General Discussion > SASES

River Murray flood in Vic, will it reach the mouth ?

(1/6) > >>

bajdas:
I was reading about the current Flood situation in Victoria and found the following website that details current Murray River heights & flow rates. http://www.mdba.gov.au/water/live-river-data

Given that they released some water from Menindee Lakes into SA, Menindee is currently at 94% full and Lake Victoria is at 73% full....will the Victorian flood waters that is near Echuca, reach the Murray mouth ?

The latest report from Vic SES is stating

"....Echuca / Moama - reach 94 metres (AHD) around 15/9/10 with moderate rural
                 flooding - note river levels will be close to the peak
                 for several days before the maximum level is recorded...."

But more rain is forcast in the catchement area.

Personally I think multiple lagoons, Lake Bonney, etc, etc will absorb the water before it reaches the Mouth. Hopefully it will mean a lift of the irrigation restrictions for the farmers along the river.

What do others think ?

Darren:
I sincerly hope so, need to clear out the murray and restore some water reserves

Alan (Big Al):
yeah and fix up the mulloway fishing down here  :-D

chook:
Guys, the good news is that the rivers that flow thru to the Murray are in minor flood Murrumbidgee, Lachlan etc. The storages for the Murrumbidgee are at or over 80% full, there is more rain on the way & the snows (the best in many years) have not melted yet. This end of the system is saturated, so all rain that falls is run off (even the bike path I ride to work on is covered with water). Creeks are flowing that haven't for years. They are even talking about re-activating some of the plants that were closed because of the drought. So all up I think they could be right - the Murray will start flowing out the the sea again. I just hope that they don't stop planning for the next drought. Its so good to see the country re-juvinated again & the people around here so happy. Just wish the grass would stop growing :wink:
cheers

gasman:
I'm all for more mulloway !!!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version