Author Topic: Adelaide Hills newspaper article  (Read 6203 times)

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Adelaide Hills newspaper article
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:04:28 AM »
Three things interested me on this article & I have some questions

1/ Is the dead trees more prominent ? Are they only worried about near access roads or properties ?

It is good that both opinions (for & against) on the amount of dead trees are listed in the article.

2/ Interesting that people complain about the 4 to 5 metres clearance when CFS website http://www.cfs.sa.gov.au/site/bushfire/news/native_vegetation_management/new_rules_for_native_vegetation.jsp details up to 20m from a building and up to 5m from a structure.

3/ The fire summit is mentioned, but the AFAC 2011 summit is in Sydney according to http://www.afac2011.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=70. Does anyone know what summit this is ?

--------------------------------------------
Adelaide Hills councils clear dying trees ahead of fire season

Source: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/deadly-problem-for-hils-dwellers/story-e6frea6u-1226116955114

AUTHORITIES in the Adelaide Hills are waging a winter war on overgrown trees ahead of the bushfire season.

Hills mayor Bill Spragg said the number of dead trees had risen 200-300 per cent higher than usual and the council had begun the huge task of clearing fuel loads.

He said there were more dead trees in his council now than in the 30 years he had lived in the area.

"I have not seen the levels of dead wood reach this extent before, it is going to be an issue, they appear to be dying all throughout the Hills," he said. "They are all dying because of the drought two years ago, they have succumbed to the stress and have never recovered."

The council has begun slashing "substantial" numbers of the trees and vegetation, and clearing up fire tracks in preparation for the potentially dangerous season ahead. He said between 60 and 70 per cent of trees in the Cherryville area, near Montacute, were dead.

Some Hills residents, however, feel the council has gone overboard.

"I have never seen the clearance levels so severe, they will always throw the bushfire threat in our faces but some of the trees they are hacking, like my radiata pines do not grow back," a Crafers resident said.

He said some vegetation had been cut back 4-5m from houses and every other day there were traffic delays as workers hacked into trees.

Arborist Marcus Lodge, of Arborman Tree Solutions, agreed vegetation in the Hills was "thick" but disagreed that dead tree levels were at an all-time high.

"There are areas in the Hills where some of the trees are dying off in patches, and that can look quite bad, but I do not know if the number has actually increased," he said.

Country Fire Service manager operation services Rob Sandford said Hills homeowners should start their fire preparation now.

"While it is too early to predict spring growth and the subsequent severity of the upcoming fire danger season, the CFS always recommends that people use the winter and early spring months to prepare their home from the risk of bushfire," he said.

"It is good practice to start preparing your bushfire survival plan now, well ahead of any fire danger, as you must make important decisions about what you will do in the event of a bushfire, before the fire season starts."

Adelaide next week hosts a national fire safety summit to identify the dangers of the upcoming fire season.
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Hills newspaper article
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »
potentially dangerous season ahead.

Isnt every bushfire season a potentially dangerous for South Austalia....in all seriousness its good to see councils working real hard to clean up excessive fuel loads that have built up and clearing fire tracks  
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I had not really noticed any more or less dead treas than in past years. And from my experience they both burn pretty well in a good fire.

Offline Robert-Robert34

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
We don't notice the dead trees bittenyakka as the ones they are referring too most likely are in amongst the thick scrub and dense vegetation
Kalangadoo Brigade

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:47:28 AM »
My area has several dead gums - they have been dying off over the past few years...mostly in amongst existing scrub.... I am not sure if they are the trees that the council are referring to......?

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline bittenyakka

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 11:00:33 PM »
We don't notice the dead trees bittenyakka as the ones they are referring too most likely are in amongst the thick scrub and dense vegetation

What i meant to say is every year some trees are dead and this year it doesn't seem much different to other years.

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 11:17:25 PM »
I think the number of dead trees appears to be a lot more than previous years...but for some of them, they have been slowly dying for a number of years, and are only now quite obviously dead.....

And I agree Bittenyakka, no more than the last few years....just perhaps more obvious!

Pip
There are three types of people in the world.  Those that watch things happen, those who make things happen, and those who wonder what happened.

Offline Alan J

• Forum Lieutenant
  • Certified Flamin' Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 01:18:21 PM »
Maybe someone important has finally twigged to the idea that making roadsides into vegetation reserves
is the rural equivalent of storing your paints & other flammables in the fire stairs.
i.e.
stupid
stupid
stupid.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:22:11 PM by Alan J »
Alan J.
Cherry Gdns CFS

Data isn't information.  Information isn't knowledge. 
Knowledge isn't wisdom.

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 01:40:55 PM »
I'm also interested to know why they think standing dead trees are a fire hazard.  Surely the fuel on ground level, (due to the wet year we've had), is more of a concern?

Offline senti@nt

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
Sounds like phytophthora is spreading.  Don't panic people. There'll be no trees at all before long

Offline Pipster

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:32:16 PM »
Some perhaps yes, certainly in other areas unlikely to be phytophthora.

For some of the trees, it is more likely stress related to drought......

Pip

anything