twitter.com/PremierMikeRann

Premier Mike Rann
Minister for Economic Development
Minister for Social Inclusion
Minister for the Arts
Minister for Sustainability and Climate Change
Tuesday, 11 January 2011

FURTHER SA HELP FOR QUEENSLAND FLOOD VICTIMS

Premier Mike Rann has announced that South Australia is today sending SES crews to assist with the emergency relief, and increasing its contribution to the Queensland Premier’s Flood Appeal to $1 million dollars.

Mr Rann said the thoughts of all South Australians go out to the victims of the floods, which have seen the tragic loss of so many lives, and entire towns devastated.

“The scale of the floods in Queensland is unimaginable, and all Australians have all been shocked by the scale of the destruction,” Mr Rann said.

“Last week, I announced South Australia would kickstart our assistance with $300,000 to the Premier of Queensland’s Flood Appeal.

“As the floods continue to worsen and more towns and lives are so badly affected, I have this  morning contacted Anna Bligh to reiterate our offer to assist in any way we can.

“Today, I have increased our contribution to $1 million dollars, and the SES will be sending a team of 21 to assist the emergency teams working in Queensland.

“Twenty SES volunteers and one staff member will head to Queensland, likely late this afternoon, for a five-day deployment, and we have offered any further assistance as required.

“The SA volunteers have been selected for their expertise in dealing with flash flooding response.

“The volunteers and staff will provide support in areas from Brisbane to Toowoomba, and will be undertaking various tasks to support the Queensland SES in managing the flood and its impact on the communities affected.

“Queensland crews have been extremely busy over the past few weeks, and the severe weather across the state is expected to continue for the foreseeable future. Providing relief for their volunteers is critical.

“Within a couple of hours of putting the call out to our South Australian personnel, we were able to pull together twenty volunteers and one staff member who will provide support to the Queensland State Emergency Service.

“I, along with all South Australians, thank the volunteers for generously giving their time to provide vital assistance in Queensland’s time of need.

“South Australians wanting to make a personal contribution can do so at www.qld.gov.au/floods.

“In Australia, we have a great tradition of joining together in times of disaster, and helping our fellow citizens.

“Poignantly, six years ago to the day, we saw nine South Australians lose their lives in the Wangary bushfires, and at that time, other States came together to offer us assistance as our Eyre Peninsula community came to grips with the tragedy.”

bajdas:
Stay safe....

From http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/11/3110285.htm stating 8 lives lost and 70 missing.

I know of three federal government offices who have closed today due to proximity to the Brisbane River and the king tide expected. The agency is anticipating to loose power of a few days.

rescue5271:
Stay safe guys and girls. VIC SES are no longer sending crews due to flooding in Victoria along the river....

Chinny:
This is a tragedy just unfolding before our eyes! Death toll now at 13 and expected to rise... :cry:

vsteve01:
Parts of brisbane being evac

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/ipad/brisbane-flood-alert-as-wivenhoe-threatens-to-spill-over/story-fn6t2xlc-1225985477271

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version