Author Topic: Graduate paramedics  (Read 22811 times)

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Graduate paramedics
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 01:39:09 PM »
And without volunteer ambos, there would be many rural communities in SA who would have no ambulance service within their community, as funding would be unlikely to be made available for a paid crew, aside from the issues already outlined.

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline disOrderly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2010, 02:00:17 PM »
This has also helped me guys.

My only problem is I can't afford to leave the state to study (have my job, great work colleagues, family, friends) and my income is vital to my mum and I when it comes to everyday expenses.

Despite the fact that FUs degree doesn't seem to be that happy atm, I feel its probably the most appropriate.

Also, despite my shortcomings with Strath, I have applied to work at Goolwa as a volly. Interesting to see that Goolwa does more jobs than a metro station!
Check out the Australian Healthcare Forums: http://aushealth.forumup.com.au/

misterteddy

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »

My only problem is I can't afford to leave the state to study (have my job, great work colleagues, family, friends) and my income is vital to my mum and I when it comes to everyday expenses.

Despite the fact that FUs degree doesn't seem to be that happy atm, I feel its probably the most appropriate.

Also, despite my shortcomings with Strath, I have applied to work at Goolwa as a volly. Interesting to see that Goolwa does more jobs than a metro station!

check out Charles Sturt Uni, they have a very good Distance Learning Paramedic Degree

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »
Well might see at goolwa disorderly i have just applied in the current intake to volly there
Lt. Goolwa CFS

Offline jayc

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 04:25:14 PM »

Have you applied for next year's intake, disOrderly?

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 04:07:18 AM »
Yeah, I have applied to the current intake too Al, so I'll hopefully see you there!

And yes jayc, I put my application in when they opened in August I believe.

I have checked out CSU, only thing is I would prefer to actually go to uni and meet people. Plus I have too many distractions at home! I am looking at it for a worst case scenario. I suppose even the distance CSU degree is better than the FU one?

It frustrates me that FU only accept people purely on grades. I am getting better grades at uni than I ever did at school (at the moment I am 5.5GPA) yet I am still concerned it isn't enough! It's silly to know that two girls were removed from the course because they could not tolerate trauma pictures shown in lecture, yet here is someone who is already working with SAAS, in a level 1 trauma ED (used to seeing gory things!), is familiar with some SAAS equipment (Ferno stretcher, Vac Mattress, Oxygen, blue transfer sheet, restraining net), familiar with SAAS culture ( radio etiquette, callsigns, positions, vehicles, terminology and staff), has a broad practical knowledge (3 lead ECG lead placement, oxy flow rates etc) an increasing theoretical knowledge and the ability to talk to patients and other healthcare workers, yet its still near impossible to get in :( could an interview process not prevent people who can't handle it from getting in and allow the people who can instead?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 04:20:42 AM by disOrderly »

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »

It frustrates me that FU only accept people purely on grades.

and herein lies the problem.  Gen Y's who can study and spew forth knowledge - yet can't talk to a psychotic or violent aggressive patient!  Life experience is significantly under-rated - not to mention the lack of empathy and the "whats in it for me?" attitude! 

on the other side of it....the same attitude/lack of experience also means you can laugh your arse off at them when they get covered in Spew or Vomit because they don't know how to do it any other way!!

Offline jayc

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 11:40:22 PM »

and herein lies the problem.  Gen Y's who can study and spew forth knowledge - yet can't talk to a psychotic or violent aggressive patient!  Life experience is significantly under-rated - not to mention the lack of empathy and the "whats in it for me?" attitude! 

on the other side of it....the same attitude/lack of experience also means you can laugh your filtered off at them when they get covered in Spew or Vomit because they don't know how to do it any other way!!

In my opinion, one's ability to confidently and appropriately deal with altered patients etc has a number of determinants. I think trait assertiveness, intelligence are most important.  Some will acquire good people skills at a younger age; so it's impossible to accurately judge someone's social  (adapt)ability on the basis of age or life experience.
Getting back to my first question, what is SAAS's views on this? Are they likely to employ a graduate fresh out of uni, with no life experience...?

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
lol...are they likely to?

It is the ONLY way they do it!  The only exception is mature age students...but again- fresh out of uni.

And you're right about the traits that people have...some young ones are wise beyond their years.....but that seems to be increasingly rare these days!

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2010, 01:20:34 PM »

on the other side of it....the same attitude/lack of experience also means you can laugh your filtered off at them when they get covered in Spew or Vomit because they don't know how to do it any other way!!

