Author Topic: PTS  (Read 26926 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PTS
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
Oh ok Teddy I was a bit lost on the previous conversation about how degrees teach you facts and the the ability to learn more often than the ability to do a certain task in certain situations.

mine was a classic case of this

Do you think that the Way qualifications these days are seeming to become more important due to liability issues is distorting the way new members and staff are being treated and or the new staff's expectations of the job and role?

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 07:08:02 PM »
Similar in the IT industry as well.

A fresh graduate will not be allowed to take full control of a companies network. They would be started on the help desk phone or maintenance with supervision.

Everyone needs experience which the tertiary institutions do not seem to provide.

absolutely - and neither should anyone fresh into any industry with no experience be stepping straight into those roles.

from a practical perspective it's dangerous, and from a business perspective it could cost you a lot of money in both lost productivity and lost clients because of it!

I can't think of one single industry off the top of my head where you can walk in and instantly walk the walk and talk the talk.....

Tradies spend 4 years as an apprentice for a reason!

Offline disOrderly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 11:28:35 PM »
Being an orderly springs to mind :P 2 days training and off you go!

I must admit, all this talk makes me nervous. I am trying to do as much as is humanly possible to get as much experience in the field before I graduate (at the detriment to other things in my life):

A) So I can hopefully improve my chances of getting an Internship
and B) (more importantly) So that when I finish and I do get an internship I feel more confident in my other skills (communication, driving, SAAS procedures etc) so that I can focus on making sure I can get my Paramedic practice upto scratch.

However I still kind of think I am gonna be looked at as a filtered Graduate who has no idea about anything. There is nothing more I can do to make sure I am better prepared, so how can that be a poor reflection on me? Its kind of like hating someone as soon as you meet them because they barrack for a different footy team than you do. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 11:36:52 PM by disOrderly »
Check out the Australian Healthcare Forums: http://aushealth.forumup.com.au/

misterteddy

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 12:22:05 AM »
Tradies spend 4 years as an apprentice for a reason!

Cos their training is steeped in folklore and history, propped up by union ressistance to change...sound familiar?

The good news is that their training is at least competency based....ie they dont finish till they can do it, which was my point.....just make the universities turn out competent graduates. For those that read the paper....the Govt has recently made changes to the trades and apprentice act....if they are competent before their  time, they finish early - it will never catch on in tertairy education, they would lose too much money

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 12:32:39 AM »
No- the reputation is there because all these kids who have gotten high scores at school to get into one of the more popular degree programs have no idea how to:

1)  keep their mouth shut at the appropriate times, and learn the line between assertion and aggression
2) admit that they are wrong or don't know
3) keep an open mind....the one method you are taught at uni isn't necessarily the only method
4) learn by working diligently and hard
5) understandthat they've just spent 3 years at uni learning all this stuff and only now are they going to start to learn how to be a paramedic.
6) understand that learning points 1,2+3 concurrently and interchangeably takes time.

No Care 1

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2011, 04:55:04 AM »
 :-o
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:02:38 PM by No Care 1 »

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:38 AM »
Being an orderly springs to mind :P 2 days training and off you go!

I must admit, all this talk makes me nervous. I am trying to do as much as is humanly possible to get as much experience in the field before I graduate (at the detriment to other things in my life):

A) So I can hopefully improve my chances of getting an Internship
and B) (more importantly) So that when I finish and I do get an internship I feel more confident in my other skills (communication, driving, SAAS procedures etc) so that I can focus on making sure I can get my Paramedic practice upto scratch.

However I still kind of think I am gonna be looked at as a filtered Graduate who has no idea about anything. There is nothing more I can do to make sure I am better prepared, so how can that be a poor reflection on me? Its kind of like hating someone as soon as you meet them because they barrack for a different footy team than you do. 

I am not in the ambulance industry, but have taken TAFE/Uni students into their first jobs in IT.

