Author Topic: Short 1.8 million in training?  (Read 28856 times)

misterteddy

Re: Short 1.8 million in training?
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2010, 10:53:50 PM »
How many of you regularly attend CFSVA meetings?

our Brigade rep generally attends. .......but please dont suggest that old chestnut that it's (the CFSVA) only as good as what WE (the already overworked Volunteer) puts into it.....the staff there are paid wages, good wages to produce results for us, bout time THEY took responsibility for THEIR output

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2010, 06:29:13 AM »
No i wasn't going to suggest that but It helps when you complain about these things to be able to say I was at the last meeting and listened the reports.

There is only 1 staff member in the CFSVA there should probably be more. 

FYI the CFSVA hasn't' released how their 1.8M is going to be used so know one really knows yet so how about we wait and see.

And we are all ignoring other things that they have got pretty much done such as the exemption form driver fatigue laws, the 25kph past emergency vehicles which is now just getting final paper work done. As well as continual pressure on Adelaide fire to improve there act which hasn't always been adequate for CFS.

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2010, 09:31:11 PM »

our Brigade rep generally attends. .......but please dont suggest that old chestnut that it's (the CFSVA) only as good as what WE (the already overworked Volunteer) puts into it.....the staff there are paid wages, good wages to produce results for us, bout time THEY took responsibility for THEIR output
well said Mr.T I Thought that was the way it went anyway you have one or two reps from your brigade that go to the CFSVA Mettings and takes what your the brigades ideas and suggestions or needs to the meetings.
hahahaha that 24 is a classic.....

rescue5271

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 05:07:30 AM »

The 25kms past emergency applainces has not come in yet and is along way off coming in, The driver fatigue laws(log books) is still a ongoing issue as CFS is not yet exempt as the wrong person signed off on that paperwork. There is documentation floating around has to how that 1.8 million is to be spent and most of that would go on wages to employ more training staff so that courses can go ahead. I am sure your group officer can supply you with a copy of the paperwork .

misterteddy

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 05:47:46 AM »
you know Bitten.....your post says it all for me.....yes they are the wins the CFSVA claims recently aren't they..... not exactly earth shattering are they? Ever think they were convenient ways of shutting them  (and therefore us)up with small trinkets??

I'll applaud them when they get a good win on the board...as of yet, that hasnt happened

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 12:09:40 PM »
What is your number 1 issue you want fixed?

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 10:37:41 PM »
And we are all ignoring other things that they have got pretty much done such as the exemption form driver fatigue laws, the 25kph past emergency vehicles which is now just getting final paper work done. As well as continual pressure on Adelaide fire to improve there act which hasn't always been adequate for CFS.

Hooray. I may not have a fit for purpose fire trucks, but thank Christ people will drive past it slowly!

The fact that the CFSVA are claiming things like the above as "wins" merely goes to show how toothless and gutless they are. We STILL have appliances that defy logic in the problems they have when the roll off the production line. We STILL have appalling stowage that defies logic and is simply unfit for use on a modern fire appliance. Busy brigades have nill support from both the CFS hierarchy or the CFSVA.

Thanks CFSVA...

What is your number 1 issue you want fixed?

Appliances and stowage that is fit for purpose and not a complete joke. Its not hard.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline Fire000

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2010, 02:00:41 AM »

The 25kms past emergency applainces has not come in yet and is along way off coming in, The driver fatigue laws(log books) is still a ongoing issue as CFS is not yet exempt as the wrong person signed off on that paperwork. There is documentation floating around has to how that 1.8 million is to be spent and most of that would go on wages to employ more training staff so that courses can go ahead. I am sure your group officer can supply you with a copy of the paperwork

Last i heard was that DTEI (Dept. Transport Energy and Infrastructure) were against the change. Even if they were for it, wouldn't it involve a change to an Act of parliament, thus requiring going through state parliament. I agree it's stupid the 40km/hr wasn't 25km/hr to start with, but don't think the change will be something as simple as getting 'signed off', it's a bit more involved than that.

rescue5271

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2010, 04:55:48 AM »
Your correct FIRE000,will take alot more leg work and lot more meetings...

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2010, 09:20:34 AM »

The 25kms past emergency applainces has not come in yet and is along way off coming in, The driver fatigue laws(log books) is still a ongoing issue as CFS is not yet exempt as the wrong person signed off on that paperwork. There is documentation floating around has to how that 1.8 million is to be spent and most of that would go on wages to employ more training staff so that courses can go ahead. I am sure your group officer can supply you with a copy of the paperwork

Last i heard was that DTEI (Dept. Transport Energy and Infrastructure) were against the change. Even if they were for it, wouldn't it involve a change to an Act of parliament, thus requiring going through state parliament. I agree it's stupid the 40km/hr wasn't 25km/hr to start with, but don't think the change will be something as simple as getting 'signed off', it's a bit more involved than that.

Correct Fire000 - the 40 km/hr is part of the Road Traffic Act (as opposed to the regulations) - which means to change it, it actually has to go through Parliament.    If both the Government & the Opposition agree, it is a very simple & quick process....if one or the other doesn't agree, then the change is more difficult...

