Author Topic: RECRUITMENT 2011  (Read 631596 times)

Monger

Re: RECRUITMENT 2011
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2010, 07:08:45 AM »
Does anyone happen to know the order in which the components of the recruitment takes place?

Cheers

Last year they did PAT 1 first then aptitude and profiling then interview. Dont know about any of the rest. I only got to the interview.

But when you do PAT 1 you have to have License, 1st aid cert and typing cert with you so they can sight them other wise you wont be able to try out. They are strict with that

Usually after the interview the numbers will be culled again, they may cab rank 100 people and then take numbers from the top as they need recruits. The next step is then the pat2, i think when they know how many numbers they need eg. 1 drill squad(18 people) they will put maybe 20 thru this. If you pass the next step is they call your referees and then finally the medical.

Offline gasman

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2010, 07:51:03 PM »
Hey USAR, did you take them up on the feed back after your interview? What did they tell you, purely for interest sake of course. I have had the same feed back two years running.....
I just want to help

Offline USAR123

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 09:40:53 PM »
Hey USAR, did you take them up on the feed back after your interview? What did they tell you, purely for interest sake of course. I have had the same feed back two years running.....

The sucky thing with my feedback was that I didn't get my feedback from who interviewed me. They just went by what notes that were written.

I was told that I didn't give enough information /  detail in my answers to their questions relating to the PID. Although I was told my note taking was good that I wrote down to prompt myself for my answers.

Hopefully I can get further this year.

Monger

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 04:14:24 AM »

The sucky thing with my feedback was that I didn't get my feedback from who interviewed me. They just went by what notes that were written.

I was told that I didn't give enough information /  detail in my answers to their questions relating to the PID. Although I was told my note taking was good that I wrote down to prompt myself for my answers.

Hopefully I can get further this year.

They interview roughly 150 people so even if you did speak to the person that interviewed you there is a fair chance they would not remember you personally and would just read the notes they took anyway. The whole recruiting process sucks but not sure what a better way to do it is

Offline gasman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 01:46:20 PM »
Similar feed back to mine, almost seemed to be a bit generic. Keep trying and we will get in eventually
I just want to help

Offline Bolts84

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 04:13:11 PM »
Just curious to what 'PID' stands for?

Cheers

Monger

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »
Just curious to what 'PID' stands for?

Cheers

Position Information Document. I think.

Offline USAR123

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 06:28:22 PM »
Thats fair enough though. They did tell me its  a hard process to be able to keep on top of for the interview feed backs.

I got no probs with still trying gasman. I'll keep going till I get there in the end.

PID = Postion Information Document. You were right Ferret

Offline King Prawn Curry

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 06:40:55 PM »
Hi Guys (and Girls?),

Does any one have an idea of what month 2011 application are likely to be taken?

My permanent residency status doesn't come through until May and I'll be gutted if I have to wait another year for my first attempt.

Many thanks,

KPC

Monger

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 06:52:36 PM »
Hi Guys (and Girls?),

Does any one have an idea of what month 2011 application are likely to be taken?

My permanent residency status doesn't come through until May and I'll be gutted if I have to wait another year for my first attempt.

Many thanks,

KPC
[/quote

I would say late January early February buy that would be a complete guess

Offline Bolts84

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2010, 06:55:08 PM »
Thanks Ferret and USAR123 for confirming that. I have now found that info on the MFS website and will have a good read through.

I have a couple other questions to put out there for some responses.....How are most applicants preparing for the Numeracy and Literacy tests and what has been the time frame in the past that the MFS advertise for recruitment to when they actually start testing applicants?

Cheers

Monger

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2010, 07:54:35 PM »
Thanks Ferret and USAR123 for confirming that. I have now found that info on the MFS website and will have a good read through.

I have a couple other questions to put out there for some responses.....How are most applicants preparing for the Numeracy and Literacy tests and what has been the time frame in the past that the MFS advertise for recruitment to when they actually start testing applicants?

