Author Topic: blinkk bill intro  (Read 11758 times)

rescue5271

blinkk bill intro
« on: January 05, 2005, 11:24:50 AM »
Well here goes,my name is bill most people in the service call me blinky bill mind you I am sure others call me other name's. I have been in the fire service since 1982. I was a member of the CFA for almost 20 years before I moved to Naracoorte,in my short time here I have undertaking the level 1 and 2,RCR,GPS,driver training and some one day work shops here in region 5 and at STC. I have held the position as brigade cadet leader,I am at present the brigade and group logistics officer and would like to move into a more group role rather than a brigade positionin the near future.

My wife is also a member of the brigade,and our 2 year old son just love it when the pager goes off,he knows the different tones so he can tell when dad has to go. The fire service is like a big family to us,full of kind and not so kind words but also full of members that want to help. some years ago while giving a talk to a school this kid said to me why do you do it? I said in the fire brigade there are 3 types of  firefighter.

Those that like to see their name up in lights
Those that like to the rush of the chase
Those that want to put something back into the community

Offline Macca

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
Deano
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 10:22:58 PM »
Well I am new to South Australia, just come over from New South Wales, have spent the last 7 years with the RFS and am heading to Roxby Downs, I have had a vast experience with scrub/bush fires MVA's structure fires, and a few searches am looking forward to a change hope to know all of you soon through this great site

Deano

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Deano
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 04:35:32 PM »
Quote from: Macca
Well I am new to South Australia, just come over from New South Wales, have spent the last 7 years with the RFS and am heading to Roxby Downs, I have had a vast experience with scrub/bush fires MVA's structure fires, and a few searches am looking forward to a change hope to know all of you soon through this great site

Deano

Well I hope you like the CFS... From what i hear, the CFS works very differently to the RFS, but it would be interesting to hear about how you experience it...

Offline CyberCitizen

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Fire Fighter
    • View Profile
    • http://myspace.com/cfsfirey
Re: blinkk bill intro
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 06:03:01 PM »
Quote from: rescue5271
some years ago while giving a talk to a school this kid said to me why do you do it? I said in the fire brigade there are 3 types of  firefighter.

Those that like to see their name up in lights

Well I Would Have To Say 2 Of The Things Are Correct In My Case.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 01:44:42 PM »
My name is Robert and I have been a member of the Kalangadoo SA Country Fire Service for 10 years in December....ever since becoming a Senior Fire Fighter in 2000 i've been to a handful of grass/scrub fires one of them being the Kalangadoo-Glencoe Road grassfire in 2001.2 house fires,between 5-10 Industrial Fires including the memorable Carter Holt Harvey Nangwarry mill fire a couple of years ago where i was 2nd in command of the Kalangadoo 34 crew despite being only 19

I've also been to 2 RCR's non entrapment,1 Land Search and 4 strike Team Requests one of them being the Monbulla Grass Fire also a couple years ago               

To date i have my level 1&2 certificates, SAGRN Operators certificate, Senior First Aid and a Emergency Response Warden Statement of Attainment Certificate as well

My interest of becoming a fire fighter was brought on by my father who is the only active member of the original Kalangadoo 44 crew that fought the 1983 Ash Wednesday Fires... being an active member of the SACFS was my strong point during High School as i was given A& A+ nearly every semester in Community Studies because my teacher then is a current active member of the CFS as well

However i am still waiting for the chance to be apart of a CFS deployment crew to go and fight fires interstate
« Last Edit: October 16, 2005, 01:48:39 PM by Robert34 »
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline F.B.R.T

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 10:41:12 PM »
G,day Everyone,

My name is Mathew, I am 30 years of age, married with a 8 month old daughter, work fulltime doing auto electrical work/cabling and also are a Retained Senior Firefighter with the South Australian Metropolitan Fire Service in Mount Gambier.

Our station(70), has four fire appliances (Scania Large Pumper, Isuzu Mid Urban Pumper, Isuzu 14 Pumper and an antique Skyjet :-D)      Mount Gambier is one of Regional Operations busiest stations with calls usually 450-500 year

I first started a role in Emergency Services back when I was still at school, at the age of 15 with the State Emergency Service.
I became more interested in the diverse role that the Fire Services play and joined SAMFS in early 1993 and have been there since (with a 6 month break for work change)

With this time in the service, I have seen many changes in equipment and PPE and have completed pretty much all the nessesary courses that are offered 2-3 times or more and have attended probably several thousand calls ranging from domestic and commercial fires, grass and rubbish fires, HAZMAT incidents, RCR incidents and anything else that is thrown at us! :-)

I believe that being a Firefighter, would have to be one of the best jobs you could think of, whether your a volunteer,paid or somewhere in between. Nothing beats the satisfaction of helping others in need when the "crap hits the fan"
The fact that every job is so different to the next, is what makes it so much better than the usual mundane repetitive workplace that most of us would work in!