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
I will be honest...I cannot see how a 25km/h speed limit will be actually done safely without signage being deployed.

I was told a few years ago that sinage would never fit on appliances & take to long to deploy a central facility in country areas.

Especially in the country regions where speed is being reduced from 110km/hr to 25 km/hr in a very limited distance.

Good luck SACFSVA...
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
The 40 km/hr limit past emergency vehicles already exists....under legislation, no signage required...but many people are still unaware of the law in relation to this.....

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2010, 08:30:13 PM »
I agree that appropriate stowage is important....

But when the CFSVA puts their voice into things like the this they get completely shot down by the Group officers who don't want them to worry about operational issues. So how about you all go to your group officers and say that you want them to let the CFSVA discuss and express opinion on operational matters.

On the other hand is are you CFSVA reps the people you want making operational decisions?

pumprescue

« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 05:56:39 AM »
Ahhh the crusty old Group Officer, they don't want ANYONE interfering in ANYTHING let alone operational matters !!

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 11:02:24 AM »
Sorry LETS not get confused here!!!! CFSVA state/group/brigade reps are voted in to as seudo union reps NOT a make operational decisions rep, if that is what they want to be ask us!...... its what we volunteers call "consultation", something the CFSVA has been banging on about to CFS staff at the direction of the CFS volunteers they represent for ages.
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »
Ahhh the crusty old Group Officer, they don't want ANYONE interfering in ANYTHING let alone operational matters !!

Yeh if they were dogs you would put the lot down!

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 12:36:23 PM »
There's that word again"consultation" something that's been missing in a lot of the decision process over the years. :roll:
Images are copyright

rescue5271

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 12:37:37 PM »
IF people are not happy about the CFSVA or what your brigade or group rep is doing then you as a member of the CFS can attend and have your say at any CFSVA meeting. So come along and have your say or hear what is going on....

Offline 485298

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 10:22:41 PM »

LOL theres got to be some group officers that want someone else's input..... i think :?
hahahaha that 24 is a classic.....

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 25, 2010, 06:08:52 AM »

LOL theres got to be some group officers that want someone else's input..... i think :?

Interesting concept! 8-)

Offline Zippy

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2010, 07:27:26 AM »
Tried that, chain of command only has only one way information flow in parts...

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2010, 09:52:43 AM »
I think the problem doesn;t lie with the group officers in terms of making the right descions.

but the link between the GO and the captains then the brigade members on the way down the chain.......

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2010, 04:25:20 PM »
The 40 km/hr limit past emergency vehicles already exists....under legislation, no signage required...but many people are still unaware of the law in relation to this.....

Pip

Some of us enforce a 25 km/h limit now.

When your car/truck/appliance/helicopter blocks 1.5 of 2 lanes- traffic has not much choice but to crawl past.

Coppers get cranky because you've 'overly obstructed' traffic?  It's my legislated problem to ensure my health and safety in the workplace.  Haven't had anyone argue with that yet.....

Offline Fire000

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2010, 07:26:55 PM »
Some of us enforce a 25 km/h limit now.

When your car/truck/appliance/helicopter blocks 1.5 of 2 lanes- traffic has not much choice but to crawl past.

Not sure if everyone understands the speed issue here.

Under the Fire and Emergency Services Act 2005, Section 97 (2) (f) CFS personnel have the power to direct or prohibit the movement of vehicles. CFS are not required to use traffic control signs or warning devices - nor does CFS train its personnel in traffic management (as per DTEI's standards). These procedures are further detailed in the Chief Officer's Standing Orders number 9 and Fire Ground Practice 16.1.

So yes, as Boredmatrix mentioned you can stop/direct traffic, as happened with his chopper landing incident. Whilst the responsibility for traffic management lies with SAPOL, as you would know it often comes back to CFS to do the hands on work. If SAPOL are not present and the OIC feels unsafe about the traffic situation, close the road. As Boredmatric mentioned, the safety of crew and patients has to come first.

The issue being discussed here is the 40km/hr past ALL emergency services vehicles displaying red/blue flashing lights or sounding a siren, at all incidents or whilst traveling to an incident. My understanding is this comes under the Australian Road Rules. It's designed to protect ALL emergency services vehicles, including instances where there may be 1 truck/ ambulance on scene and no one free to direct traffic/ do traffic control.

In theory, people should be doing 40km/hr past us at all times on scene, and the new proposal being discussed is to make it 25km/hr default speed past emergency services vehicles.If roadworks have a speed of 25km/hr to protect their crews, why should emergency services be any different.  Yes, as we currently see not everyone follows the current 40km/hr, and not everyone will follow the 25km/hr if/when it come into effect - but surely every measure to improve our safety counts. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2010, 07:43:38 PM »
Agree with the bulk of that fire000...

But I reckon the section in relation to speed past emergency vehicles comes under the RTA, Division 9, Section 83, not under the ARR....

Pip

anything