Author Topic: entrapment  (Read 14405 times)

rescue5271

entrapment
« on: October 11, 2005, 06:35:00 AM »
I hear that there are new guidelines for entrapment on the fire appliances??? does anyone have a copy as we have not seen it yet and I would like to have a read. i understand that one of the rules was that all brigade members must be trainned in this ASAP  and it put on your TAS sheet. We do this training most years but I would like to see us do it tghis year using our 34 and our pumper,yes pumper has they also go on strike teams and I would like to see hoe the guys deal with it...

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: entrapment
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2005, 09:18:22 AM »
???

have not heard of any actual CFS training courses for entrapment procedures (other than BA type stuff)

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2005, 11:28:52 AM »
We have recieved the package and will be training everyone on it over the next few weeks. It is very in depth.

strikeathird

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2005, 12:06:41 PM »
Yea, its a package involving how to take cover / operate in a burn over situation, as well as Dead Man zone.  Quite in depth and I was informed is a "Must" to be trained in before the fire season.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2005, 02:22:52 PM »
lets see if it makes it to every firefighter

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• Forum Senior Firefighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 11:11:22 PM »
we did it a few weeks ago, and we also are starting to try and incorporate it into our training sessions so it keeps us all aware of what to do
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 06:40:29 PM »
I havne't seen the new package... Whats new in it? Any new drastic changes, or is it just the same old burnover procedures as an accredited course?

Offline TillerMan

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 10:05:25 AM »
It's pretty much the same old same old but it has to be done as one of the findings into project pheonix.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 03:46:02 PM »
i know theres too much crap already..

but perhaps, from a saftey point of view, it shud become like everyones level 1!!

entrapment/burnover shud become an accredited unit, that everyone must be trained in before they get a pager and ride the trucks to calls...

rescue5271

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 07:27:56 AM »
I think we should teach it in BFF1 and also do it each year or couple of years at brigade level,most other fire services have members do it and its on there TAS form.

strikeathird

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 06:21:27 PM »
I believe it is in BFF1 but is also going ot be made compulsory every year prior to fire season....

Wagon 1

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 07:25:56 PM »
Yep, we were told, if you don't attend and get signed off, your not riding the truck!

Offline Fire_Rescue96

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 07:38:51 PM »
I think that stopping people riding the truck just because they havent done the burnover unit is a bit dramastic! I could only understand if your going to a big grass fire but thats about it.
When I am called to duty, God wherever flames may rage, Give me strength to save a life, whatever be its age.

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 09:06:48 PM »
Yep, we were told, if you don't attend and get signed off, your not riding the truck!

good stuff i think.

Offline calspec

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 03:52:01 AM »
Just to confirm, Yes, the crew protection training and Dead Man Zone are included in BFF1.  They are compulsary components and must be passed to get accredited.  I happened to mention this to our BTO, and even though I completed this training less than 5 months ago, it is still considered a "must do" before the fire season or "you won't be permitted to attend incidents". So it seems that brigades have been instructed to ensure that all personnel undergo this training - no buts!

rescue5271

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2005, 07:12:46 AM »
Yes we do shoe dead man zone in bff1 but there is no requirment to to  or show new members what to do if you get caught out on the fireground....

Offline backburn

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2005, 11:11:19 AM »
I was told one brigade has refused to do it. All the members have said they can only sack us. Once should be enough it shows on there data base they have done it.  :roll:

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2005, 04:12:44 PM »
...it is still considered a "must do" before the fire season or "you won't be permitted to attend incidents"...

Does that mean ANY incidents, or just rural fires? Why kick someone off the truck for an MVA?

Offline Firefrog

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2005, 06:38:29 PM »
Let's put this in perspective.

CFS are not telling us to do this training session to give us yet another thing to do.
The session is vital in ensuring that if an appliance and or crew is in trouble everyone knows what to do and does it.

This training is compulsory so that CFS knows that they have done everything they can to help you the fire fighter not be injured or killed.

This training is not new, I was taught it many years ago in level 1 and I have constantly trained my crews on it all summer over the years. Constant training in disicplines like this will save your life.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »
Good call Firefrog, I wasn't having a go at the training, - my brigade does the training annually too, I just think its a little extreme to not let people respond if they haven't done it... (respond to non-rural jobs that is..)

Offline OMGWTF

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2005, 10:24:49 PM »
CFS operationally = un-predictable

you could be going to an MVA and end up at a grassfire
you could be going to anythign and end up at something waaayyy differant, has happened to us..

"respond: RCR" it was a nice warm day.. heading towards it, could see smoke, got there car had caught fire and started quite a large grassie.. but i know what you mean CFS_Firey

Offline Mike

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2005, 08:01:47 AM »
If it was a full days training.... I could see why people would have problems with it. We only started training on it just before the fire season a few years ago, but is well worth the effort.

Fair enough it takes up a training night where you might want to be doing something else and there is potential to be stuck in a dual cab truck with 6 other big, sweaty, somewhat smelly people!

But in the end its a bit of fun and well work reaffirming the methods in your mind. Besides, how many people do you hear saying I learnt hose drill in level 1 say dont need to do that anymore (I know thered be someone out there!), not very often I wouldnt think.

Wagon 1

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 10:17:49 PM »
Which ever brigade is refusing to do it must be made up of a number of very, very childish people, the session takes maybe an hour on training night, if that Captain wants to have up to 6 deaths on his hand and possibly be sued by the families of those 6 people, then fine, but really GROW UP YOU MORONS!!
Maybe a sacking wouldn't be such a bad thing. Perhaps an old fashioned sacking!!

strikeathird

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 10:57:00 PM »
^ Agrees.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2005, 12:45:44 AM »
Did anyone say there were brigades refuisng to do the training? I seriously doubt any brigade would be stupid enough not to... :|

anything