Author Topic: OT Private - Industrial Paramedic & Pre-Hospital Care  (Read 18462 times)

Offline saambo

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
OT Private - Industrial Paramedic & Pre-Hospital Care
« on: February 15, 2011, 07:54:52 PM »
Hi All,

Has anyone had any interaction with OT Private?
The HQ is located in Port Adelaide and also a Melbourne office.
They provide On-site Health Centres, First Aid and Emergency Response.
Attached is picture of EMR Vehicle. 

Enjoy! :)

No Care 1

Re: OT Private - Industrial Paramedic & Pre-Hospital Care
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 05:11:22 AM »
A per previous posts on this forum they provide occupational health services to industry and event medical work, consultation ect. They currently provide medical services to the desalination plant build, I believe several of the posters to the forum work for them as industrial paramedics or nurses.

Offline straps

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:21:43 AM »
Interesting that they have red / blues on the roof..???
Unless my eyes deceive me...???

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
if a vehicle is used only on private land they can have whatever they like on the roof.....

Still trying to work out how St Jacks get away with Red and Blues......

No Care 1

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 10:47:11 AM »
if a vehicle is used only on private land they can have whatever they like on the roof.....

That's because the Johnie's are a "Ambulance service" as per SA Legislation or to quote their current annual report:

“pursuant to sections 57 (l) (c),
58 (l) (d) of the Health Care
Act 2008, … exempt St John
Ambulance Australia South
Australia Incorporated, from the
application of Part 6 – Division 2,
and Division 3 section 59 of the
Act, in relation to non-emergency
ambulance services at events
which the organization is in
official attendance on duty and
emergency ambulance services
and on conditions specified in
Column C of the Schedule”.

All non emergency transport licence holders are able to have reds/blues siren ect if they have a high acuity non emergency transport licence. Some of the other NEPT companies in Adelaide don't have a high acuity licence or have chosen not to have beacons or use yellow warning ones only.

I guess the whole disaster back thing also comes into it. And the one 1970's glass rotating beacon on a transit van isnt that professional looking anyway :)

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:49 AM »
St Jacks have a high-acuity non-emergency licence?

aren't there any conditions on this licencing....like having a certain level of staff quality and qualifications?

Offline saambo

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 11:27:04 AM »
I have some questions regarding usuage of beacons and sirens by Ambulance groups.
What about EMT Ambulance Service?
I have noticed there trucks have red / blue flashers and sirens.
Do they have a high-acuity non-emergency licence?
What is the difference between them and private NEPT operators in Adelaide?
What is the difference between SAAS ATS and EMT as they both cater to NEPT duties and the right too having such warning devices?

Thanks again :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:29:55 AM by saambo »

No Care 1

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:59:02 AM »
St Jacks have a high-acuity non-emergency licence?

aren't there any conditions on this licencing....like having a certain level of staff quality and qualifications?

Good question BoredM

From reading the above statement from the Saint Johnie's annual report it appears they have been given exemption from the whole licence requirements (but others on here may be able to answer that one better). I understand St John train their staff to First aid then to Certificate II First Response with option to upgrade to Cert III and Cert IV.

I guess SAAS PTS have reds & blues and sirens and they are governed now by the same non emergency regulations as the privates. Having said that there are some obvious differences. For example the Private companies must follow protocols set up SA Health including drug protocols (which exceed the current SAAS PTS protocols and equipment carried by SAAS PTS).
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 07:56:37 PM by No Care 1 »

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »

I guess SAAS PTS have reds & blues and sirens and they are governed now by the same non emergency regulations as the privates. Having said that there are some obvious differences. For example the Private companies must follow protocols set up SA Health including drug protocols (which exceed the current SAAS PTS protocols and equipment carried by SAAS PTS).

er - no.  All SAAS operational vehicles need to have the ability for an emergency response.

