Author Topic: Incident Stats  (Read 21427 times)

Offline mengcfs

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Incident Stats
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
...and yes just because you send a report in does not mean it meets any criteria for a firecall hence why your numbers may be lower.

What criteria do you need to fulfill to make it a firecall?  Surely an appliance leaving the station to deal with an incident (regardless of what it is) would be considered a call?

Criteria is simple. A page from Adelaide Fire (regardless of what it is for) that is logged in CRIIMSON.

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 11:44:25 AM »
...and yes just because you send a report in does not mean it meets any criteria for a firecall hence why your numbers may be lower.

What criteria do you need to fulfill to make it a firecall?  Surely an appliance leaving the station to deal with an incident (regardless of what it is) would be considered a call?

Criteria is simple. A page from Adelaide Fire (regardless of what it is for) that is logged in CRIIMSON.

Not really. Not all jobs go through Adelaide Fire anyway; ie local alarms monitored by brigades [still reasonably common], incidents come across and dealt with locally, etc. To be honest i would say CFS HQ have no right to refuse any occurence of a fire truck and crew attending any 'emergency' be classified a firecall. And as far as i know they dont, unless some operators just do there own thing...

Although unless there is specific damage to a premises that a report is needed for residents insurance, i do disagree with multiple reports being submitted for every single tree down during a storm event. As some do this to bolster there numbers nearing end of financial year [no im not joking]. I even know of reports being entered for minor jobs that never happened in the first place to bolster stats.

Offline safireservice

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 12:02:31 PM »
What if those 30 odd calls were from Adelaide fire? and not just the brigade going out looking for them?
Treat everyone as if they are an idiot, until they prove you otherwise.

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 08:11:55 PM »
Any jobs that you attend will show up on your TAS, which you can check through the CFS website members section.

So if you went to a job and it isn't on your TAS list then it hasn't been entered into the system (and there could be lots of reasons why it hasn't happened).

Offline vsteve01

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2010, 08:52:27 PM »
Any jobs that you attend will show up on your TAS, which you can check through the CFS website members section.

So if you went to a job and it isn't on your TAS list then it hasn't been entered into the system (and there could be lots of reasons why it hasn't happened).

Or it's been listed to someone else. 

a couple calls earlier this year have most of our 70yr+ support members as attending :D 

If paperwork isn't being received, is incomplete, unreadable or wrong,  there should be a process to follow up with the brigade if there is missing reports so that it is accurate.  It's going to end up in court one day and hopefully the brigade has filed a copy of their own.  Thats assuming that they have done the report in the first place and haven't forgotten.

rescue5271

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2010, 07:50:47 AM »
If you talk to most RURAL brigades they tell you they dont fax the report but rather call it into the airs desk only problem is that you can not call the number from a mobile phone and this is one thing that CFS should look at changing so that members can call the number from a mobile phone...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2010, 12:59:39 PM »
So, I have a question. Are the CFS going to actually allow volunteers full access to AIRS to allow us to fill out AIRS reports correctly?

There are around 250 incident types, yet we are only able to input a handful with the current CFS template. There is the ability to place others codes in the report, but do CFS issue the entire AIRS reference document? No.

For example, take the three common MVA related 'incident types':

Vehicle Accident w/Injuries
Vehicle Accident Rescue
Vehicle Accident no injuries

Then throw their AIRS codes in next to them, and their correct definitions:

322 - Vehicle Accident w/Injuries
351 - Vehicle Accident w/Injuries and/or Exritcation of Victims
352 - Vehicle Accident no injuries

So we then find that not only is there no distinction between a vehicle accident with injuries and a vehcile accident w/extrication, but the CFS apprently go to a HEAP of EMS calls each year. Codes 300 - 329 being Medical/EMS calls.

Then we look at what is given by the Promo unit for a Brigade such a Morphett Vale.
Where do incident types such as "Rescue Road Crash" and "Rescue General" come from? Why are these separate and not defined under AIRS codes?

