Author Topic: New 14  (Read 11765 times)

Offline medevac

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: New 14
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2005, 10:47:40 PM »
HAHAHAHA lol

bit before my time, but i remember several stories about a lot of fire trucks pumps vaporising on ash wednesday... good move going back to the old tech... not.

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 03:25:15 PM »
The good old Ford F350 14's with a petrol pump where such a cool truck!!!!

They where fast and agile on the fire ground and you could do alot with them especially first arrival at a running grassy.

But once it got really hot like above 35 degrees and the pump had been running for a while on the fire ground we where always worried about vapour lock.

Hope the new stuff does not have this concern. But anything is better than the single cylinder diesel pumps they strapped on the Canter 14's - those pumps are unsafe! Too Noisy and under powered.

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
    • Quik Corp - the reel experts
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2005, 10:55:04 AM »
The petrol engines that were fitted were done for a reason, - lighter weight, cheaper, better performance, quieter than diesel, only thing is the reliability question (and petrol and fire grounds)- to the CFS credit, and after a lot of work by volunteers, they decided to upgrade to diesel.

The question of volunteer safety is always uppermost in the CFS decision making, just some times they do better than other times. :-)

So hopefully not to long to wait till the roll out of the 14's.

Andrew
It is not what you did wrong, but who you can blame!

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 08:27:22 AM »
4 of the 8 appalinces have been delivered. Initial feed back seems good. The rest will be out next week.

strikeathird

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 05:36:41 PM »
Ahh good. I believe the diesel choice is a credit to the CFS.  And I think a thankyou needs to go to Andrew for being so open, and forthcoming about everytyhing.  Really helps when some one "in the know" can provide factual information.

8-)

Offline Andrew

• Forum Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2005, 05:59:17 PM »
some news.

I have given notice at Moore Engineering and will be moving on to QLD. I have been offered a job with Quik Spray, on the sunshine coast.

I will miss all the people I have gotten to know through my work and through my 20+ years with the SES (surprise if you did not know, I am deputy controller with Murray Bridge SES).

I will be contactable via e mail, so any urgent questions I am still happy to try and help.

It was not an easy choice, but the life style and my new job was more than I could pass up.

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 07:15:25 AM »
Sad to hear you are moving on Andrew.
Im sure everyone here will agree when I say thankyou for the time you have put into the design and manufacturing, and more so, the explanations to us about the new appliances.
I'll miss working with you on the next lot of storms that come through your way!!!! lol

had a brief look at one of the 14's the other day. Very nice appliance
(and I dont even like canters all that much!) specially like the remote control on the hose reel..... cool!
The boys took it on out the day before and gave good feedback on the pump (noise and pressure) foam induction system (neat bypass valve - hopefully stop foam in tank). the never ending battle for locker space though, good layout of gear.

Goodluck in your new endeavors, hope everything goes well. We'll miss ya!  :cry:

anything