Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 634487 times)

Monger

Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #100 on: March 17, 2011, 08:46:48 PM »
i think its a must for application and has to be upgraded to HR licence within a year of being accepted

Yeah you have to get MR before applications close or wont be accepted.

Offline robin14

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2011, 02:17:58 AM »
So how does the wage system work do you get a roster allowance or something cause I'm looking at the mfs wages on the ufu website and a 4th class firie is on 822 a week which isn't 55,000 a yr

Monger

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2011, 05:51:14 AM »
So how does the wage system work do you get a roster allowance or something cause I'm looking at the mfs wages on the ufu website and a 4th class firie is on 822 a week which isn't 55,000 a yr

Yeah there is shift allowances etc. It is actually closer to $60,000 now with the last EBA increase

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2011, 07:01:32 AM »
4th class is 59,800 p/a, all penalties are rolled in.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2011, 01:01:32 PM »
It concerns me that so many of the questions asked here in this thread are easily answered if you read the information that SAMFS provide on their website.

If you want to apply for a job, one would think that at the very least you would be well versed with the requirements?
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Tammey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2011, 04:19:00 PM »
Hi Guys, new to the forum but i've been reading the threads for a while.  Submitted my application last Sat but as i understand it it would be a few weeks yet before we hear back.....fingers crossed to everyone applying!
I need a bit of guidance if thats ok, I'm hoping to compete in an overseas cricket tournament with my club and the latest i can fly out is the 12th April.  As you can see that only gives me the option to take the bleep test on the Monday if i'm lucky enough to get through and if by some miracal I get a spot on that Monday.  I wasn't sure about approaching recruitment about this as I didn't want to do anything that would be detrimental to my application.  Getting into SAMFS is my priority, I haven't booked flights or anything yet but didn't know if there was any hope or if I should just tell my team now.  Do you think I could approach them? It would mean contacting them probably before I even find out if i've pasted the application stage.

wicky

« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2011, 06:54:14 PM »
thinking about it, at the moment i'm just geting over a knee injury so it makes the fitness for the beep test a bit hard

Know how you feel, did the last pat 1 four weeks after knee operation at the last intake. Only got to 7.2
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 07:16:59 PM by wicky »

flyonthewall

« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2011, 09:29:18 PM »
Every thing is pass/fail, if you can't do it - bad luck, no bending for anyone.

Offline Andrew K

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »
well aware of that i'm just holding off the application for as long as possible to see if i can manage it if not theres not a great deal of point putting it in.

Monger

« Reply #109 on: March 19, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »
Hi Guys, new to the forum but i've been reading the threads for a while.  Submitted my application last Sat but as i understand it it would be a few weeks yet before we hear back.....fingers crossed to everyone applying!
I need a bit of guidance if thats ok, I'm hoping to compete in an overseas cricket tournament with my club and the latest i can fly out is the 12th April.  As you can see that only gives me the option to take the bleep test on the Monday if i'm lucky enough to get through and if by some miracal I get a spot on that Monday.  I wasn't sure about approaching recruitment about this as I didn't want to do anything that would be detrimental to my application.  Getting into SAMFS is my priority, I haven't booked flights or anything yet but didn't know if there was any hope or if I should just tell my team now.  Do you think I could approach them? It would mean contacting them probably before I even find out if i've pasted the application stage.
Call Mara Potticary SAMFS Human resources and ask if its possible. Pretty sure everyone who meets the criteria eg. truck license, first aid etc passes the application stage

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2011, 09:05:17 AM »

Except PAT 2...

Monger

« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2011, 10:08:47 AM »

Except PAT 2...

And interview

Offline Tammey

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2011, 11:24:44 AM »
Call Mara Potticary SAMFS Human resources and ask if its possible. Pretty sure everyone who meets the criteria eg. truck license, first aid etc passes the application stage
[/quote]

Thanks for that, i will give her a ring Monday morning.

flyonthewall

« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2011, 06:43:24 PM »
Insert Quote
Quote from: 6739264 on Today at 09:05:17 AM
Quote from: flyonthewall on Yesterday at 09:29:18 PM

Except PAT 2...

And interview

You have misread my reply. As has been mentioned, some people seem to be asking questions that are answered on the SAMFS site!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 06:58:31 PM by flyonthewall »

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 19, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »
Insert Quote

Except PAT 2...

And interview

You have misread my reply. As has been mentioned, some people seem to be asking questions that are answered on the SAMFS site!

I'm really surprised that they let you re run the PAT 2. Anyone know why there is this leniency for PAT 2?

Monger

« Reply #115 on: March 19, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
Insert Quote

Except PAT 2...

And interview

Not sure why, but hardly anyone fails it anyway. You can watch the dvd of the testing and pretty much practise most of the tests in some form

I'm really surprised that they let you re run the PAT 2. Anyone know why there is this leniency for PAT 2?

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2011, 01:17:55 PM »
Hi guys -

I have been watching this forum for a few  months now and thought I would join in! I have applied for the first time and am doing everything I can to get in 'first go'. At age 25 I am hoping I am not seen as a tad too young! The main concern for me is the aptitude testing/personality profiling. Of course I have looked over and over the example one that is on the MFS website, however is anyone aware of more practice questions/how to prepare for this? Also from anyone's experience of the past, are you under extreme time pressure to get this testing done? (is it easy to run out of time)

After looking into the career for the last couple of years, visiting fire stations, speaking to people etc, it seems to me that even if I do not get in first go, persistence eventually pays off? Can anyone comment on that from their experiences.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2011, 02:12:32 PM »
as for the persistance thing, i will let you know if it pays off if i get in after attempt number five. Dont be too down on yourself if you dont get in, not a very high percentage of people get in first crack
I just want to help

Monger

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »
25 will not be seen as too young, plenty of guys around 22 getting in last couple of years because the MFS has realised by recruiting older guys for a long time the fire service now has an average age of about 50.
As far as the testing goes, from memory the times given for the aptitude tests are reasonably short so if you hesitate too much you can run out of time. They are designed to make you think quickly. The examples on the website are very basic, ones in test are slightly harder. If they use similar tests to a few years ago the mathematics involved practical questions eg: If you are driving to a fire 20 km from station and you are travelling at a constant speed of 80kmph, how long will it take to get there? And if you are using 100 litres of water a minute, how long will a 650 litre tank last?
It also involved writing a report on an incident so maybe look up some examples of that.They change the testing quite regularly so it isnt easier for repeat applicants.
Will be interesting to see how many applicants they get this year now that you only need MR truck license and computer skills certificate.

Offline crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
how many applicants would they get on average?
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

Monger

« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2011, 06:54:19 PM »
how many applicants would they get on average?

600+
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 06:28:02 AM by Ferret »

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2011, 08:46:47 PM »
Gasman - As this is your 5th time in applying, can you give anything away in terms of what your stumbling block has been? Therefore, have you made the interview each time and from there you have not gone further or was it the aptitude testing etc? I hope you make it through mate; sounds like your committment deserves it!

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 21, 2011, 11:56:07 AM »
i have been cab ranked before and i have been interviewed every time. The process changes slightly every time so any information i could give you could be completely wrong. i know i am not far from getting ranked again, just need to impress them a bit more at the interview i guess. You are only ranked based on the outcome of your interview supposedly so study up for it as you would your apptitude test
I just want to help

Offline BT085

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
Gasman - are calculators permitted in the aptitude test?

flyonthewall

« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2011, 10:02:58 PM »
Posted by: BT085 
Gasman - are calculators permitted in the aptitude test?

Are you serious?

anything