Author Topic: Recruitment 2010  (Read 60236 times)

Offline Citizen

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Recruitment 2010
« Reply #100 on: August 17, 2010, 02:35:32 PM »
Sorry citizen, bad luck there is always another time, how many times you applied? also Gasman how many time u applied? also citizen did u do the PAT2 and get all your uniforms measured up?

Howdy, this was my third time but honestly the first where I had everything in order (HR licence, paperwork etc).
Yeah I passed the PAT2 in June and had the uniform fitting and medicals. Kind of got my hopes up when they measured me up thinking that I must be close for that to happen!
Not to worry I just need to nail the interview next time and not be so far down the cab rank.

Monger

« Reply #101 on: August 17, 2010, 02:56:31 PM »
I think the SAMFS needs to overhaul their recruitment process, its crap the way applicants are treated. Just because there is way more applicants than positions doesnt make it right to keep people in the dark about what is happening and to have people fitted for uniforms after passing all the requirements and then not giving them jobs is bulls#$t. The top applicants are not always taken as the MFS must represent the diversity of the community eg: male/female/minority groups etc

Subi

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2010, 10:58:04 PM »
last monday was the day most people got notified, i got my call at 10am ish.

Last week.. eek! I wonder if that means im out. Wait and see  :|

Call Mara, she'll have the answer.  no point wondering!!!  My squad had mail lost, and he didnt get his letter until 2 weeks before start day

T

Just made a phonecall. Everyone has been notified already so it looks like im out. Gutted!

Jeez, that sucks fella - keep on trying, you'll get there

Offline crossy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2010, 07:29:15 PM »
hey everyone! gearing up to go for my first attempt whenever the next recruitment is and was after any info on interviews they do, or anything i should practice or focus on :? also does anybody have a website or number for computer courses mfs approved?
cheers crossy
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2010, 10:17:14 PM »
Tick boxes, jump through the hoops, play the game.

Don't try to outthink the process

Don't think that if you don't meet the criteria you'll get in

Treat the job with the respect it deserves, eg:

Don't be late

Dress up for the interview

Be polite

Don't screw them around

Don't create extra work for them

Why should they hire YOU? What can you offer that the other 10,00 people CAN'T?

Remeber OH&S during the PAT

At the end of the day, they owe you nothing, they don't owe you a job. You've gotta get out there and put the effort in to get the result you want.

Or, send bribes.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Monger

« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2010, 07:15:46 AM »
hey everyone! gearing up to go for my first attempt whenever the next recruitment is and was after any info on interviews they do, or anything i should practice or focus on :? also does anybody have a website or number for computer courses mfs approved?
cheers crossy

I did my computer testing with Westaff in the city, it was back in 2008 and it met the SAMFS requirements then, not sure if it has changed. As far as preperation for the process goes i would just make sure everything required is in order when you first apply eg, HR truck license, senior first aid and computer skills. If in doubt ring the SAMFS HR department and ask. They are very strict in the initial processes eg, leave birth certificate at home or any other info then you will be removed from the process. Also if you can get your hands on any examples of pyschometric testing or aptitude tests then i would practise a few of those. Also being involved in a volunteer capacity can help eg. lifesaving club, coaching a footy team, church group etc. The interview format changes a bit each year due to the fact that it may take people a few attempts at applying. But have answers and examples to the questions on the website about "Is the SAMFS for me?'
Goodluck, keep trying, but dont put your life on hold waiting to get in cos it can take a few attempts

Offline crossy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2010, 10:53:14 PM »
start doing my unrestricted hr licence on sat and the mfs website still says microsoft word 2003 so guessing the standards wouldnt have changed yet? as far as the volunteering been in cfs since 2002 and help run cadet activites currently.
and numbers as soon as the lottery sends me the winning ticket ill start sending the bribes  :-D

thanks guys that gives me a great starting point!
cheers!
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......