General Discussion > SASES

make sense much??

(1/4) > >>

boredmatrix:
STATE Emergency Service workers could be paid in a set-up similar to the Army Reserve under a proposal floated yesterday designed to boost volunteer numbers.

Emergency response to recent wild weather, including Cyclone Yasi and flash flooding, was hindered by not enough volunteer workers turning out when called upon.

Townsville City Council's Community Safety chairman Cr Dale Last said the volunteer group should begin paying its people to ensure they were ready and able in our darkest hour of need.

Cr Last said Cyclone Yasi highlighted the fact the service needed more members.

"The problem we are experiencing is people are now time-poor and a lot of other organisations are in the same boat with people struggling to give up their time," he said.

He said payment would make the ailing service more attractive to join.

"It would provide some form of remuneration and provide incentive for people to join and we need more people, there's no question about that," he said.

SES local controller Joyce Scorey said she was happy with the service's response during the recent wild weather.

"Overall, we did very well I think the only issues with that was the public expectation that the SES can do anything and everything," she said.

"However we were a bit thin on the ground, which is normal for this time of year."

"We had teams ready together within hours of the cyclone crossing the coast."

Ms Scorey said while the prospect of being paid for their work would entice new members to the services, it wouldn't necessarily bring with it a higher level of recruit.

"I think it will have a detrimental effect," she said.

Cr Last, who is also the Local Disaster Management Group chairman , urged the State Government to get behind the call.

"It's been the subject of previous discussion, but I think in the wash-up of all the disasters Queensland has experienced this year, I think it's something that should be discussed," he said.

Emergency Services Minister Neil Roberts said he preferred the SES remained a volunteer organisation.

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2011/03/17/215741_news.html

chook:
Make sense? not sure. Maybe it was an indication of what happens when some people decide that SES should become a downgraded junior partner in a "super" organisation?
Maybe some sought of payment may attract more members but surveys in other states indicate that it would also drive other members away!
Maybe they should look at better funding of equipment, training & the reinstating of the QLD SES as a proper emergency service in the eyes of the community instead of being a sub branch of EMQ (QFRS)?
You reap waht you sow I guess  :wink:

bajdas:
Fully agreed with Chook's comments.... I know it was discussed previously, but would payment to the business supporting any emergency service volunteer assist (eg training time & leave to do training) during a working week ?

I believe this is currently offered for USAR Cat II course.

Pipster:
Dunno if paying volunteers for their emergency service work would necessarily fix issues with lack of crews, however, compensating employers, to let their people go might (perhaps if members received their normal pay, which their employer would be compensated for), might assist with responses to large scale disasters..?

Pip

Alan J:
Am with Pip
We have the least affordable housing in the world (or so the papers tell us)
so leave without pay for extended ops isn't an option for many vols.

Leave with pay hits the employer with a double whammy - paying their employee for work they are not doing, plus losing the income that employee should have been generating. Want to spend 5 days in Qld or NZ shovelling mud & debris???... do it on your own time & expense.

High time the community started paying for the service it expects through an income support system like ADF reserves or similar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version