Offline saambo

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
So does that mean in an Emergency we could put a stretcher in this vehicle? :P

misterteddy

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 04:26:28 PM »
stop trolling SAAmbo....as you very well know, response does not necessarily mean transport, so the BRU transporter well and truly qualifies

Everyone that needed to be consulted regarding the red and blues was, as well as the reason for having them vice a flashing amber. Look elsewhere for the scandals, maybe a little closer to home

Back to on topic - OT Private is a SA company which as well as the Desal Plant contract, also have a partnership with EMC Rescue to provide Paramedic Services to a mine out of Whyalla

No Care 1

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 05:10:30 PM »
Scandal in the ambulance/pre hospital industry ? That wouldn't happen would it ? Lol

By all accounts OT private has done well in regards to clinical care, set up and a good working relationship with SAAS. Just proves public and private can work together if done right and no cutting corners.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 05:19:57 PM by No Care 1 »

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2011, 06:25:57 PM »
A couple or so years ago, EMTs were asked to remove the red/blue lights as they were not an emergency ambulance service. They defied the odds and got to keep the lights. It is a pity that the DTEI manager did not persue it more and had their licence pulled altogether.Comment removed.:roll:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:58:44 PM by excelcare »

Offline saambo

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »
Excel saying that the EMTs may someday end up killing a patient is a very strong statement unless you can back your claim of clinical incompetence you should refrain from stating such things on this forum. I understand people have concerns about this group but they are monitored by SA Health officials who do review all case cards and investigate serious medical treatment incompetencies.
There Executive meets often with the Health Ministers office and must comply with such directions given by the Minsiter. This includes contacting SAAS when a patients condition deteriorates maintaing life support until SAAS arrival and too seek permission for activating of warning devices. Again I am aware others do not agree with the way EMT operate but be assured they are closely monitored at all times any mistakes and there licence is GONE! I just hope a life is not lost for any changes too happen both clinical / training development and operating procedures. End rant :)

Offline straps

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2011, 07:17:15 PM »
Wow..!!!
I forgot how much vitriolism exists underneath the festering sores that some carry....

My reason for asking was
1) that 'many' industrial based fleet tend to have orange / amber warning lights
and
2) that anecdotally I have heard of several organisations having to 'cover up' or 'not have visible' their red / blue lights when on public roadways...

As for the other stuff mentioned above, get a room (or another thread..!!!)

Straps

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2011, 07:38:20 PM »
One day they may end up killing a patient, then where will they be? :roll:

Er.......the coroners court

They are as accountable as any other health care service - be they volunteer, private company, government based or otherwise........

I think the words DUE DILIGENCE, while being hidden by maligned ego's or greed- will eventually come back to bite those who lose focus on patient care.

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2011, 09:14:04 PM »
Excel saying that the EMTs may someday end up killing a patient is a very strong statement unless you can back your claim of clinical incompetence you should refrain from stating such things on this forum. I understand people have concerns about this group but they are monitored by SA Health officials who do review all case cards and investigate serious medical treatment incompetencies.
There Executive meets often with the Health Ministers office and must comply with such directions given by the Minsiter. This includes contacting SAAS when a patients condition deteriorates maintaing life support until SAAS arrival and too seek permission for activating of warning devices. Again I am aware others do not agree with the way EMT operate but be assured they are closely monitored at all times any mistakes and there licence is GONE! I just hope a life is not lost for any changes too happen both clinical / training development and operating procedures. End rant :)

Saambo, this group has had a big grudge against SJ and SAAS for the past 2 decades and do not want to move forwards while certain members are in control e.g. certain forum member. enough said. They cater for the low socio-economic public and I think that the statuatory service should be free for these people like it is in other Australian states/territories. enough said.  
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 09:53:15 PM by excelcare »

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2011, 09:19:13 PM »

BM SJ vehicles are registered as a response vehicle under the road traffic act and still continues on from the OLD acts as I remember seeing on SAAS paperwork in very fine print that SAAS is a subsidiary of the St John Council. Not sure if it is still there though.