350 Extrication, rescue; insufficient information to classify further
351 Vehicle accident with injuries and/or Extrication of victim
352 Vehicle accident no injuries
353 Removal of victim(s) from stalled elevator/escalator
354 Defective elevator no occupants
355 Trench rescue
356 Confined space rescue
357 High angle and vertical rescue
358 Extrication of victim(s) from building
359 Extrication, rescue not classified above
360 Water and ice-related rescue; insufficient information to classify further
361 Drowning, near drowning
362 Ice rescue
363 Swift water rescue
364 Surf rescue
369 Water and ice-related rescue not classified above

Im pretty sure that the above AIRS codes cover pretty much any type of rescue/extrication.

Again, "Structure Domestic" and "Structure School" What are these? Where did they magically come from?

Aren't these incidents identified as one of the 30 odd Building fire codes, and then the type of building is further classified separate to the incident type?

How can the CFS expect to be able to collect data on the work we do when we A) Get no AIRS training and more worryingly, B) CFS use some half baked home-schooled version of AIRS?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2010, 05:21:27 PM »
These extra codes are created when the AirDesk staff when the report into AIIRS. Generally they will find the code that best matches the incident type.

I believe once the online AIIRS goes live brigades will have access to all of these codes.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:36 PM »
These extra codes are created when the AirDesk staff when the report into AIIRS. Generally they will find the code that best matches the incident type.

I believe once the online AIIRS goes live brigades will have access to all of these codes.

I'm confused though as they don't appear in AIRS... (we are talking about "Structure school" etc?)

Why are those on the AirDesk attempting to "Best fit" things into a system that allows you to put a stupid amount of accuracy into your fire report?

Are they even trained in how to input things into AIRS?

For example, AIRS allows you to differentiate between schools as such:

211 - Pre‐schools prior to formal education.  Centres for pre‐school education where children attend for 4 hours a day or less.        If attendance is over 4 hours a day, classify as child day­care centre (321) 
212 - Educational  property for 1st year of formal education 
213 - Educational property for primary grades of education 
214 - Educational property for secondary grades of education.  If solely for final years use 215 
215 - Educational property solely for senior years of secondary education 
219 - Non‐residential schools not classified above 
210 - Non‐residential schools; insufficient information available to classify further

Thats an amazing amount of detail to be provided, yet we have people making things up as they go along...

Inline with AFAC standards, SACFS is meant to be collecting, at the very least, a Core Data Set:

http://knowledgeweb.afac.com.au/national_data__and__glossary/national_data_documents/FINAL_CORE_DATAB_Dec06.pdf

For anyone who can be bothered, there is an updated version of block A out, (16/06/10) that also manages to outline all the diffent building types and the like that are required to be entered in. Its only a short 166 pages, but does make a good read, and manages to highlight the Data that we are NOT collecting and perhaps should...

http://knowledgeweb.afac.com.au/national_data__and__glossary/national_data_documents/Block_A_All_Incidents_FINALA1_Jun10.pdf

In other news, I have no life and the personality of a wet mud brick :)

Happy reading!

(P.S. mattb, don't go getting your AIIMS mixed up with your AIRS)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 11:11:06 PM by 6739264 »

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2010, 11:56:25 AM »
Numbers, Structure School, Structure Domestic, Rescue General, Rescue Heights,Vehicle Accident, etc etc are generalised BOMS codes for dispatch.

You cant expect the dispatch system, and operators, to use the exact incident type [AIRS code] for this, as not only may it not be correct, but thats a hell of a lot of codes to remember.

BOMS codes then go straght into AIRS to create an IIR {initial incident report] and the codes only change if/when a report is submitted by the primary brigade.

Hope that clarifies that for you.

Re; AIRS acess for brigades, there was talk of it some time ago [around 3.5 years ago] and a number of  CFS stations had there name down to be a participant in the trial, but then i believe cost got in the way [online portals apparently being expensive, plus designing a dumbed down version].

Darren

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2010, 12:37:21 PM »
SACAD will fix everything.....

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2010, 09:37:18 PM »
SACAD will fix everything.....

ALL HAIL SACAD!!!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
In other news, I have no life and the personality of a wet mud brick :)

Numbers thats simply not true!!!!

A wet mud brick has way more personality than you.

