Author Topic: What would you do and what would the public expect??  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Shiner

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
What would you do and what would the public expect??
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:40:07 PM »
MFS: *CFSRES INC037 20/06/11 12:47,RESPOND STORM DAMAGE,224 NICOL RD,MEADOWS MAP 202 J 16,ROOF STARTING TO LIFT FROM HOUSE. - LIZ,0411 XXX XXX, P2,STR029 - SES Strathalbyn

Have just seen the above page come in - interested to know what you would do as an OIC of a responding unit to this - could be CFS/SES etc??

I don't know the area but am assuming it is residential or semi-rural from the street address.

I am also assuming seeing as it is blowing a hoolie here in Murray Bridge that it would be also doing so in the hills.

I would not be expecting any of my crew to place themselves anywhere downwind from the structure or possibly in the structure (maybe depending if it is a brick/solid construction or a lightweight?).

There would be little could or should be done to stop the roof from breaking free??

Is it a case of looking at exposures eg next door property and seeing if anything in the way could be moved/saved (although this puts people in the downwind situation) - or would that be a task you would ask SAPOL to do (if they were onsite)?

On the flip side, what would the resident be expecting to happen when the appliance turns up??
Somehow rope the roof?
Empty the house?
Retrieve pets etc?
Move everything out of the shed?
Herd the sheep/cows/horses to a safe location?

Jason
Swanport Group DGO - Region 3
Jervois CFS Brigade - "Home of the Original Hooker!"

Offline Andrew K

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do and what would the public expect??
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 02:38:30 PM »
depending on conditions generally at my unit we can rope it down, and not have to get near to it or on it as we have a sling shot and throw lines to set ropes with. and could set picket holdfasts for anchors if needed.

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What would you do and what would the public expect??
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:05:10 PM »
The standard call taker in SES SCC would advise the person to CONSIDER (we cant order them) to switch off power at the fuse box, warn others in area and prepare to get out of the building to a relative/friends house.

We also try to determine if the household power from house to street wires are affected. If so, ETSA is notified to assess disconnecting from street pole.

Telephone wires are not so much of a risk, but can be dangerous recoil if snapped.

I suspect people many stay & wait...but debris falling through the ceiling if the roof did lift off with exposed wiring is dangerous.

Hopefully the emergency crew in Uniform can advise them. You have a lot of influence when you stand in uniform in front of them. This includes calming the people, visually asses any health issues (cuts, heart, stress, disabilities, etc).

I am not sure if crews would have time during a storm to door-knock other places that could be affected if the roof came off by where it would land.

A few calls last night described constructed roof debris landing 20m away from the original house and then broken debris beyond that.

The other aspect is to determine 'what is the roof made of' & what insulation is in the ceiling....if asbestos involved & broken....a new set of OHS&W risks to crew & the public.

My personal opinion only
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.