Author Topic: the training CFS misses  (Read 7473 times)

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
the training CFS misses
« on: May 10, 2011, 02:00:11 PM »
In the thread in "hypotheticals" there is much discussion about the fact we aren’t trained to get out of entanglements in burning buildings.  I agree with this but I had a discussion with a Lt in my brigade who claimed that we missed bushfire training and that lots of us would have no idea what to do in a really bad fire. There is truth to that.

I then asked how do you train people to fight bushfire and the answer I got started with “well I used to light amazing burn offs but now I am not allowed to any more …….” 
So has CFS neglected rural/bushfire training and if so how should we train for rural fire fighting?

Please keep this thread for rural firefighting we can start another one for otehr skill sets.

Offline Raven

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: the training CFS misses
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 12:11:04 PM »
I'm relatively new, I only joined CFS Feb last year, and I've been finding things that I merely don't know how to do, or how to do properly.

I personally think burn offs should be trained in an official capacity, maybe with the Suppress Wildfire, or even a separate course. I was taught how to do it by a member of my brigade, at a burn off we conducted, even though this was alright, I just think it should be done on a more professional level, and so that there's proof you're competent on what to do.
F/F Sellicks Beach, Kyeema Group.

pumprescue

Re: the training CFS misses
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:55:56 PM »
One of the big issues in CFS is the ever widening gap between the urban/rural CFS and the rural CFS, CFS almost need to offload the top 20 brigades to SAMFS and all of a sudden CFS would be much easier to manage and you would have less issues as the top 20 would get the training and equipment they need and the rest won't get the training they don't need or indeed don't want.

anything