monthly (I think). The closest to a diploma I have is from the Ambulance Service in NT and that is equivalent to Cert 4 BEC. All I had to do was complete another 12 Modules to get the Diploma.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:52:52 AM by wjw »

360Joules

« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2010, 03:12:04 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:07:50 PM by 360Joules »

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
Is there a more up to date Gazette?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 08:54:30 AM by wjw »

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2010, 08:00:29 PM »
Unfortunately almost all of the aforementioned assumptions about Paramedical Services SA are incorrect.  I share the concerns of 360Joules about private ambulance operations in South Australia, previous endeavors do nothing but tarnish new entrants who aim to provide the best possible service. 

NB.  Paramedical Services are in fact the only private ambulance service with a current license from the SA Health Department.

360Joules

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2010, 09:38:09 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:08:14 PM by 360Joules »

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2010, 06:00:36 PM »

360Joules, I would be glad to set it straight.

Paramedical Services is not my company, although I am admittedly an employee.  As the website shows, Garry Mikhail is the managing director.  Without divulging the operational status of Paramedical Services SA (PMS-SA), I can give some background to the operation in NSW and the expected performance of PMS-SA in the future.

PMS provides Pre-hospital care at a number of levels and in many and varied locations.  As the first Private ambulance service to provide medical care to the motor sport industry, Bathurst 1000 etc., PMS has a high reputation for an excellent level of care and preparation at events the state over.  We also participate in TV shoots, Work injury response (WIRS), and are a large RTO in the Sydney Metro and NSW area.

The training at PMS could be described as second to none in the private sector.  With a former NSWAS, IC para & S.C.A.T paramedic & University lecturer as MD, and others training of NREMT-P instructor standard, there is no shortage of skill.

What many are alluding to on this forum, is the variability in standards of private ambulance providers.  I like the constructive criticism illustrated thus far, including the aforementioned court case of Paramedical V. NSW Ambulance Service (NSWAS).  My 'personal' feelings are that the level of care provided (high), is the impetus for NSWAS having issues with PMS.  The fear of loss of work, when in fact we try to act along side, and in best conjunction with the service.

Personally, we have had no such issues with SAAS.  I think they realise we are not here to steal their thunder, but work professionally and fluidly amongst them.  I have been impressed with their (SAAS's) interest and genuine appreciation for our work thus far.  PMS-SA does not have an emergency ambulance license, and works to all of the extensive standards imposed by SA Health.

I anticipate the company will have something to say to the forum, but until then, regard my comments as my personal opinion only.

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2010, 06:11:43 PM »
PMS pays rates and conditions based on the award.  Staff are trained, and retested on an ongoing basis to the highest of standards. 

I will leave it up to the readers of this forum to spot the PMS-SA ambulances and they will note that we are well equipped and completely capable.

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
which award would that be?

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2010, 09:36:22 PM »
I have yet to see these PMS-SA vehicles around, although I suppose I will see them soon enough at the RAH.

I did know that a degree was needed to get into SAAS, I am starting uni this year with the hope of getting into the BHS(P) next year. I assumed the increase of private services meant less demand on SAAS and hence will mean less staff, but only in the PTS/ATS role.

Offline medic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2010, 07:56:24 AM »
I dont understand why there is such a big hassle with the non emerg ambulance companies. As long as they know the legal boundries and are prepared to cooperate with SAAS if a pt deteriates to an emerg condition then the state of SA communities will have the benefit of capable pt transport :-D. All people should learn to get along we are all striving to have the same result patient care and the willing help the ill  :-D

360Joules

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2010, 11:09:55 AM »
Ahh Medic if it was only that easy!!!!. As you can see some of these companies are OK  :-)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:08:41 PM by 360Joules »

Offline medic

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2010, 12:56:17 PM »
I did not realise that there was so many operaters in the field. The only ones I Know are IMS ans Para Services. I agree that the shonky ones should be shut down and that the pt and public should safe from neglect. If you know any that I may be able to see about employment could you please email me as I a a student trying to get into the profession.I know this is probably asking a lot. Ta :-D

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2010, 01:00:36 PM »
360, you must be a station officer...smarter than the average bear

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2010, 02:22:27 PM »
I probably know you joules! I'm sure if I saw your face I'd recognise you :).

Still yet to see any of these other companies around.

360Joules

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2010, 08:54:08 AM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:09:05 PM by 360Joules »

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »
My mate was a PTS officer until he got into the RSD Program, good timing possibly??  :-D
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 09:22:12 PM »
Spoke to my PSM the other night.

They said that a big player in PTS in Victoria has made an application with SA health to run a PTS company in SA. Medical Transport Services http://www.medicaltransport.com.au/  they are owned by GS4 (previously known as GSL/Group 4 a international company) http://www.au.g4s.com/

My manager says they are waiting for the final health nod to start running. They have vehicles and premises already in Adelaide somewhere ready to go.

I had a look at their website and the G4S website and they appear to do PTS across the UK in addition to little old Victoria. They have taken PTS off many UK ambulance services, that should keep our CEO happy! :roll:.

It appears they use new vehicles and employ staff with appropriate qualifications (in fact some higher levels than SAAS PTS/ATS staff :|).

It appears they do event standby work also.

Remains to be seen if they can run a ethical business and provide quality care, I guess time will tell.

If I was a SAAS PTS officer I would be just a little worried about my future.

Also, G4S is the company that provides the guards for Mt Gambier Prison and handle the prisoner movement and in court management. They are the guards you see sitting out the front of prisoner's rooms at the RAH (unless they are High 1 level prisoners).

360Joules

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 07:13:29 PM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:09:29 PM by 360Joules »

anything