Author Topic: St John radios @ Royal Show  (Read 2680 times)

AirWick

St John radios @ Royal Show
« on: August 19, 2011, 01:30:13 PM »
I was interested into listening to St johns at the royal show. Does anyone know what frequencies they will use.

Also what amount of staffing do they have at the royal show clinic? I'm guess for an event this size they would have alot of Doctors and Paramedics to support the cadets?

Offline bajdas

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
Re: St John radios @ Royal Show
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 06:54:48 PM »
Some general details on http://www.sascan.net.au/?page=infPages/ambStJohnFreq

From 'SA-Scan Yahoo Group' listed some possible frequencies in a posting dated 15th August.

I would suggest join the group to view the posting
Andrew Macmichael
lives at Pt Noarlunga South.

My personal opinion only.

AirWick

Re: St John radios @ Royal Show
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 03:01:22 PM »
I went to the show and actually visited the St. Johns room. Being a first year paramedic degree student I was interested in how they do things.

I was quite surprised. They were very friendly and one of the St. Johns Paramedics (also a SAAS paramedic) showed me around.

What I thought would be just a first aid room was essentially a hospital complete with resuscitation room, monitors, drugs, sutures, IV fluid etc.

I got to speak to some of their Nurses (who work in hospital ED's when not volunteering) and their general first aid volunteers they call either 1st responders or advanced responders depending on their qualifications (similar to SAAS volunteer level certificate 2,3 & 4).

They spoke openly about big changes that have occured in their organization with more to come. They are even giving consideration to having both paid and volunteer St. Johns staff at events.

I have to admit I left with a different idea and impression about their work and level of staff. Considering them an interesting topic for future Uni assignments.