Author Topic: Rescue from heights.  (Read 19079 times)

Offline Andrew K

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue from heights.
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2010, 11:22:40 PM »
at work i use twin rope, with the ses i use single, i'm comfortable with both knowning how hard it is to break a rope even exceeding the swl and good rope management and edge managament is essential in both,

what i'm trying to get at is if one rope fails, then if a rope is from the same batch, treated the same way by the same people there is no reason that it won't give way as well.

really its horses for courses, if i can work both then i'm pretty much safe with whoever i have to deal with

rescue5271

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 10:02:09 AM »
I spoke to a couple of members( CFS) who just did the RESCUE FROM HEIGHTS course  and SES liked the single line where as those in CFS wanted twin lines however at the end of the day the course that is on offer deals around single lines rather than twin lines. SES where the instructors on the course and not CFS and that is where the problem is one service wants this and the other service wants that.....

You cant please everyone...

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 06:32:07 PM »
As for Hilti safe-rings how would they be beneficial in a rescue scenario I doubt if they would be in the right location and they are only used in concrete and cavity brick walls and need to be load tested before use as per Australian Standards to 6kn for rope access or 7.5kn for fall arrest systems hence why you see them on commercial building sites.

Ever tried making an anchor in concrete, rock or brick? In time critical life rescue scenario, I think you'll find they don't need to be load tested before use.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline crashndash

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 07:28:25 PM »
lolol.....you guys are funny, this is more fun than the usual SES and RCR, CFS and Metro responses and MFS and hard work discussions  :lol:

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2010, 08:57:26 PM »
I know a couple of you definitely have, but id be interested to know TRUTHFULLY who of you have actually been involved in rope rescue or truly know what they are talking about.I'm also slightly concerned about how little faith some of you must have in a] your equipment, b] your skills, and c] your crew... if this is the case you shouldn't be attempting anything in the first place.

*note; i have no hands on experience in rope rescue, but have some knowledge and have experience with climbing/abseiling o/s of emerg work.

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2010, 10:03:35 PM »
Hand on bible:

Involved in rope rescue, trained in both single and double line (13mm/11mm), qualified "Undertake Vertical Rescue" among in-house pre-PSTP courses.

Even though my equipment was produced by the lowest bidder, I have confidence in it, and I enjoy the fact that the double rope system is able to back up the fallable human element in the system.

I'll happily hang off the litter anytime, anywhere!
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Andrew K

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 11:34:50 PM »
in an emergency services sense one small job, in industry at work, 6 or 7 one to one rescues where people have fallen on a static line for example, and 1 litter job where someone fell and broke their hip

Offline Big Yellow Gongbeater

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 04:05:09 PM »
Rope Wankars, all the same....sheesh  :lol:. But i'd be tending to take my advice from the Industrial Fire Service (ESO's, ERT's) guys, since they actually deal with it more than all the SA Public emergency services combined. For the record single rope is on the way out kiddies, the majority of the other states and industrial services have moved onto twin rope, for many of the reasons listed in the arguments supporting it. Seems only some of the SES's and some of the Super Special Rescue Op's  :wink: haven't caught up with the times.
"Madness and chaos reign supreme. My work here is done"

anything