Author Topic: Apollo Gold Pagers.  (Read 118115 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Apollo Gold Pagers.
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2010, 11:23:00 AM »
Reading the infralog it seems there should be more than the one tone available as message tone?

My pager doesnt give you the option to chaneg the tone... onyl lets you choose between beep or vibrate options?

Is anyone elses differant?

The ones I have seen are the same Alex.  They only have beep or vibrate.  Althought the beep tones can be set different, like four quick beeps, one long beep repeated.  Albeit, they are only beeps not really different tones.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
Hmmm i cant change the beep tones on mine... could be just me though.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 12:14:46 PM »
Maybe yours was one of the very first originals.  I think there have been two more buyins since then and maybe each lot has been slightly altered with programming etc. :?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 03:22:44 PM »
ahhh figures

Offline frosty

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »
well from what i have seen, we where lucky sent 2 pagers away got one oldy back and one OMG there ugly one vibrate is the only good thing on them.  well worked out well used it a threat to the other guys dont brake your old ones cas u will get theas ones

rescue5271

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:11 AM »
So has anyone found any other real problems with them?? We have found the tone fade's,Does not work in fire stations/shed that are make of iron .....

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
The original Toshiba battery supplied with mine is still going since April, but the response tone seems to be the bone of contention with a lot of members.
Images are copyright

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2010, 10:22:15 AM »
you talking about the siren wail tone Jeff? that has been changed on later ones.
And Bill they work fine in my brigade station (tin shed) where mobile phones die about 6 feet inside the doors.

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »
It appears if any Brigades have new spare Samsung pagers in store that could be reprogrammed to take the pressure off the supply of Apollo's (and the fact no one wants a brick hanging from their hip) forget it.  They won't reprogram Samsung pagers, only issue new Apollo's.

Aaarrrggggghhhhhhhhh.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2010, 01:45:47 PM »
That is interesting, I just sent a Samsung off last week for re-programming (after it came back from repair with an address missing). I will let you know if they re-program the Samsung or replace it with an Apollo.

rescue5271

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2010, 02:10:52 PM »
Got my group pager back (Apollo) and it now has a tone that is worse than the tone(siren) I had before sad part is we can not change the tone at all...

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2010, 02:31:34 PM »
That is interesting, I just sent a Samsung off last week for re-programming (after it came back from repair with an address missing). I will let you know if they re-program the Samsung or replace it with an Apollo.

Would much rather use the Samsungs we have sitting in the cupboard doing nothing.  But the word from Region is they will only supply Apollo's.

Thanks Matt.  Would be very interested to know.
Waiting with anticipation :-D

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2010, 11:13:43 AM »
Sent a Samsung off for repair a few months ago, it had a few extra addresses programmed in it, so on the repair sheet I made a big bold note for them to make sure that whatever pager came back was programmed with the extra addresses.

I got a replacement Apollo back yesterday without the extra addresses in it.

I really wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to understand the fairly clear instructions included on the sheet.

More of my time now wasted sending it back again, given recent examples I don't think we will have it back before Xmas now.

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2010, 02:47:42 PM »
I had a similar experience as mattb - sent of a perfectly good Samsung with a request for reprogramming only, got a banana Apollo back (actually I don't mind the yellow) with only the original codes on it.

Took two more goes before all programming was completed correctly!!!!!

My understanding is that the repair/programming for the Apollo's is under a different contract to the Samsungs and therefore to save money, the support contract for Samsungs has been terminated to save having two contacts running simultaneously.

Therefore, unless you can find someone on staff who has the skills and equipment to reprogram the Samsungs, you will not get them back no matter what.......
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2010, 07:05:45 PM »
Sent a Samsung off for repair a few months ago, it had a few extra addresses programmed in it, so on the repair sheet I made a big bold note for them to make sure that whatever pager came back was programmed with the extra addresses.

I got a replacement Apollo back yesterday without the extra addresses in it.

I really wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to understand the fairly clear instructions included on the sheet.

More of my time now wasted sending it back again, given recent examples I don't think we will have it back before Xmas now.

I hear your frustration Matt, I sent a Samsung pager off in March 2008, it ended up in Region 3 then 4, and then back to Region 1 where it was lost and replaced with my new Yellow one in April this year :evil:

Not to mention the one I sent off for repair and came back with Stirling's response address in it....the member was wondering why noone else turned up for the call :-o
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:10:09 PM by SA Firey »
Images are copyright

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »
Big shout out for anyone who can program Samsung SFA-170 pagers, your help would be muchly appreciated. :-P
Damn you Apollo when there are plenty of perfectly good Samsungs still out there.

Offline OldOne

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • Long time SES member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2010, 12:07:35 PM »
Big shout out for anyone who can program Samsung SFA-170 pagers, your help would be muchly appreciated. :-P

The problem is getting the programming software, I have been hunting for 5 years with no luck as its not a commonly used pager, the hardware interface is easy to do. 

The new CFS and SES pagers are no real problem, the software is out there and the hardware can be got from the USA.
SES Communications trainer

Offline 561

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2010, 01:09:11 PM »
The 3 of us that came across from Burra MFS to CFS got issued nice new Apollos last week - thought the beep tones where quite loud enough and when combined with the vibrate mode gained plenty of attention.

Then we started getting pages for Victor Habour Ops as well.....woops! Back they go!
They had a dig around the cupboard and we now have old Samsungs till they get our Apollo's sorted.

Yet to get a firm idea of the Apollos sensitivity compare to the Samsung or my old SAMFS XStream pager - i dont think its quite as good as the XStream.

Keen to get a few calls while I'm at work to see how the Apollo does as SAMFS had to issue me with an Alpha II terminal so I could get reliable paging.

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2010, 11:27:42 AM »
lol. damn they must of ran out of yellow ones ive got a black one.
Main critism about them is that they are huge! compared to the old grn pagers.

Backlight 4/5
Memory 2/5
Volume 3/5
ability to actually decode pager messages 3/5 (messes up sometimes and diplays hashed out charachters instead of actual ones)

All and all its better then no pager at all....
hahahaha that 24 is a classic.....

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2010, 01:59:46 PM »
the black ones are the newer ones and are "meant" to be better than the yellow ones
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 18, 2010, 02:57:05 PM »
the black ones are the newer ones and are "meant" to be better than the yellow ones

Not sure about "better", but they are programmed with additional features.

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2010, 03:21:32 PM »
haha thats why i said "meant"  :-P  i am hanging on to my samsung for as long as i can
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 18, 2010, 05:10:37 PM »
wasnt given the option as they didnt have any samsung ones left oh well.
its not all that bad atleast you know youv got it on your belt or clipped in your pocket.... just dont keep them close to your bluetooth enabled phone or it will mess up some of the messages.
hahahaha that 24 is a classic.....

Offline ufo8mycow

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2010, 10:12:06 PM »

The problem is getting the programming software, I have been hunting for 5 years with no luck as its not a commonly used pager, the hardware interface is easy to do. 

The new CFS and SES pagers are no real problem, the software is out there and the hardware can be got from the USA.

The hardware and software is actually available in Australia, yet the software does have some pin codes and it is specially designed for CFS. Just not anyone can just use any old software from the states. 

I am however able to program Samsung Pagers and the Apollo Pagers.  There is actually a few features in the programming side to play around with the tone settings.

I have seen a couple of pagers now incorrectly setup in regarding to how long the tone goes off as this is adjustable in the pager.  They should be set to continuous.

pumprescue

« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2010, 11:41:41 PM »
Any idea how to get the reminder tone to actually stay off, I have set mine to off and it still goes off on reminder tone.