Author Topic: Workcare Ambulance Service looking for Ambulance Officers  (Read 16548 times)

Offline ExStjohn

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Workcare Ambulance Service looking for Ambulance Officers
« on: May 04, 2009, 01:42:18 PM »
Hi all

came across this advert of seek.com.au 

http://www.seek.com.au/users/apply/index.ascx?Sequence=9&PageNumber=1&JobID=15287756

Workcare SA are seeking Cert IV Ambulance Officers and Paramedics for its new Non Emergency patient Transport/Ambulance Service. I rang them today and they are offering $40 - $60K depending on experience. Apparently they have won several contracts with private hospitals in Adelaide.

Was thinking of applying for a job once I get my cert IV (as a SAAS volly, currently doing Cert II). Does any one know anything about them? the money sounds good.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Workcare Ambulance Service looking for Ambulance Officers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 12:08:35 AM »
private ambulance services will be popping up everywhere in SA shortly with the changes to the health care act (which repeals the ambulance act) so there will be plenty of jobs in the future.

these companies will give a lot of people with certs in BEC job opportunities - the only suggestion I would make is that you do your homework on the company before you sign any contracts.....and yes I am referring specifically to the aforementioned company!  The owner is more unscrupulous than Rene Rivkin.....and look what happened to him! 

Also - note that at the present time there is no industrial association for private ambulance companies.  The AEA is specifically for SAAS employees at present so the only recourse you would have is your own through a civil claim.....or your own 12 gauge and knuckle dusters.......

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 01:45:00 AM »
so did you apply for a job with this company?

Since July 1 - all their cars have disappeared off the road....

and the rumour mill has is that this company is struggling to stay in business....don't know why - dodgy and shonky business acumen perhaps???

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 08:54:04 PM »
so did you apply for a job with this company?

Since July 1 - all their cars have disappeared off the road....

and the rumour mill has is that this company is struggling to stay in business....don't know why - dodgy and shonky business acumen perhaps???

maybe that and 11 or so of the previous charges they faced being reinstated?

Offline PeterPefect

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 10:52:49 AM »
http://www.seek.com.au/job/industrial-medic/adelaide/15941488/74/1/

these arent the same guys under a different name are they???? hey $52K + penalities isnt bad money ???

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 11:18:42 AM »
Interestingly I think this maybe a look into the future. I was asked by my employer for assistance in finding out "what is best practice in first aid?". Apparently a study of recent incidents at our 37 sites indicated that our current practice of using onsite trained employees to deliver FA wasn't delivering the results that were required:- either a)under diagnosing the problem, b) over-reacting & hospitalising everything or c) do nothing (run away & hide). So maybe other employers are doing the same thing & deciding to "out source", I note on their web page the following statement "Our clients enjoy significant reductions in lost time injury (LTI), improved injury management performance, extraordinary dollar savings in direct claims expenditure and a reduction in long term claims through our pro-active on-site and medical management. This would grab any managers attention :wink: as reduced premiums/LTI rates is what we get measured on. By the way I would be interested in anyones thoughts on Best practice First aid including things like training, is their a special type of person, should it be out sourced etc. No idea too wild your thoughts would be appreciated.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Firemedic

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
Chook it would depend on what your company wants and if you have 37 sites i would go down the path of getting staff on site trained up to an Industrial Medic level so that they can respond to any incident/injury. There are a few good training providers out there at the moment that do provide that sort of medic training.But like i said it will depend on how your company would like to go.   

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »
Yep thanks mate - not saying it will be 37 in the future though :wink: I've just been asked to provide some ideas/ viewpoints etc. But your idea is a valid one - some of our sites are metro area, with a few in rural locations (which would make it harder to use external providers). Some are large (200+) while others are small (70) scattered across 6 states & the ACT. So I think higher trained individuals at site level maybe the go (havn't heard of industrial medics before). Thanks again for you reply.
cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline Firemedic

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 03:03:48 PM »
You complete a Cert IV course in Basic Emergency Care which is a 2 week course  place 2 months of pre study. There are about 4 companies in Australia that i know of that do this course and it is a public safety qualification that can be used anywhere in the world. This type of course is mainly used in the mining industry. SAAS do a similar course for the private industry and their Ambo vollies.

Offline PeterPefect

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »
Theres a company in SA  First Care Medical www.firstcaremedical.com.au  who are teaching the Ambulance Cert II and Ambulance Cert IV courses in addtion to first aid

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2009, 06:42:59 AM »
Thanks guys useful info cheers
Ken
just another retard!

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 10:46:18 PM »
ahhhh good work Boredy....lool

IMS huh?....has a familiar ring to it.....i hear a whisper it might be associated with a former company in the same field....just run by a few of the former workers, without their old boss now......still....wonder how far the fruit falls from the tree. If anyone is thinking of working for them....I'd be doing ya homework pretty well....

