Author Topic: Short 1.8 million in training?  (Read 28944 times)

Offline Fire000

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: Short 1.8 million in training?
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »
Agree with the bulk of that fire000...

But I reckon the section in relation to speed past emergency vehicles comes under the RTA, Division 9, Section 83, not under the ARR....

Pip

Thanks for correcting me Pip, after all with your work you're in a better position to know traffic rules/regs than me.

cheers

misterteddy

« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2010, 08:22:16 AM »
are we sufficiently off topic yet?  :mrgreen:

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2010, 08:43:49 AM »
Agree with the bulk of that fire000...

But I reckon the section in relation to speed past emergency vehicles comes under the RTA, Division 9, Section 83, not under the ARR....

Pip

Thanks for correcting me Pip, after all with your work you're in a better position to know traffic rules/regs than me.

cheers

It's all on line at www.legislation.sa.gov.au !

And yes Mister  Teddy, we are waaayyyy off topic - but that's half the fun!!  :evil:

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2010, 10:15:36 AM »
Tried that, chain of command only has only one way information flow in parts...

Is your quote the gooderest inglish Zippster?
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2010, 11:57:07 AM »
Dropping the speed limit down to 25km/h when emergency vehicles are under red & blues's also presents an additional risk of "secondary accidents" in certain circumstances.

For example, a car is driving along a section of freeway in medium to heavy traffic with a posted limit of 110 km/h. There is fog patches about and it has been raining. The road starts turning through a bend to the left, just on the apex red and blue lights become visible. What should the driver do?

Brake hard to slow down from 110 to 25 could risk skidding / loosing control or be hit by other vehicles traveling behind.

Now I hear you say that they should be driving to the conditions. I challenge anyone who has had to respond to an incident on the SE Freeway to say that ever happens!

Best solution is for enough police to provide traffic control further back to give prior warning of the incident ahead and to allow a progressive reduction of speed. How often do we ever see this able to be done? Even with the current level of 40km/h it is still an issue we have to consider and input risk control measures, this often take the form of crew members being used solely as safety observers looking out and provide a warning should they see a wayward vehicle.

rescue5271

« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2010, 04:10:22 PM »
That would be fine in the real world more police doing traffic control but this is SA... What about 25kms past school buses when they have their yellow lights flashing ....

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2010, 05:33:13 PM »
Dropping the speed limit down to 25km/h when emergency vehicles are under red & blues's also presents an additional risk of "secondary accidents" in certain circumstances.

For example, a car is driving along a section of freeway in medium to heavy traffic with a posted limit of 110 km/h. There is fog patches about and it has been raining. The road starts turning through a bend to the left, just on the apex red and blue lights become visible. What should the driver do?

Brake hard to slow down from 110 to 25 could risk skidding / loosing control or be hit by other vehicles traveling behind.

Now I hear you say that they should be driving to the conditions. I challenge anyone who has had to respond to an incident on the SE Freeway to say that ever happens!

Best solution is for enough police to provide traffic control further back to give prior warning of the incident ahead and to allow a progressive reduction of speed. How often do we ever see this able to be done? Even with the current level of 40km/h it is still an issue we have to consider and input risk control measures, this often take the form of crew members being used solely as safety observers looking out and provide a warning should they see a wayward vehicle.

You don't hear me say "They should be driving to the conditions" but you will hear me say "Darcyq, go and read SACFS Operational Bulletin 25/2010 - Road Traffic Management"

Ops Bulletin 25/2010 clearly states that the "Taper Zone" should begin 165m from the Work Zone in a 110 km/h Zone. This is easily achievable with multiple resources on scene. It also states that among other things, weather and road topography must be taken into account, prior to setting up a traffic management zone. Any IC with half a brain should be switched on to this and manage the scene accordingly.

You can't simply park your appliance and expect everything to be fine. Its all about creating safe zones, and acting under the assumption that motorists will not slow down.

If all else fails shut the road until SAPol have enough resources on scene to manage traffic appropriately.
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

misterteddy

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2010, 05:48:12 PM »
honestly, the public is dumb......just put big "25kph when stopped" signs on the back of our vehicles (acknowledging it has no basis in law) and they will (mostly) do as we ask, the dumb ones you can dob into PC Plod for anything you care to come up with..... Call it a Safety campaign, call it Industrial Action (like signs outside the Fire Stations with beds in them when they are in "discussions")...who cares, just do it and move on to something more meaningful

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2010, 07:19:03 PM »
Numbers, your preaching to the converted. All I'm saying is if your on the first arriving appliance and other resources are still enroute, then you don't have the luxury of being able to slow down approaching traffic progressivly.

anything