Author Topic: New CFS Village Pumper  (Read 28807 times)

Offline David

• Forum Senior Firefighter
  • David
    • View Profile
New CFS Village Pumper
« on: November 05, 2010, 05:57:18 AM »
Off topic slightly, has anyone heard of a 'village pumper'.  What is it how big etc.  At our last group meeting we were led to believe Birdwood would be getting one sometime in the next 18 mths.
On other news Barossa group is finally getting a tanker, 13000 litre at that, in the next couple of weeks.  It's been a good year out here for new vehicles. :-D
Williamstown
SFF 1
Log off
(formally 38)

rescue5271

New CFS Village 14
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 06:10:35 AM »
Yes its just about to hit the road and will be tested in regions was built by TASFIRE its a crew cab 14 and will be good for those brigades in the hills that have very narrow street's.  So keep a eye out for it as it will be going every where for testing...

Offline Shiner

• View Profile
New CFS Village 14
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:35:52 AM »
I recall there was something about it and a couple of photos on Arthurs latest Infralog newsletter but can't find where I put it at the minute........
Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

rescue5271

Re: New CFS Village Pumper
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 09:30:51 AM »
Looks a little like eden hills 14 cafs

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
Fantastic! Just like the Type 2 Pumper, the CFS are adopting a naming scheme for an appliance straight from an interstate fire service that has NO relevance to the SACFS.

Keep the good work I&L! You really deserve that paycheck!
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline vsteve01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 11:18:44 AM »

Offline COBB

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 12:20:57 PM »
Saw this one during the week in the western suburbs. Looks to have a nice finish to it. Still needed to be stowed when I saw it.
Whilst designated as a '14' it looks to be a significantly physically larger unit than the current Mitsi Canter's. Bit hard to judge without having them side by side. Hopefully will carry the weight better than the Canters.
On looks & finish I'd take one if offered.

pumprescue

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:15:21 PM »
I think the pumper tag is a little misleading, its certainly no pumper in the sense we view a pumper as.

Its simply a 14 with better stowage and BA.

I don't see how it would be relevant to Birdwood, haven't seen to many narrow streets in Birdwood.

It would be of excellent use to the likes of Stirling, Aldgate, Basket Range, Piccadilly etc who have narrow streets and lanes and need some urban firefighting capacity, either is a first response, or support to the main pumper for areas you can't get to.

But I am sure the end user has no idea what they are talking about and we will see them in places that are on the flat and need bulkwater.....

rescue5271

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 08:55:13 AM »
I guess we should all just wait till its in your region/group then go and have a playing with it see what it can or can not do.

Offline JJD

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
Firstly, its no narrower than a 14, which is the appliance type it is superceeding. The idea isnt for places with narrow streets, but areas which could do with a second appliance which is larger than a QRV but still significantly smaller than a 34 or 34p.

Size wise it is similar to the mitsi 14s not 100% sure but water is up around 1500-1600lts.

The "pumper" tag is irrevelant here, it will be designated a 14. Pumper comes from the tasfire designation, where any truck carrying BA is a pumper. Yes, it has stowage for BA.

The appliance, last i heard, will be based from birdwood while in the trial/prototype period, being taken to other brigades/groups/regions for weeks at a time for demonstrations and trials.

Yes its the same appliance from the last infralog.
Hmmm, a large unused document that is extremely important, but knowone knows what is in it or what it does.

Must be related to some sort of government department... - Footy

Judge me on the service....not my payslip - misterteddy

Offline tft

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 10:26:44 AM »
Something from  TFS engineering, about time.

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 10:55:36 AM »
Real Pumpers are outright PTO driven...that is all.

I must say, for a 14 appliance, its a step up, the pump is logical this time...

Thank goodness there's no 'tank fill', the most dangerous piece of plumbing on newer heavy tankers.

It'd be great for the Riverland, on dual response with a BWC.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 11:01:26 AM by Zippy »

Offline ftstn

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »

The "pumper" tag is irrevelant here, it will be designated a 14. Pumper comes from the tasfire designation, where any truck carrying BA is a pumper. Yes, it has stowage for BA.

If they kept the TFS tank size (which i am sure thet did it is 1600l)

Also I have never heard them refered to as a pumper, What TFS do differentiate though are the type of stowage on the appliance its either Urban or Rural,

rescue5271

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 04:51:59 AM »
They are a 1600lt tank which is a step up from the 14's, can see this being of great use to brigades in all areas of the state, nice to see at long last CFS is taking the appliances out to all regions for testing...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »
Off topic slightly, has anyone heard of a 'village pumper'. 

YMCA 14??

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 12:31:18 PM »
Off topic slightly, has anyone heard of a 'village pumper'. 

YMCA 14??

If they send it to some places "village pumper" will be appropriate :lol:
Images are copyright

misterteddy

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of willing volunteers to man it in those places... Make sure you get a t-card so they can be tracked down later....saves on phone calls  :-D

Offline Fire000

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »

Thank goodness there's no 'tank fill', the most dangerous piece of plumbing on newer heavy tankers.

Why is the tank fill so dangerous?

Offline Alan (Big Al)

• Forum Captain
  • CRUMPETS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 07:18:42 PM »
i suppose if the pumpy isnt on his game it can be easy enough to use more water than you have coming in, where as if you run it through an inlet through the pump and out you cant use more than you are getting? 
Lt. Goolwa CFS

pumprescue

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 06:09:40 AM »
Why would you use the tank fill in any other situation than to fill the tank when going to and from a fire ground, should never be used for stationary pumping, there is no way to control the in coming flow, unless you go to the hydrant and turn it off.

If your pulled up and working at a job go through the inlets.

Not that hard is it ?

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 11:00:30 PM »

Not that hard is it ?

Except for the fact that most brigades dont train that way, and most drivers/pumpies dont bother to know there appliances and pumps properly. Laziness is the key factor here.

pumprescue

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 05:53:12 AM »
Yeah good point, most people don't really bother to understand....

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 09:09:30 AM »
Why would you use the tank fill in any other situation than to fill the tank when going to and from a fire ground, should never be used for stationary pumping, there is no way to control the in coming flow, unless you go to the hydrant and turn it off.

If your pulled up and working at a job go through the inlets.

Not that hard is it ?

maybe I'm misunderstanding here but why can't you just partially shut off the valve on the tank inlet to control the flow of incoming water?  not sure what the big deal is...

in my brigade we usually use this way rather than pump inlet, but i'm talking rural 24, not a pumper, and no hydrants/mains.  Effectively we always use the tank then hook in another appliance / tanker / drafting line to keep the tank filled up.  This ensures a continuous flow of water to the branch, as it's using the tank as a 'buffer', when the incoming water stops eg. cos the 2nd appliance is now empty or have to reposition the drafting line etc.  It also means you get water on the fire immediately while the second crew/truck/person can setup ready for more water. The pump operator adjusts the valve to 'balance' the outgoing and incoming water.

pumprescue

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 11:02:49 AM »
All the new appliances come with a seperate tank fill, which goes into the tank only, and simply has a 1 way valve, no handle or anything like that, so there is no way to control the flow coming in, it is ONLY to be used for filling the tank not when stationary and running from a hydrant in and pumping out.

Very different to the old 24/34 setup.

Offline Darius

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 11:46:58 AM »
ok thanks I understand now, seems an odd setup, but as we're unlikely to get a new appliance anytime in the forseeable future it will all have changed by then I'm sure.

anything