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2011, 10:19:58 PM »

BM SJ vehicles are registered as a response vehicle under the road traffic act and still continues on from the OLD acts as I remember seeing on SAAS paperwork in very fine print that SAAS is a subsidiary of the St John Council. Not sure if it is still there though.

since the new health care act was introduced - all ties to St Jacks is gone.

Somehow though I think that a certain commissioner of the grand lodge of bunnies is just going to continue on his merry way and hope that no-one has really noticed that he's stuck in 1989 and St jacks do still run the ambulance service.  

oh and while we're at it....if this can be counted as an attempt at keeping this on track-

have heard nothing but good stuff about OTP - even amoung all the $hit that's been getting thrown around in the media about the DeSal Plant there has not been one mention of shoddy Health Services.  Good work you quiet achieving boys and girls..you know who you are!

« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:02:53 PM by boredmatrix »

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2011, 07:44:52 AM »
Bored M, the subsidiary no longer appears on subscription renewal forms. You are correct in what you have said.

Offline aussiemedic

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 02:50:10 PM »

Saambo, this group has had a big grudge against SJ and SAAS for the past 2 decades and do not want to move forwards while certain members are in control e.g. certain forum member. enough said. They cater for the low socio-economic public and I think that the statuatory service should be free for these people like it is in other Australian states/territories. enough said.  
[/quote]

Just because people come from or belong to a low socio-economic sub-set of the population does not mean that they should be subject to what at time may be questionable pre-hospital care. In a compassionate modern society these people should be able to have access to free quality assured PROFESSIONAL and QUALIFIED responders as mentioned by Saambo.

misterteddy

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 03:30:29 PM »

Just because people come from or belong to a low socio-economic sub-set of the population does not mean that they should be subject to what at time may be questionable pre-hospital care. In a compassionate modern society these people should be able to have access to free quality assured PROFESSIONAL and QUALIFIED responders as mentioned by Saambo.

1. Preview your post and learn to quote please...it's a common forum etiquette thing

2. Off topic rants could at least be put somewhere closer to the topic. If not, Mods could you please delete the post

cheers

Offline excelcare

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
What happened to Blackfoot's comment. Very interesting!!! :mrgreen:

Offline boredmatrix

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2011, 12:37:16 AM »
The same thing that happens to Most of his comments......common sense and the risk of someone taking some kind of civilmaction for slander :evil:

kyliem

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
Hi All,
Re Private NEPT operators.
In Victoria the NEPT providers are licensed for Low, Medium and High acuity patient transport. There is also provision for NEPT operators to do only Stand-by duties or all the above.
Minimum crew levels are: PTO ambulances do only 'Low Acuity', PTO + Ambulance Transport Attendant (AA) do Low and Medium Acuity whereas PTO and AA with 'Para'/Critical Care Nurse do High Acuity.
The purpose of the NEPT is to meant to provide the public with appropriate  non-urgent patient transport services thus allowing the Emerg Ambulance to do exactly they are trained to do.
Red and Blue or Red only Lights and Sirens are fitted to NEPT vehicles for the purpose of Occupational Health and Safety of crews and safety of patients should the unthinkable occurs. Some NEPT providers are contracted to the State Government Ambulance Service (AV) to carry out NEPT transports. Having said all the above, all vehicles are fully equipped and staffed to handle just about anything that is required out there on the road. Further, for those that don't see the light (pardon the pun) each and every ambulance is available and be called for DISPLAN.
Consider the fact that a NEPT provider in Adelaide has called SAAS for assistance (as per regulations) which vehicle would they look for amongst the many roadside Amber flashing lights (the Red or Red and Blue of course) And if they are called upon to assist in a major incident out bush don't you think the added assistance of Code 2 (use lights and sirens when necessary) would be the correct procedure. Nobody wants to appear in the Coroners Court because they failed to be seen or was unable to get a patient to a hospital that was five or 10 minutes away. Do they. Regards
KylieM|