Author Topic: Pager Acknowledgement messages  (Read 24344 times)

misterteddy

Re: Pager Acknowledgement messages
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2011, 11:23:25 PM »
Our brigade is still using the new pager acknowledgement system and we find it very good. The operators are polite and understanding as it takes me no longer than 20 secs to place the message.

But I guess with most new systems in CFS, some "Chardonnay" brigades continually want to be negative unless it's their idea.

Matt, "get with the times" be open to new systems of work, after all it was your Region that insisted they need a fourth option to acknowledge pager messages with Adelaide Fire!!! 

What's your next suggestion.....carrier pigeons???
JB

JB....clearly you know nothing of Matt nor his Brigade. Both have been at the forefront of introducing technology to the CFS. I would suggest they are about as "open to new technolgy" a group of people as u can get. I hardly think his Brigade thinks of itself as a Chardonnay brigade...lmao. Knowing him, I'm very happy to take his word that it didnt work for those people he talked to. His experience matched the SAAS volunteer experience which resulted in them (SAAS) ditching the system too. The criticism was not of the idea....just the poor executuion by the contractor

Always good to see new people join the Forum....be nice if some would do some reading before openly criticising individuals

Offline mattb

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 07:45:57 AM »
John, spend five minutes looking back through the thread and you will see what some of our concerns were.

We had multiple instances where the person on the other end of the phone took a couple of minutes to try and interpret what we were trying to do, even though they had a script in front of them with drop down fields, they still stuffed it up. When you aim to be on the road in four minutes, a delay of two minutes at the station waiting for someone who is on the phone is definitely an issue for my 'Chardonnay' brigade.

We also witnessed delays of up to twenty minutes from the time we spoke to the operator until the time the message was actually sent on the network, possibly not ideal...

My biggest problem was the fact that we were not speaking with Adelaide Fire, and therefore were unable to get any further information about the job. Quite often between the time the initial page is sent, and the couple of minutes later when we ring in to acknowledge more information is available, and our guys routinely ask. It might be just as simple as the operator saying we are getting multiple calls, or we've had a call from the premises and they are telling us it is burnt toast, this can make a difference to the thought process of our 'Chardonnay' officers.

If the system works for your brigade that is excellent, because it means that for brigades like mine that prefer to speak to a real life fire service comcen operator they will have a better chance, because your brigade will be speaking to a Link Paging operator in Jakarta.

Well if the services insist on removing the ability to be able to speak with Adelaide Fire, I would suggest using one of the buttons on the Alpha OAD and programming it to send an acknowledgment message. But lets hope it doesn't get to that because that too could have its own issues.

pumprescue

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 05:43:55 PM »
John, you must have rung the 1 time that you got someone that knew what they were doing....it was a trial, a poor trial at best, most of the feedback was of poor service and delayed times.

I asked the guys at Adelaide Fire and they said in an ideal world they would prefer radio first, then phone and this system as a last resort.

Once CAD starts these acknowledgements are going to be even more vital as CAD works off trucks not stations as it does now, so you really do need to speak to Adelaide Fire.

Offline John

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »
I'm sorry my positive comments offended the "regulars". I must learn that this site is not about "free speech" but agreeing with the 10 or so regular posters.

Look Mattb I must be wrong and a fool to disagree with you, as you are the font of all knowledge and information.

As a CFS member for 30 years and shock horror I enjoy the many vlounteers and staff I have met I must learn to become more like the "6 %ers" and only look at the negatives.

You are right with the pager acknowledgement and the 10 instances I used it on behalf of my brigade, the operator took 10 secs to answer me, understood me and spelt the names correct. Yes I think we should never use the service again!!!

There is no free speech on this forum....I'd better stop now or you will lock me out of these discussions too!!

JB

misterteddy

« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2011, 10:00:55 PM »
I'm sorry my positive comments offended the "regulars". I must learn that this site is not about "free speech" but agreeing with the 10 or so regular posters.

Look Mattb I must be wrong and a fool to disagree with you, as you are the font of all knowledge and information.

As a CFS member for 30 years and shock horror I enjoy the many vlounteers and staff I have met I must learn to become more like the "6 %ers" and only look at the negatives.

You are right with the pager acknowledgement and the 10 instances I used it on behalf of my brigade, the operator took 10 secs to answer me, understood me and spelt the names correct. Yes I think we should never use the service again!!!

There is no free speech on this forum....I'd better stop now or you will lock me out of these discussions too!!

JB

so for the entire duration of the trial you used the system 10 times?....maybe you might care to allow the guys that used it (in some cases ) daily to have their say and express their opinion....just as you seek to express your own

Offline jaff

• Forum Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
Must be a full moon!
Just Another Filtered Fireman

pumprescue

« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
I would just like to say a warm hello to all the staff monitoring this site ;)

Offline CFS_Firey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2011, 12:30:32 PM »
I would just like to say a warm hello to all the staff monitoring this site ;)

You were doing so well on your own! ;)

Your views are welcome, however your personal attacks on forum members are not.  Had you read the rest of this thread you would have seen quite clearly why some brigades provided negative feedback, and it should have been obvious that these opinions were justified, despite being different from your own.
I'm sure we'd all be happy to hear about your positive experience, but dismissing everyone else's in favour of yours in not helpful.

Offline John

• Forum Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Have read and understood all the threads, comments etc and it's plainly clear this group does not want to have meaningful discussions on many subjects.

It would be good to lift the level of discussions and not attack everyone who has a different point of view and actually discuss the topic.

Thanks JB.

misterteddy

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
Have read and understood all the threads, comments etc and it's plainly clear this group does not want to have meaningful discussions on many subjects.

clearly you look but don't see. There have been more discussion and arguments on new scheiße on this forum than you would see in a month of Sundays at a Region/State or Infrastructure gab-feast. Just because the discussions do not agree with you, does not mean they don't happen.

It would be good to lift the level of discussions and not attack everyone who has a different point of view and actually discuss the topic.

I do believe you started it.....so if you're in the glass bunker gear, best avoid the rocks
... But I guess with most new systems in CFS, some "Chardonnay" brigades continually want to be negative unless it's their idea.

Matt, "get with the times" be open to new systems of work, after all it was your Region that insisted they need a fourth option to acknowledge pager messages with Adelaide Fire!!! 

JB

pumprescue

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2011, 09:16:06 PM »
People that used it shared their experiences, most were bad. I hate to say it but if it wasn't for these "Chardonnay" brigades we would still be loading the tank onto Jims truck when their was a fire....

Offline Alex

• Forum Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 05:50:33 PM »
PARA GROUP INFO;PLEASE STOP USING THE 1300 NUMBER FOR PAGER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT IMMEDIATELY AS PER PHONECALL FROM REGION REVERT BACK TO PREVIOUS NOTIFICATION SYSTEM - CFS Para Group Info

MAWSON INFO: PLEASE STOP USING THE 1300 NUMBER FOR PAGER ACKNOWLEDGEMENT IMMEDIATELY AS PER PHONECALL FROM REGION 1 - MDGO2 - CFS Mawson Group Info