Author Topic: CFS Facebook page  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFS Facebook page
« on: July 02, 2010, 06:37:11 PM »
I recently stumbled across the CFA facebook page. I was shocked to see 67,000 people have joined the page. and it was full of conversations,questions and posts both from CFA volunteers and general public. Now in this day and age of Facebook and so on wouldnt it be beneficial for some one in CFS to use this sort of tool for information and discussion to be put out into the wider South Australian Community. Ie Facebook is a easy way for people to ask questions they dont know answers to without feeling like an idiot!

Just my thoughts

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: CFS Facebook page
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:03:06 PM »
As long as no one was tempted to post on Facebook that a going fire incident had occurred. Rather than telephone 000. Then expect a fast response to the Facebook entry......

I did hear some kids trapped in a drain that had potential to flood & they asked for help on a internet site from their mobile web phone. Rather than telephone call for help.

Also, how would you ensure that accurate information was going back to the general puiblic's question, rather than a persons opinion.

Get them to use email questions to CFS.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:12:02 PM »
with out knowing the ins and outs of the CFA one it appears to me that a staff member in pheraps community ed or public relations is running it. judging by the amount of use its having it seems to be a winner!  anyone with facebook search it up!

rescue5271

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 07:57:52 AM »
CFS would not have the time,money or staff to set this up...CFA do have a lot of other good tools that they use to inform volunteers and staff CFA Tv is one and there are newsletters/emails that get sent out. CFA also get a better budget than CFS to do media/communications to its Volunteers...

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:15:31 PM »
Someone has started a CFS Facebook page.  It has been around for some time now.  Also Region 2 have their own page, along with several other Brigades.

Offline Bagyassfirey

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 06:07:38 PM »
Region 2 page is pretty good...maybe every region should adopt this. If you look at the CFA one it is reasonably professional. Just seems the way everyone is communicating these days. 

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 04:48:38 PM »
CFS would not have the time,money or staff to set this up...
A facebook page takes less than 10 minutes to set up, is completely free, and only needs minimal time from a single staffer to maintain, so those excuses just don't cut it.

Someone has started a CFS Facebook page.

Facebook recently did a cunning change to it's fan/like system that allows users to 'like' any page on the internet, without it needing to be set up as a 'Facebook page' first.  As part of that, they added all (or most) Wikipedia's articles to their search system, so you can search for keywords and 'like' a Wikipedia article from within Facebook.  The Country Fire Service page that comes up in Facebook is just one of these Wikipedia articles, and not a Facebook page.

anything