Technical Discussion > Hypotheticals

Structure Fire Entanglement Hazard

<< < (2/14) > >>

Darcyq:
"....considering the training provided to CFS."

Exactly, this has long been my concern. What does MFS have in place in regard to "Rapid Intervention Teams". There are some very interesting articles on FireEngineering.com about what various US fire services are doing in relation to rescuing trapped fire fighters. I think about what we have in place and it comes down to a couple of Hooligan tools and axes, but if your lucky and one of the brigades attending might also be RCR they might have airbags.

Yes, we have a policy that states there must be two BA members ready to go in whenever there are BA crews inside, but how many are trained to carryout a rescue using these tools in a structural context or know how to make a forced entry, or more importantly a forced egress should the primary entry point become blocked.

I would be interested in seeing some stats on how often internal BA crews get into difficulty (lost, entangled, injured) in Australian fire services compared to what seems to be happening in the US.

Interested to hear your thoughts.

As for this scenario, I wouldn't be going in without a radio. A MAYDAY call quickly gets every bodies attention and you can then tell the OIC the reason for the Mayday and details such as amount of air supply left, injuries, etc. so that they can start managing and resourcing the rescue without wasting time or your air supply.

Alan (Big Al):
yeah have to wonder what state the BA system within the CFS is like when a brigade captain is told by supposed people in the know (dont know who they are) that a backup crew isnt required when going into a building that theres nothing wrong with a team going in alone without backup there or on the way  :|

bittenyakka:
Well everyone has stated what i would do. but as for the training issue.

I would propose that CFS doesn't train to think beyond the straight and narrow. eg why don't we learn on our BA course to start grabong axes, haligans and other tools to be ready. it is jsut Get ba set and hose and guideline...

6739264:
Good discussion so far, although it'd be great to hear a little more about how you work through the Hazard with whats in your gear. I know we have one man that carries a knife, anyone else?

Additionally, if you hear a DSU set off and are outside, what are you thinking about? What course of action do you take?

Great pickup on the training areas, can you guess why I started this thread yet?

I'll let this run for a bit longer before I throw my $0.02 into the mix

tft:
A knife, that will not help too much.
Now if you had a Leatherman will Pliers, it might help some more.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version