Author Topic: South Australia's billion dollar Budget cuts leaked to media  (Read 13170 times)

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia's billion dollar Budget cuts leaked to media
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2010, 06:50:05 PM »
I would also expect that, in general, a staff car would do far more km's than a command car as they are in use every day (5-ish days a week anyway) and most command cars would average out at probably less than an hours use a week??

Therefore makes sense for staff cars to continue to be leased.

If they are like us at DTEI, staff cars now changed at approx 60k with light commercials at 100k although leases can be taken out for longer/higher km's if required.
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 08:01:44 PM »
I understand that it has a lot do with the fit out cost......putting some striping on a car, and installing a GRN radio & mobile phone car kit in a staff car is not going to be particularly expensive exercise....but putting several radios into a command car, lights & sirens, mobile phone car kit, second battery to run all the extras, and striping, for vehicles that tend to have a lower than average milage is a more expensive exercise.

Add to that the penalties imposed by state fleet for failing to have the vehicle serviced on time...and I believe penalties for failing to submit the speedo reading of each vehicle at regular specified intervals, makes purchasing those vehicles a cheaper option!

And remember, CFS was forced into leasing from state fleet by Govt policy, not by choice...

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Darren

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2010, 10:37:08 PM »
You would have noticed in the past that most group cars were at least 10 years old when replaced, in the last few years our group has had a new command car at least every 2-3 years, apart from the one we bought ourselves.

I heard that it was stupidly expensive to lease them, the amount paid them off in less than 3 years yet you still had a pay out figure if you wanted to keep them.

A good move.

Offline oz fire

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
The leaked document were items put up by CFS to government as cost saving ideas ... knowing full well that Government would not accept them!
Got to love how items are leaked, the media picks up on it and then the gullible public and members of this forum fall for it all.
GREAT Political action though .... bought the government a few more months
Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Darren

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 07:19:14 PM »
I wonder if Kevin Foley has had a bulk purchase of USB sticks lately?