Cheers
[/quote

When I applied the applications were opened for 2 weeks and the testing started approximately 1 month later.

Offline Zander

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 06:08:27 AM »
I'd be ready around the time Ferret mentions ;)

It's my first time too. There are plenty of literacy and numerical tests around, you can find this sort of stuff on the web. There is also a course that TAFE offers, specifally around this testing aswell, but i think it runs for about 6 months. My mate did this course and he is now in.

That's interesting around the feedback part. Having interviewed plenty of people in the past in my current line of work, the most i've done is about 15 over two days and it gets a bit hazy remembering that many.

Ferret, was it the interview they didn't pass you on, or did they say anything about the aptitude and profiling as part of the reason? I've heard the feedback isn't great, but if you don't know what the work on.... hmm.

Monger

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2010, 06:16:33 AM »
I'd be ready around the time Ferret mentions ;)

It's my first time too. There are plenty of literacy and numerical tests around, you can find this sort of stuff on the web. There is also a course that TAFE offers, specifally around this testing aswell, but i think it runs for about 6 months. My mate did this course and he is now in.

That's interesting around the feedback part. Having interviewed plenty of people in the past in my current line of work, the most i've done is about 15 over two days and it gets a bit hazy remembering that many.

Ferret, was it the interview they didn't pass you on, or did they say anything about the aptitude and profiling as part of the reason? I've heard the feedback isn't great, but if you don't know what the work on.... hmm.

Hey Zander, it was Usar that was saying he didnt pass the interview and received little feedback. I was lucky enough to pass mine.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 06:19:22 AM by Ferret »

Offline Zander

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2010, 08:12:13 AM »
oops, that's what you get when you're doing a million things at work and typing quickly.

how was your experience for the interview process though? can you give us newbies and idea of what it will be like?

Offline King Prawn Curry

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 08:04:13 PM »
[/quote]

Thanks Ferret. Sounds like I'll be pushing a zimmer by the time I get my first stab. Is there any age restrictions? I'm 33 now, so will potentially be mid 30's by the time I can apply. 

Thanks

KPC

Monger

« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 04:14:40 AM »

Thanks Ferret. Sounds like I'll be pushing a zimmer by the time I get my first stab. Is there any age restrictions? I'm 33 now, so will potentially be mid 30's by the time I can apply. 

Thanks

KPC
[/quote]

No age restrictions, in the last few years there has been about 10 blokes in there 40's get in. 49 is the oldest i know of

Offline MRF

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »
Can anyone please tell me where I can find a copy of the PID on the SAMFS website?

Offline Bolts84

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »
Go to the MFS homepage and up the top right corner type PID in the search box. It is the first item on the list.

Cheers

Monger

« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »
Heard a rumour the license may be changing back to MR for recruitment and then it is employees responisibility to upgrade to HR in first year in job. Might be an idea to check with human resources before going out and getting HR for application.

Offline Bolts84

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 12:40:26 PM »
Heard a rumour the license may be changing back to MR for recruitment and then it is employees responisibility to upgrade to HR in first year in job. Might be an idea to check with human resources before going out and getting HR for application.

That would right as I have just finished my HR licence! O well it's done now and don't need to worry about it!

Monger

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 01:05:34 PM »

That would right as I have just finished my HR licence! O well it's done now and don't need to worry about it!

Not sure how true it is, just something I heard

Offline crossy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 03:45:09 PM »
i got told the same thing the other weekend. apprently because too many people were going out and getting hr licences and never using them
cant prove it?? then i didnt do it......

Offline Citizen

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
I wonder if I can get a refund from getting my HR licence haha, it cost a bomb.
The current drill squad should be due to graduate any time soon yeah?

Offline bolts

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »
That's right Citizen, only 3 weeks left. Our Graduation is on the 17th of December. We are doing response drills at the moment and going up to Brukunga week after next.