[admin edit: fixed quoting]
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 09:25:23 AM by CFS_Firey »
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2010, 12:22:55 AM »
Numbers, Structure School, Structure Domestic, Rescue General, Rescue Heights,Vehicle Accident, etc etc are generalised BOMS codes for dispatch.

You cant expect the dispatch system, and operators, to use the exact incident type [AIRS code] for this, as not only may it not be correct, but thats a filtered of a lot of codes to remember.

BOMS codes then go straght into AIRS to create an IIR {initial incident report] and the codes only change if/when a report is submitted by the primary brigade.

Hope that clarifies that for you.

Re; AIRS acess for brigades, there was talk of it some time ago [around 3.5 years ago] and a number of  CFS stations had there name down to be a participant in the trial, but then i believe cost got in the way [online portals apparently being expensive, plus designing a dumbed down version].

I understand the difference between the AIRS incident type and generalised dispatch incident types, and in no way was I suggesting that we should have the AIRS incident listed on the pager...

Its just intersting to find the BOMS dispatch labels making their way into stats that I thought would have been all standardised to the AIRS format. I assume this occurs when no report is submitted thus the IIR does not change? How do these BOMS codes then line up with the AIRS codes? Do they track across correctly?

In no way, shape or form am I suggesting that anyone should know all the codes off the top of their heads, but there are these crazy things called computers. For example we have 40odd incident types in the Fire Report v4 template drop down box currently, is there any reason we do not have access to all of them? Why do we not have access to a simple list so that we can add in the correct details if we so desire?

It seems like an easy fix, not one that requires copious amounts of money for an online submission capability.

Meanwhile, I'm going back to memorising the AIRS manual... If you need any help with a fire report, just call me!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:24:53 AM by 6739264 »

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »
Its just intersting to find the BOMS dispatch labels making their way into stats that I thought would have been all standardised to the AIRS format. I assume this occurs when no report is submitted thus the IIR does not change?

How do these BOMS codes then line up with the AIRS codes? Do they track across correctly?

No. Along with all [or most, as the CFS designed version of AIRS, also used by MFS, does not contain most of those you listed...] the AFAC AIRS codes in the AIRS databasethere is a list of SAMFS BOMS Codes. All dispatches then transition to AIRS and keep there BOMS code until changes by either the CFS AirDesk to a generic code for CFS incidents, or the correct code on completion of a fire report for CFS or MFS.

Nothing stopping brigades from getting a list of incident type codes from CFS and then doing there own "situation found = xx, action taken = xx" in the information section of there fire report... would be nice if CFS updated the template and did a roll out though.

misterteddy

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 03:09:11 PM »
maybe they could install it in our nice new shiny second hand computers we are getting  :-D

rescue5271

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2010, 06:45:36 AM »
They wont do that as when you get your newish second hand PC it will have nothing in it so your group is going to go and spend money on it before you can get it to work.....

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2010, 09:12:56 AM »
They wont do that as when you get your newish second hand PC it will have nothing in it so your group is going to go and spend money on it before you can get it to work.....

Spend money on what?

rescue5271

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 08:46:21 AM »
Groups will have to buy ANTI VIRIOUS,Programs,internet access if you don't already have it and of course power to your shed if you don't have it....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 02:46:18 PM »
Groups will have to buy ANTI VIRIOUS,Programs,internet access if you don't already have it and of course power to your shed if you don't have it....

Could you invest in a learn English program? Also, can you provide me with an ANTI VIRIOUS,Programs?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2010, 03:09:29 PM »

Could you invest in a learn English program? Also, can you provide me with an ANTI VIRIOUS,Programs?

Picky, picky, picky.... Hopefully that is what the project manager will be organising.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2010, 04:19:48 PM »

Picky, picky, picky.... Hopefully that is what the project manager will be organising.

Hopefully the project manager will be installing one of the many excellent free anti-virus programs, rather than wasting money buying one...

rescue5271

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
We can only hope....

Offline drmz

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2010, 10:29:37 AM »
Are incident stats still used by CFS to determine the number/type of appliances a brigade should have?

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2010, 10:52:44 AM »
Yes, but No is the real answer

anything