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 11:13:51 PM »
how far fruit falls from the tree - LOL  - I like it!

couple of guys at work were making comment about the guys who are running IMS...I think you could be on the money!

I spoke to one guy who applied for a casual job - the phone conversation consisted of IMS just bagging any and all opposition - and when he got off the phone he realised that IMS hadn't actually told him how their company worked at all!!

Offline IMS2009

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
Boredy & CrashnDash, I just wanted to set the record straight:-

IMS is not associated in any way with WorkCare or the former employer.  I can assure you that the IMS directors (of which I am one) have a very different approach to business. 

The "couple of guys" you refer to in your posting are well known to me and are somewhat in competition (a private company). As existing SAAS Paramedics / ICP's, I would also assume they may be dismissive of IMS as a new company operating in the non-emergency field.  Personally, I like them. Professionally though, we have to protect our client and business base.

Finally, the "guy" seeking a "casual job" was not a genuine applicant and I had the distinct feeling he was fishing.  The conversation did involve me asking the direct questions if he was affiliated or associated with any other companies (due to protection of IP and client information) .... there was no "bagging" of any parties as suggested in your post.  If he came away with a feeling of having little information ... he would have been correct!!  If he had taken the time to read the job advertisement in full and looked at the website www.industrialmedics.com.au he could have figured it out pretty easily.

Boredy... I have read your work for years and you clearly keep a finger on the pulse with SAAS, Private Ambulance and related issues. All I ask is before posting materials that lead people in your forum(s)to make inaccurate judgements, please check the facts and make sure anything you have to say is first hand. 

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18:50 AM »
fair call- on the one hand i can understand your need to protect your company's name- but you must admit that the previous operator of such a service didn't exactly leave the private sector industrial or occupational health services with a glowing exterior- hence i'm sure you can understand the cynicism of a public sector health worker. (yes I know- we all think our faeces doesn't stink either....)

On the other hand- i have no reason not to believe a former colleague either if the experience he recieved was percieved as such! 

Yes- there is a place for the private sector- what worries me as a public employee who is very accountable for my actions is that of a lack of regulation.....(again- my cynicism) and those who will capitalise (sic) on that for their own gain.

Putting dollars before patient care is a very real danger in the private sector without real regulation and licencing!

Good luck with your company - if you're doing it right - your reputation will precede you (adelaide isn't exactly a big town!) and as such you'll find yourself not needing to publicly defend yourself on forums such as this!

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 08:19:59 AM »
precisely Boredy... and I have heard of similar experiences from another person who enquired who was not previously employed by SAAS

Openness and a willing to be absolutely transparent to everyone, even your competitors is what will count in your favour moving forward. Secrets, being seen to add to the rumour-mongering and the requirements for confidentiality agreements only breed distrust.

Out and proud......

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 01:57:14 PM »

Out and proud......

The things you learn on this site....shakeshead.....baaaahhhaaaaaaahha .haa.. ha.h.......sorry :roll:
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »
mm...interesting

the "couple of guys"  (apparently thats how I need to refer to them!) from work that were making comments are ex-WorkCare employees and are now firmly entrenched in the public service and have no involvement with any private company.  Lucky I asked them - Wouldn't want to be getting my facts wrong......

Offline PeterPefect

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »
My uncle works for an ambulance builder interstate and he said a Adelaide company (dont know which one) has won a major patient transport contract in Adelaide and is looking for vehicles.. might be one of the above metnioned companies or maybe someone else is new in the game. Lets wait for private fire services??? :lol:

Offline PeterPefect

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 05:49:19 PM »
Saw an Industrial Medic Serviices car today (at Prospect) looks like an ex- SAPOL car (has the same rims).. the yellow bar light on top and the american blue paramedic star on the door looks a bit wanky and ambulance wanna be to me? but hey opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one !

360Joules

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 09:10:23 PM »
 :-)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:16:08 PM by 360Joules »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:57 PM »
....Maybe it will be MFS guys setting up private fire services for industry and events next?

Hmmm, every time I attend a building fire warden course refresher...it is run by a person who states they work for MFS and are doing this as their second job...so I think the above happened years ago.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2010, 11:40:21 PM »
I just read this thread.  I find it amusing that, although the posts are old, they are misleading to say the least.  The comment by IMS2009 that they are in no way affiliated with 'Workcare' is hilarious.  I am lead to believe the previous operations manager for Workcare now runs IMS...does that say a lot for the company?

Offline 2468

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 09:11:33 AM »
....Maybe it will be MFS guys setting up private fire services for industry and events next?

Hmmm, every time I attend a building fire warden course refresher...it is run by a person who states they work for MFS and are doing this as their second job...so I think the above happened years ago.

I have heard rumblings that the fire industry are going to tell the fire service to keep their full timers out of the private industry. As many of the full timers that work in the private industry are just making themselves and then the SAMFS look bad. That and the private industry apparently doesn't see why it should struggle through, then have the part timers come in bargain basement and ruin it for everyone.

anything