I will always treat a new employee with caution, no matter if their resume details a lot of practical experience or none. The potential to close the business for a day because they typed the wrong command on a keyboard or flicked the wrong switch is huge. Too big a risk.

That is why computer rooms are locked.

I assume the same potential to kill, make injuries worse or cause stress to relatives/passerbys/public in a Ambulance environment.

In IT, many times you will be employed on a contract basis first before given full-time employment.

I watch and give basic tasks for the first few weeks to the newbie (grunt is a nickname I use).

When I see the grunt do the basics well, they get more opportunities & trust.

The most dangerous grunt is the one who walks in & goes straight to the server keyboard to see what is happening. Because they know everything because Uni taught them. They normally do not get full-time employment offer and sometimes the contract is shortened.

This bypasses procedures (look at the network/server monitoring system first, read the procedures/memory jogger manual & talk to the HelpDesk staff for background on business impact).

You will be treated with caution when you first start. But if you can do the job & ask questions, caution will disappear quickly has trust develops & you become a team with your co-workers.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline chook

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2011, 08:02:32 AM »
Have to agree with Boardy - both with apprentices & uni graduates - recent experiences with both have high lighted all of those comments. In fact we just lost an apprentice because of those things (wanted to do the good stuff without learning) & I gained a position at a new location over the far more qualified uni guys due to 1)extensive practical experience 2)the ability to actually listen to people!
And while it is true that in most industries you would theoretically move straight into your chosen profession upon graduation just like Andrew said the reality is you are closely watched & supervised (sometimes for years) prior to be left to fly solo!
And whilst I agree that this is disheartening for those who do put in the effort & some of it is based on the ideas of cranky old B******ds who just wont change with the times (eg why is the apprentice the only one who cleans up the workshop? -Well that's the way it was in my day!) until the education system can guarantee that the new graduates can really do the tasks in practice rather than just theory I'm not sure how this can change? In a way it is sad for the professions & sad for the new entries as well but that is just the way it is! Finally having changed jobs/ sites numerous times its not just new entries who face a 'testing" period :wink: I have never walked into a new worksite, unit, squadron or company & have been welcomed with open arms & given the keys to everything. Human nature I guess!
Ken
just another retard!

Offline amboman69

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 11:13:38 AM »
Does anyone know of any casual PTS positions coming up this year? I heard there is a move to private ambulance companies supposedly happening before june so what is going to happen with SAAS patient transport?

Wow - hasn't the thread changed somewhat since the initial question  :-D

Don't ya just love forums - just like having a conversation in the front bar after work.

Offline disOrderly

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »
That's the thing about this forum, it'll end up heading into one of 4 directions:

1) how bad/dodgy private PTS companies are
2) how bad Paramedic grads are
3) how slack the SES are
4) CFS using K-Codes

:P
Check out the Australian Healthcare Forums: http://aushealth.forumup.com.au/

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2011, 10:45:41 PM »
you mean - there's forums in this World-Wide-Web that don't slag, sling mud, hang $hit on other users or generally just start bad rumours?

...how boring!

No Care 1

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 07:16:28 AM »
From today's news letter

"recent review of the Ambulance Cover Terms and Conditions has resulted in some changes to the conditions; the main one being with regard to non-emergency ambulance transport.  The subscriber will not have to pay for the cost of non-emergency ambulance transport if:
• the service is provided by SA Ambulance Service (SAAS), or
• the ambulance transport originates in another State or Territory and is provided by a recognised interstate ambulance service, or
for a transport service originating in South Australia, if:
SAAS directs or requests another person to provide non-emergency ambulance transport,"

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:03:19 PM by No Care 1 »

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 05:10:32 PM »
simply closing a loophole so they can't get stung by one of the privates-  again...