Anyway, that's enough from me, I look forward to reading other intro's from eveyone else!!!
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

rescue5271

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2006, 05:45:57 AM »
Welcome matthew,so are you applying for one of the fulltime positions down there???

Offline F.B.R.T

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 12:26:57 AM »
Yeh, I probably would, but I really don't know anything more about the fulltime situation than anyone else here on the forum.

It would be good to know that all your hard work over the years would give yourself a decent chance at doing it full-time perhaps, after all, we have been good enough to do it 24/7 on a part-time basis wearing the same uniform, driving the same vehicles and basically the same training as full-time firefighters.

We still "put the wet stuff on the red stuff"
It's really only the pay and hours that vary!!!!!:-)
The views I express are my own, and not necessarily of the service I represent!

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2006, 07:49:19 AM »
Morning all well someone has stolen my YAHOO ID so I am no longer rescue5271 but 5271rescue any i guess I have to start all over again with new postings :-(
blinky bill
my view only

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 10:24:24 AM »
Morning all well someone has stolen my YAHOO ID so I am no longer rescue5271 but 5271rescue any i guess I have to start all over again with new postings :-(

Seems to be a lot of that happening on Yahoo

Maybe Froggy can transfer your stats Bill :wink:
Images are copyright

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 05:26:17 PM »
Done :-D

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 06:55:55 PM »
Knew we could rely on you Froggy...im sure Bill will appreciate it :-)
Images are copyright

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 07:56:00 PM »
AHHHH but all of a sudden i was kickin donkey

Offline 5271rescue

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2006, 04:13:04 PM »
I am back.........
blinky bill
my view only

Offline lilmiss_firey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2006, 01:04:34 PM »
Hey.. seeing people hav introduced themselves i thought i may do the same!!!

Im new the CFS, having just done my BFF1 course and also new to this site

@ the moment i really am enjoying myself in the CFS but i am told that will wear off soon... but for the time being - its good fun!!

im so glad i found this site... it's pretty cool!!!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
Hey.. seeing people hav introduced themselves i thought i may do the same!!!

Im new the CFS, having just done my BFF1 course and also new to this site

@ the moment i really am enjoying myself in the CFS but i am told that will wear off soon... but for the time being - its good fun!!

im so glad i found this site... it's pretty cool!!!

Welcome to the group,we hope you get as much out of it as you put in :-D
Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2006, 01:53:09 PM »
The fun doesn't wear off for some of us! :P
I'm sure you'll have an eventful summer to start off your CFS career!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2006, 02:38:14 PM »
I'd agree with cfs-firey.......after 23 + years I'm still having fun...!!   :-D

When you stop having fun, it is time to leave...

Pip

There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline lilmiss_firey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2006, 03:07:36 PM »
thanks... and it does seem like it is going to be a busy summer with the fires that hav already been through!!!

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2006, 04:46:00 PM »
And it's not even summer yet    :-o
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline aust_fire1

• View Profile
    • Port Elliot CFS
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2006, 06:02:26 AM »
Hi People.
 My name is Allan.
 I have been a member for 27 yrs. I joined the EFS mid 1979. Joined because my Father, Uncle and Grandfather were also members.

I am at present the Captain of the Port Elliot brigade. Over the years I have held every position in the brigade at sometime or another.

I am the last original member of the original CFS Group (Mundoo Group - formally Goolwa & Districts Group) still holding a position in the Group. Have held a position in the group ever since it was formed in 1987. (Equipment Officer for 17 yrs & Logistics for 5 yrs.)

When I joined we had a Blitz truck and a trailer pump. We progressed to a c-1300 International and a D-1410 international in the early 80's. We eventually obtained a 24 & 34 hino which are the current appliances being used.

My 1st fire was at Deep Creek in Dec 1979. I have been involved in nearly every major tasking including both Ash Wednesdays in 1980 & 83.
I have no plans to retire from the brigade or group, nor do I plan on any ranking above captain.

My Grandfather was the person who decided to encourage Port Elliot to form a registered Fire Service.He, at that time was a fire supervisor for the district.
We formed in 1958, but the town had a trailer pump before that date. The trailer pump was purchased in 1948 from the Civil Defence in Keswick.

Hope I have not bored you.

Offline Smokeydk

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2006, 04:38:45 PM »

Hi.....I'm Dave...I've been in CFS 23 years..last 11 in Milang...9 of those as Brigade Training Officer and Lieutenant since 1999.
I joined Ash wednesday 1983...My Dad was a Brigade Capt then DGO.before retiring .My brother was in same brigade as My Dad.......and My daughter was a cadet too...so CFS is like family.

Waves to Allan.aust_fire1 ..prob see you this summer fires Mate. :wink:

Offline aust_fire1

• View Profile
    • Port Elliot CFS
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2006, 05:53:55 PM »
No probs Dave; I actually work for the local gov. I am based at the Goolwa Depot.I am ya sign man as well. I do milang once a week.... If ya see me...say hello.

Cheers and stay safe :-D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 05:56:00 PM by aust_fire1 »