Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 631820 times)

Monger

Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #700 on: January 07, 2012, 09:43:41 AM »
Posted on: Yesterday at 08:17:55 PMPosted by: td 

Hi all, I was one of the candidates that came out of the last interview stage with one of the "Stay Fit" letters. I've been following this forum and have read that some people who initially received "Stay Fit" letters have since been called up for the next round of tests. I unfortunately didn't receive a call up but was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on where to go from here. Is it likely that there will be another calling from this group, or is it more likely that the standard application process will begin again? Having said that though I still haven't received any further notification yet to say that my application is no longer valid. Cheers

Sorry mate but it looks like youv'e missed out. Sounds like there will not be anymore drill squads and next recruitment will be a fresh intake.

The testing is only valid for 12 months(90% sure) so they can't keep u cab ranked for too long. They pretty much do the same thing every application process

Timbo

« Reply #701 on: January 07, 2012, 09:49:04 AM »
Hi all, I was one of the candidates that came out of the last interview stage with one of the "Stay Fit" letters. I've been following this forum and have read that some people who initially received "Stay Fit" letters have since been called up for the next round of tests. I unfortunately didn't receive a call up but was just wondering if anyone could shed some light on where to go from here. Is it likely that there will be another calling from this group, or is it more likely that the standard application process will begin again? Having said that though I still haven't received any further notification yet to say that my application is no longer valid. Cheers

I would suggest all is not lost. Last process they took 3 drill squads over 2 years. And with the costs involved in Advertising/Pat1/profiling/interview, I reckon if they could get another 18 out of the current list they will, it just may be 6 or more months at least.

The SAMFS budget is already overspent.

Hang tight, ya just never know.

And, they have taken 4 squads from 1 process In recent times!

The driving factor is retirements, as like any Govt department there are set 'Full Time Equivilents' that have to be adhered to. Can't recruit just cos they feel like it. Have to keep the Minister happy. Balance that with lead in time from Advertise to Graduation, and it is quite a challenge to forecast how many new recruits are required in a years time, when retirements happen at very short notice (not many say they are leaving until the last minute).

MrT

Timbo

« Reply #702 on: January 07, 2012, 09:55:29 AM »
Posted on: Yesterday at 08:17:55 PMPosted by: td 

Sorry mate but it looks like youv'e missed out. Sounds like there will not be anymore drill squads and next recruitment will be a fresh intake.

The testing is only valid for 12 months(90% sure) so they can't keep u cab ranked for too long. They pretty much do the same thing every application process

Profiling is valid for 12 months, correct Ferret.  So you have til prob May 2012 (whenever you sat the profiling) for them to give the yes or no.  The squad can start after that (last time they sent letters around expiry, but didn't start the squad until Sept (that was Advertised Jan/Feb 2009, 3rd squad from that process started Sept 2010)

MrT

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 07, 2012, 03:32:45 PM »

Hi td, I'm in the same boat mate in waiting to see if there will be a third course. It's been mentioned on here a few times before and it's easier said than done but don't put your life on hold waiting but stay fit just in case. Having said that I have heard rumors from firies at different ranks and I would take it with a pinch of salt that they might not do another recruitment drive until next year. Also this second recruit course will get the service just above the line they like to keep so it will depend on how many retire from now to July if they need a third course. I stress this is just rumors and someone else on this forum may be able to help you out some more but good luck for the future.

Offline td

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 07, 2012, 05:29:27 PM »
Thanks for everyones advice on this. I will let you all know if i get any correspondence. Cheers

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: January 07, 2012, 07:16:57 PM »
well done on even getting the stay fit letter, it is an achievement all of its own.
I just want to help

Offline td

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 08, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »
well done on even getting the stay fit letter, it is an achievement all of its own.

Cheers for that gasman

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 21, 2012, 06:30:30 PM »
Anyone had anymore news with their application? is the drill squad still going ahead?

Monger

« Reply #708 on: January 22, 2012, 03:29:16 PM »
Anyone had anymore news with their application? is the drill squad still going ahead?

pretty sure a squad starts in march

Timbo

« Reply #709 on: January 22, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
pat 2 starts on the 13th feb
drill squad starts 27th march

As quoted: Confirmed, this course is going ahead

Offline Truck

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 12, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
G'day Everyone, I am hopeful of getting through the March intake and was wondering if anyone could provide a bit of back ground on the 3 month training block so I can figure out what I may be in for and need to plan ahead to keep the family happy(!)?
Things like
1. Is it 5, 6 or 7 days a week at 8, 10 or 12hr days.
2. What amount of extra study is required at the end of the day (homework!)
3. Is there specific fitness sessions during the day or is that done in our own time?