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 12:46:11 PM »
As a long time subscriber, SAAS should recognise their subscribers for their continued support and not take advantage of them. It also pays part there of your wages as well. Victoria, NSW and other states recognise the support of long time subscriber. Why not SAAS? And the PTS clause about other person doing PTS is about filtered time as this service is slipping back into old habits. But not give the work to that small volunteer group. :-)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
From today's staff news letter

"recent review of the Ambulance Cover Terms and Conditions has resulted in some changes to the conditions; the main one being with regard to non-emergency ambulance transport.  The subscriber will not have to pay for the cost of non-emergency ambulance transport if:
• the service is provided by SA Ambulance Service (SAAS), or
• the ambulance transport originates in another State or Territory and is provided by a recognised interstate ambulance service, or
for a transport service originating in South Australia, if:
SAAS directs or requests another person to provide non-emergency ambulance transport,"

Last line sounds interesting. Sceptic in me would say its sounds like SAAS/Health is paving the way for outsourcing some of its PTS work just like Ambulance Victoria and now NSW Ambulance does?

I am confused (nothing unusual).
Does this mean if my Dad is transported from a hospital to a home by a non-SAAS PTS that the home has organised, his Ambulance Insurance will not cover the cost ?
Even if we have no say in who provides the service ?
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 01:45:52 PM »
best bet wait until it comes out in black and white policy and not read into it on this forum.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »
I am confused (nothing unusual).
Does this mean if my Dad is transported from a hospital to a home by a non-SAAS PTS that the home has organised, his Ambulance Insurance will not cover the cost ?
Even if we have no say in who provides the service ?

If he is SAAS subscriber & the home chooses to use another PTS, correct.

Might depend on whether the home has a clause in their contract stating that
they do not use SAAS, and/or whether he has made it clear in writing that SAAS
is his only acceptable PTS provider. If there's no such clause in the home's
contract, and he has advised them in writing, he might be able to reject the
bill. Especially if he were in no fit state to recognise that the PTS wasn't
SAAS, & refuse the transfer.

If his ambulance cover is a benefit of a general health insurance fund, the
criteria is usually that the ambulance/PTS transfer be required on medical
grounds, in which case the fund probably doesn't care which PTS provides the
service. Cheaper ones preferred...

HTH
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline amboman69

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
Might depend on whether the home has a clause in their contract stating that
they do not use SAAS, and/or whether he has made it clear in writing that SAAS
is his only acceptable PTS provider.

Every NH patient that I have ever met has an information book with all relevant medical/personal/contact details - including ambulance cover number.  If that was there, I would say the NH would be obliged to use SAAS as their transport provider - regardless of NH preference.

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2011, 11:46:33 PM »
The nursing home is obliged to do what is best for their resident.  If they are covered by the ambulance fund, and SAAS can get them to their appointment on time and exercise patient care, then great.

But if they can't make it, why couldn't SAPS transport, get the patient to their destination sooner, and not have them miss their appointment and get booted from the clinic.

FYI,
A nursing home would never allow a patient to be transported by a private AS and then be charged personally for the service, nor would the private ambulance service bill the patient...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 08:25:44 AM »

But if they can't make it, why couldn't SAPS transport, get the patient to their destination sooner, and not have them miss their appointment and get booted from the clinic.

And what's wrong with IMS?

Oh that's right....it's been a while.....time for you to start banging the Paramedical Services drum again.........

Seriously- we're not that interested in a bit of free marketing for your employer.......perhaps kudos for trying but it got boring a long time ago!  Give it up!

No Care 1

« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2011, 01:56:43 PM »
Good to see the forum return to it's roots, private companies slagging each other off.

Offline MedBoy

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2011, 07:38:45 PM »
Bored Matrix seems to like to bag almost all, with one obvious omission...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »
Bored Matrix seems to like to bag almost all, with one obvious omission...

Lol.

Nope...I've had my thing to say about IMS as well in the past if you'd care to hunt back through.

misterteddy

« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2011, 12:39:10 AM »
yeh....I'm happy to stick up for Boredy.....he does slag everyone equally  :lol:

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
Lol...thanks for the vote of confidence....I think!   :evil:

Although I don't think i've had crack at you yet have I? 
 :-P