I have become quite skilled at the art of vomit avoidance. I am yet to be vomited on! And I have had a heap let rip haha. I must admit, talking to psychotic/violent/aggressive people is something I want to know how to do well. I generally don't have to do it and I suppose thats because I have the (relative) safety of 6 security guards, shackles and midazolam :P I have acted as a councellor many times thought to old blokes who miss their dead wives or women who have pulled their teeth out themselves. So I have that going for me!

Offline jayc

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2010, 05:17:10 PM »
lol...are they likely to?

It is the ONLY way they do it!  The only exception is mature age students...but again- fresh out of uni.

And you're right about the traits that people have...some young ones are wise beyond their years.....but that seems to be increasingly rare these days!

haha yes,,, good point. Maybe i should have worded that a little differently... What I mean is, would a mature age be much more likely to get a job than a 20 year old grad, simply because they have more life experience? Or would they look moreso at things like GPA etc...? If there aren't many positions being made available, they can be picky - and I hope this doesn't mean the younger applicants will miss out.

No Care 1

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
Jayc my advice to you would be same if you walked into police recruiting right now. Go get a job in the real world even working at Coles, learn some customer and team skills,  join a sports club and get some adult time behind you before applying.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:34:01 PM by No Care 1 »

Offline jayc

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 06:39:06 PM »
no care - that's cool. I appreciate your honesty. I'm still going to apply (at FUSA) though. Be it I get employed interstate or wherever, I still really want the job. And it is possible - to be successful at a young age. It has to be; otherwise they'd have an age limit. Anyway, I'm confident in my interpersonal skills, and so on :-)

If everything goes well, I will have been a lifeguard for a number of years when I finish uni.
I want to volunteer for an emergency service as well... but where do you go/where are you eligible to go, if you live in the metropolitan....?:?

Offline Blackfoot

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 07:03:11 AM »
Although this will provoke a torrent of abuse and angst try looking at the EMT Ambulance Service. All volunteer, training to diploma level and some lifesavers who work on shift during the winter months. A number of ex members who have obtained jobs with QAS and NSW services. 8-)

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 02:27:52 PM »
Mmm...they seem like nice people who want to help those that can't afford Ambulance trips, but I wouldn't want to be having some sort of medical emergency with them :P

Having said that though, the experience of how to talk to patients and providing assistance to those in need is not only rewarding but a good experience you can take with you into further study and work.

Also, as far as I am aware, it doesn't matter where you live when it come to volunteering with SAAS, but obviously you want to try and get as close as you can to the town you are going to :P
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 02:39:55 PM by disOrderly »

No Care 1

« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 03:49:30 PM »
Jayc cant volunteer with SAAS as he is
1) A minor
2) Doesnt have a full unrestricted drivers licence (no L's or P's)

sorry

misterteddy

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 10:03:32 PM »
hopefully the same applies with the Bumblefoots too.....but I rather suspect not

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2010, 11:40:28 AM »
...the last one of them I met was about 16.   

For some reason he didn't have all his teeth either....

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2010, 12:33:11 AM »
The other day, I met one that didnt seem that old either.

He had all his teeth however. :P
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 02:02:00 AM by disOrderly »

Offline jayc

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2010, 11:27:21 AM »
yep, a bit too young at the moment. Next year though, I could apply at Stirling maybe. That's not toooo far away.

Offline straps

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2010, 12:05:12 PM »
Hey Jayc,
Mallala, Yankalilla, Goolwa, Strathalbyn or Mt Pleasant would be the closest vol stations for SAAS if you live in metro adelaide

Stirling is a career station...

Offline jayc

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2010, 12:54:19 PM »
Oh right... I'm not sure where I got Stirling from then, haha :?
Thanks for the info! Much appreciated, straps

misterteddy

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2010, 01:57:51 PM »
Hey Jayc,
Mallala, Yankalilla, Goolwa, Strathalbyn or Mt Pleasant would be the closest vol stations for SAAS if you live in metro adelaide

Stirling is a career station...

and Meadows

Offline disOrderly

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2010, 10:37:32 PM »
Assuming you are 17 now, you won't be able to apply next year either because you will need your full drivers license which you can't get until you are at least 19, assuming you get no demerit points whatsoever. There is no other way around that unfortunately, believe me, I've tried! It sucks :(

Offline jayc

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
ahhh, that's devestating...
Can you begin the education/qualification process before you reach the necessary age?
And does anyone know what sort of training you receive? Certificate/diploma in emergency pre-hospital care or something...?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 12:12:24 PM by jayc »