Author Topic: CFS using K-codes  (Read 45753 times)

Offline Mic10110

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« on: January 21, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
also (via online scanning) heard TTG CFS using K-codes for the rekindle

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 05:09:24 PM »

*sigh*
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 08:26:14 PM »

*sigh*

Having trouble finding a care gland? :evil:

Offline 6739264

• Forum Captain
  • RETARD RETARD RETARD Need I say more?
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 12:23:29 PM »

*sigh*

I've got one... its just always empty!
To think they employed me as a drooling retard...

Offline J Squared

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 08:52:23 AM »
I could be missing something here, but why cant the cfs use k codes? Its the professional thing to do isnt it and it makes communicating with adl fire easy and accurate?

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 10:55:52 AM »
What exactly is the purpose of codes?

I notice that many of  MFS sitreps back to Adelaide fire use the relevant K codes...and then say what the code means....so it isn't shortening the message.

If you don't use codes all the time, it is very easy to forget them... numerous people are awful on the radio now..imagine them starting to talk, stop, keep the finger on the PTT button, while they look up a code for what they want......!   Plain English is much easier (although some even struggle with that!)

Police use codes  - and they are used all the time..... although when a code that is rarely used comes up, patrols are having to go to the cheat sheet to work out what it is....

From a police perspective, codes are great, as you have a large number of people on the same radio talkgroup, with different task to do.  You learn very quickly to listen for the codes that relate to your task.

On a CFS radio pretty much all of those on the radio are going to do the same thing!

I think codes have their place, but CFS is not that place!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline J Squared

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 06:48:40 AM »
i completely understand that many struggle when a radio is put in their hands (i personally found i put on a 'radio' voice), but there are only a handful of k codes that are really relevant to tasks the cfs face. I still believe they are useful and its not too hard to memorise a few codes

misterteddy

CFS using K-codes
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 07:45:17 AM »
i completely understand that many struggle when a radio is put in their hands (i personally found i put on a 'radio' voice), but there are only a handful of k codes that are really relevant to tasks the cfs face. I still believe they are useful and its not too hard to memorise a few codes

oh what a lovely condescending view you have of CFS....we should be so greatful that you chose to spare time to deliver such platitudes

FYI - Many of us in the CFS particularly those of us on the urban fringe have just as broad a range of firefighting tasks presented to us as our cousins in blue have, with the possible exception of pressure sores from uncomfortable beds on night shifts.

As for K codes..... why the hell do u use them, you have an MDT. Move out of the 1960s/1970s...technology...and even the CFS move on.  :mrgreen:

As for CFS using them....as Pip says, because many CFS types don't use a radio often (or if they do its a CB type), they struggle with basic RT skills. Making it more complicated isnt a wise move - some struggle with plain language

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
CFS using K-codes
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 09:17:03 AM »
One very important "K" code for CFS,and it's normally is an inclusive one....such as "OH NO were ---K-- now", or "the fire has jumped the ---K--- track", this style of "K" code although not accepted by the management has been in use by volunteers for years.
Upon hearing of this "K" code it is universally understood that fire activity has elevated, or something out of the ordinary has occured and requires urgent attention!

Happy to help! JAFF
Just Another Filtered Fireman

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CFS using K-codes
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
As for CFS using them....as Pip says, because many CFS types don't use a radio often (or if they do its a CB type), they struggle with basic RT skills. Making it more complicated isnt a wise move - some struggle with plain language

If we're working on the theory that "if most volunteers can't get their heads around it we should do it", then we may as well drop Rescue and Hazmat and Compartment Fire, and all those other more complex things we need to learn...

just sayin'

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »

And that is the problem...only a few codes to memorise...that's easy...until you come across something that is different.... and either don't use the code, or have to go looking at your cheat sheet for them...which defeats the whole purpose of having the K codes in the first place!!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline J Squared

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 10:30:40 AM »
"oh what a lovely condescending view you have of CFS....we should be so greatful that you chose to spare time to deliver such platitudes"
???

Dont patronise me, im not trying to be arrogant. My CFS station finds itself positioned completely in the urban area so we too see a wide ragne of jobs, but how any k codes do you actually use? we mainly use k 1-5 and k 55-99? so you cant sit there and tell me you use all of the k codes (k 40 for example) As jaff stated they are a universally recognised form of communication and when you are on the way to an incident that the mfs arrive to first, it is always helpful knowing what is happening before you actually arrive at the incident.

I getting the idea that many dont like the codes, but there really isnt that many to get your head around, and im upset that some view them as not appropriate for the cfs, but i believe we should try and be as professional as possible and learning k codes is no different to learning how to operate the radio itself

Offline J Squared

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »

*sigh*

I've got one... its just always empty!

sorry but the guys ragging on TTG using the k codes....really? i fail to see how this affects you in any way at all? as long as they are used accurately it shouldnt be your problem.

Offline COBB

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2011, 10:47:12 AM »
J Squared,
Maybe you need to refer to SOP 7.1

Radio Communications
• All personnel (CFS or SAMFS) when operating on CFS frequencies shall do so in accordance with CFS Standard Operational Procedures (K Codes are not to be used by CFS resources).
• All crews (CFS or SAMFS) when operating on MFS frequencies shall do so in accordance with MFS Standard Operational Procedures for Communication (K Codes are not to be used by CFS resources).

misterteddy

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2011, 11:49:13 AM »
Dont patronise me,

oh no..I'm not patronising you....my sarcasm would never allow it

pumprescue

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2011, 11:56:18 AM »
Its just old mate Chappy again, doing the same thing he has done since 198godknowswhen....we just laugh and move on....

Offline Skippy

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »
No point of codes for CFS when everything has been working fine for the last few decades the way it is.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »
No point of codes for CFS when everything has been working fine for the last few decades the way it is.

:lol:   :lol:  thus we should never try anything new or use newer technology....   :roll:
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
I have a Foundation license for Amateur Radio which I do not use much. Certainly not enough to be confident with using all of the international Q codes.

Thus I use longer radio transmissions to make sure my message is accurate to the recipient, rather than risk using the wrong Q code.

Personally, I would hate to accidentally use a wrong K code at an incident.

But then I am in a different service in which we have enough issues using pro-words correctly. That includes me.

For me the purpose of radio is to pass information accurately.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 01:09:38 PM »
This arguement has been going on for years, quite simple the Chief Officer SOP's state not, to so end of story.Move on :-D
Images are copyright

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
This arguement has been going on for years, quite simple the Chief Officer SOP's state not, to so end of story.Move on :-D

If the Chief's SOPs told you to jump off a cliff, would you do that too? :-P

Offline SA Firey

• Forum Group Officer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »

Hey don't shoot the messenger, we have a GO who enforces it :-P
Images are copyright

misterteddy

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »

I'm pretty sure i saw the draft FGP for this and the Chief is alleged to have referred to a committee for a decision..... The CFS Lemming Mod is yet to be released into SOPS I think

pumprescue

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »
The Chief doesn't sign off on them, they just put his electronic john hancock on everything...

Offline Darcyq

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
Just because some brigades choose to follow SOP's and not use K-codes does not make them unprofessional! I'm ex military, and we were trained in the importance of clear concise radio transmissions, no codes were used then and I doubt if they are now. The importance of the basic radio transmission rules for a military application are just as relevant for the CFS, why introduce additional confusion or doubt. It just provides further opportunity to mess up.