If there are any other suggestions or recommendations then would be great to hear them.

Cheers

Monger

« Reply #711 on: February 12, 2012, 12:33:14 PM »
G'day Everyone, I am hopeful of getting through the March intake and was wondering if anyone could provide a bit of back ground on the 3 month training block so I can figure out what I may be in for and need to plan ahead to keep the family happy(!)?
Things like
1. Is it 5, 6 or 7 days a week at 8, 10 or 12hr days.
2. What amount of extra study is required at the end of the day (homework!)
3. Is there specific fitness sessions during the day or is that done in our own time?

If there are any other suggestions or recommendations then would be great to hear them.

Cheers

I went through a few years ago. The training is monday to friday, work on the hours of 7am to 5pm, they change depending on the stage of the training you are in. There is also a night excercise where you start later in the day and work til about 10pm but this is in the last few weeks of the course and there is a full week away at Brukunga in the hills where you do live fire pad training, you stay here for the week and there is a display night where your family and friends can come up and watch you strut your stuff. There would be a average of 1hr per night required for extra study or home work, the night before an exam you made need to study a bit longer. You have PT training sessions pretty much everyday of the recruit course so there isnt much need to do any after hours unless you like to run because the majority of the PT sessions were based around core strength. Majority of guys who play footy dont play while they are in recruits incase of injury at footy because if you cant complete the course you may have to go thru the whole application process again.
Someone who has gone thru more recently may be able to add more or correct any of my info as things may have changed slightly. Good luck

Timbo

« Reply #712 on: February 12, 2012, 12:34:37 PM »
5 days a week, 0700h to 1630h (ish). Week 13 you will live at the State Training Centre, Mon to Fri.
And one day is an afternoon shift with a night drill

No extra fitness reqd, you will be doing PT 3 or 4 days each week, for an hour. And in work time.

Study - generally an hour or so each night, some do more, some less.  Plus extra beige each test/exam. I think there were 4 or 5 of those

Other advice: shut up and listen. No one likes a know it all.
You need to be superman for 14 weeks, then the good life begins!

MrT

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:35:00 PM by MrT »

Timbo

« Reply #713 on: February 12, 2012, 12:35:25 PM »
Ha, looks like Ferret and I are on the same page

Monger

« Reply #714 on: February 12, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
Ha, looks like Ferret and I are on the same page

« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 02:24:23 PM by Ferret »

Offline JLS

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 13, 2012, 08:02:30 AM »
Good luck for the pat2 this week Johnny and Truck keep us posted.

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
Hey, Good luck for all the PAT 2'S this week.  When do you all have your medicals? Shouldn't be that long until u get the nod!

Timbo

« Reply #717 on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:22 PM »
Hey, Good luck for all the PAT 2'S this week.  When do you all have your medicals? Shouldn't be that long until u get the nod!

A friend of mine did Pat2 today

Medical tomorrow

T

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 13, 2012, 06:59:28 PM »
Mr T, When will they get told that they have a position on the drill squad?

Timbo

« Reply #719 on: February 13, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
Mr T, When will they get told that they have a position on the drill squad?

Once they have all passed medicals.
Usually 4 or 5 days after the last medical

MrT

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #720 on: February 14, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
Johnny and the rest of you guys, How have you all gone in your Pat 2's and medicals?

Offline Truck

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: February 15, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
Cheers for the info re the training block fellas. Really helpful. Interesting to read any injury and you have to start the whole process again. Tough break if it happened.
...next step wait and see!

Monger

« Reply #722 on: February 16, 2012, 07:10:27 AM »
Cheers for the info re the training block fellas. Really helpful. Interesting to read any injury and you have to start the whole process again. Tough break if it happened.
...next step wait and see!

if you are injured during recruits you are fine but an injury when off duty is problem because if you can't complete the drill squad there is no guarantee when the next one starts

Offline Johnny

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: February 16, 2012, 08:39:22 AM »
Johnny and the rest of you guys, How have you all gone in your Pat 2's and medicals?

Hi All, Got through the PAT 2 all ok. Medical to go...

Offline triple j

• View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 16, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
All the best Truck and Johnny....Have they told you when u might get a job offer?

anything